Charger Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been up and down all of these hemi forums trying to figure out if a CAI will increase horse power to my R/T. I've heard everything from 8hp up to 24hp. Some say it does not(only sounds good, better mpg). What is the "truth"? Does anybody really know? :confused:

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
No proof from me just like I said on the other threads but I installed my MOPAR CAI the other night and I think there is some HP gain just from the feel. I have just over 5000 miles now so when it feels differant I can tell. And as far as Miles Per Gallon I now average about 1 to 2 more MPG then before all local miles. Before 12.5 to 13.5 now 14 to 15 AMPG. Is it the CAI I don't know but it is the only performance MOD so far.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Charger_R/T said:
I have been up and down all of these hemi forums trying to figure out if a CAI will increase horse power to my R/T. I've heard everything from 8hp up to 24hp. Some say it does not(only sounds good, better mpg). What is the "truth"? Does anybody really know? :confused:
I am as skeptical as anyone on this, the problem is I don't know which way to be skeptic. It sounds as if the Mopar CAI is the favorite and that is what I intend to go with but does it get HP? Heck, I don't know to believe numbers on forums or just take some peoples words for it. I believe the numbers but almost any other vehicle with a less restrictive intake improves performance. I have seen tricks like pulling the restrictor out of a Jeep Cherokee air box and getting 5 HP, a three minute MOD.
My Charger is on order so could anyone look at their factory air box (if not looked already) and see if it is restrictive at all? I would think you could tell by looking at it can't you?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you test a cai on a dyno how does it get air if the car is standing still?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Charger_R/T said:
When you test a cai on a dyno how does it get air if the car is standing still?
hmmm, yes indeed. But I think most of the test would be done with the hood off so the air would be ambient coming in... no ram air induction though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure there is a big difference when the cai is sucking in air standing still and when 60mph wind is being forced into it.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Charger_R/T said:
I'm sure there is a big difference when the cai is sucking in air standing still and when 60mph wind is being forced into it.
A lot of dyno runs are made with huge commercial fans sitting right in front of the car to help get a more accurate number. :)

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
i agree that is the same issue i have had with the lxforums tests but i am not a mechanic so i have kept my mouth shut.....i don't understand how the air standing still thing works either? i belive that if you feel a difference something had to have changed...i am also on the side that "when" the tuners/programmers become available it "will" free up alot more hp than it is now.....i say if you are leaning on a fence - go for it....everyone says it sounds great and looks great so if only for that - i would do it

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Keep in mind guys that because there is no MAF sensor, the computer does not recognize more air flow which is what the CAI's purpose is. A lot a LX guys have gone with CAI's that turn down and draw a cooler/denser from low in the engine compartment, or are made to sit under the wheel well to get the coolest air possible, which all engines will utilize to make more top end power, including the LX cars. Mike

·
Registered
52 Posts
the Commercial fans in front of the car, while being dyno'd are there for the Radiator. Cause after 10 or 15 miniutes of Dyno Runs, Cars overheat because of the lack of air cooling the engine.

They are not there to compensate for Ram air flow into the motor. I suspect that the fans are way short of producing the same effect in the combustion chamber.

Thus I"m sceptical of dyno's for that reason alone. To me, if you were getting 13 MPG, and after you put in a CAI, you got 14 MPG. That is an indicator of preformance increase. That is a true indicator of a 7.7 percent increase in MPG. Now I know there are to many other factors involved for a calculation to be this simple, but if you equate 7.7 percent increase in MPG. Using the same percentage to HP, you'd see 366 HP, from the stock 340 HP. This actually isn't all that far from the advertised 21 HP increase by adding some CAI 's.

Thus, I believe there should be, and probably is a HP increase.... assuming, alot. ie ... your exhaust can handle the increased flow... la de da.

Tricster.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
nice work tricster...if i need a lawyer or witness you are my "expert" witness....i have to agree, alot of what you are saying makes plenty of sense to me and i am actually of the same mind set on your numbers....there is an increase..now the 21hp...not sure, but there has to be some increase. my thing with a dyno also is the temp. - guys up north can dyno so much better than we can down here in the deep deep south b/c of the temp differences...so the whole dyno thing doesn't really make much of a difference to me. i want to hear guys say that they feel and hear the power. that is the trusty buttocks hp indicator!!!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Probably even a better calculation would be mine before and after I added my Jet chip.

I got 21.3 MPG in my Charger the tank before I added the chip. The next tank, I got 22.8. No change in driving habits. That also is a 7 percent increase in MPG.

So the Calculation again, based on 340 stock HP, would be 363.9 HP. That would be 23.9 more HP than stock, and the advertised HP gain is 25.

Using the 13, to 14 numbers were just ball park numbers, but the figures of mine were exact calculations.

Again, I am not an engineer, but it makes sense to me.

Tricster

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
with the jet chip do you have to use 91 oct.? or still using 89?

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Tricster said:
the Commercial fans in front of the car, while being dyno'd are there for the Radiator. Cause after 10 or 15 miniutes of Dyno Runs, Cars overheat because of the lack of air cooling the engine.

They are not there to compensate for Ram air flow into the motor. I suspect that the fans are way short of producing the same effect in the combustion chamber.

Thus I"m sceptical of dyno's for that reason alone. To me, if you were getting 13 MPG, and after you put in a CAI, you got 14 MPG. That is an indicator of preformance increase. That is a true indicator of a 7.7 percent increase in MPG. Now I know there are to many other factors involved for a calculation to be this simple, but if you equate 7.7 percent increase in MPG. Using the same percentage to HP, you'd see 366 HP, from the stock 340 HP. This actually isn't all that far from the advertised 21 HP increase by adding some CAI 's.

Thus, I believe there should be, and probably is a HP increase.... assuming, alot. ie ... your exhaust can handle the increased flow... la de da.

Tricster.
True, they are there to keep the radiator cool, but when testing CAI like the Callaway Honker intake, which I had on my 95 Impala SS, they dynoed with a fan blowing at the front end to "help" simulate air flow at speed as opposed to sitting with only the car's air pump to draw from. :)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
The truth? You can't handle the truth!!...as a former "rice grinder" enthusiast, I can tell you from real world experience( dyno runs and 1/4 mile runs on my own vehicles) CAI's add very little to h.p. or et's...NOW FUEL ECONOMY SEEMS TO INCREASE! All of my cars seemed to increase gas milage by a mile or two per gallon, most likely due to less turbulence in the intake tract( meaning better atomization of the fuel/air mixture) and a better burn...but not a stronger burn....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts