Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey - I know I've had the car coming on two years, but I only discovered yesterday that the speedo actually records a speed whilst reversing (it gives the speed going backwards!). I didn't know these cars did that!

Guess there's no 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' type method of taking off the miles! I assume that driving in reverse adds miles 'onto' the odometer.....

Anybody know?

(not that I am planning on running the car in reverse for thousands of miles....) :)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Ok my job for today get kids on bus and go take the car for a spin in reverse to see if this works.

-Lynne

·
Registered
64 Posts
I noticed this a couple months ago whilst executing "reverse bootleg". Damn electronic wizardry really takes a lot of the fun out of things.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hey - I know I've had the car coming on two years, but I only discovered yesterday that the speedo actually records a speed whilst reversing (it gives the speed going backwards!). I didn't know these cars did that!

Guess there's no 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' type method of taking off the miles! I assume that driving in reverse adds miles 'onto' the odometer.....

Anybody know?

(not that I am planning on running the car in reverse for thousands of miles....) :)
You're not supposed to know this since you're supposed to be looking where you're going :) That is interesting information, though!

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heee.... Yeah... I better explain how I found that out..... :nervous s

I had reversed off of the drive ad quickly checked forward (to make sure that nobody was oncoming at my front) whilst still rolling backwards - just caught a glimpse of the speedo....

Honestly! :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Heee.... Yeah... I better explain how I found that out..... :nervous s

I had reversed off of the drive ad quickly checked forward (to make sure that nobody was oncoming at my front) whilst still rolling backwards - just caught a glimpse of the speedo....

Honestly! :)
Make the houses in the background of your avatar move the other way then! :D

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Note: Please ignore the Chargers you see flying down the road backwards, they are just testing their speedo in reverse:)

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Do you notice a delay when switching from reverse back to drive? By delay, I mean a longer than normal one. I can back up my '99 dakota, slow down enough to where the truck is barely rolling backwards, then switch it to drive and it takes off.

The charger pauses for what seems like forever, then lets me go forward.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have to admit that when I saw the title of this thread, I was [email protected] scared to look. ANY thread with the words arfur and speedo can't be good.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I have to admit that when I saw the title of this thread, I was [email protected] scared to look. ANY thread with the words arfur and speedo can't be good.
As Arf is not here yet let me just help him out:)

YOU WANKA SHURRUPP!!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Maxes out at 50. So no one has yet commented on THAT?!

Yes, there is a very annoying delay from R to D - come on, come on . . . SHIFT already!

Question, I don't recall: When you're spinning your tires (that's tyres in this thread I guess ;) ), does the speedo reflect the "speed" like in the old days?

I'm driving in reverse from now on, there are many advantages:

I won't have to shift back into D - I can just keep on going when leaving the driveway.
I now know I can get up to at least 50. That's fast enough for the around city commutes anyway.
There will no more lazy shifting - cuz there is none! I'm already IN the only gear I'll need.
I'll have all of the advantages of front wheel drive - which we know is so much superior (not).
If I run into anyone, I'll just claim the rear-ended ME!
My car interior will stay cleaner. No one will want to ride with me.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
R= Rapid :d

·
Registered
1,646 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
My 97 BMW M3 registered a speed in reverse too. I never tried above 40 though , so I don't know where theirs maxes out at.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts