Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
weapon r is a pretty good distributer in the sport compact world (cheap and effective) i have heard nothing but good reviews from their intake systems not sure about them on anything but a 4cyl eng. but def. a good company

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I haven't seen anyone who has that, and I wouldn't want to be the first to try it either.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Another product that defies the laws of physics by achieving 'flow gains' with no energy input.

I love that these companies can create energy.......:smoke:

Turbo Velocity Stack..... MMmmmmm - sounds really technical....

OK - lets pull this chit to pieces - I'm in the mood for it..... :smoke:

• The air filter can be totally taken apart and cleaned. The foam is denser and more thicker than the Dragon filter.
Well - that's good to know that it can be stripped and cleaned - glad they manufactured it with that in mind....:lol: "The foam is denser and more thicker"....oh dear - not a good start.....

• The velocity stank inside the air filter is a TRUE VELOCITY STACK. The Air filter has Ram Air capability, by hooking up the hose to the top of the air filter.
A velocity stack is actually the small trumpet shaped thing that gets stuck on the intakes of race cars - I can't see that device here, as they're stuck some blue squiggly chit right over that area in their picture. I suspect the any benefits this 'might' have had will be lost due to the filter body in front of it. Also,

"Although “racy” in appearance, velocity stacks do not usually have a major impact on airflow or performance. Most fuel systems already incorporate some kind of tapered entrance, nullifying what gains might be had from a velocity stack."

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_stack)

Also - ram air does NOT exist below approximately Mach 0.5 - so unless the vehicle this is fitted to can get to that speed, there will be no benefits here either..... I could go on - but that kills that claim.

Which means that there are really no benefits to this device anyway - so that bullet point can be considered BS.

• The intake has another Air Passage way inside the intake pipe to create a Air Fusion, imagine 2 different pathways of air inside the intake pipe, one air traveling in pathway #1 going 2 x faster than pathway #2. When the two different pathways of airflow meet at the end of the pipe they create a fusion effect which enhances the AIR SPEED of the by 3 times.
Air fusion - I'm assuming this is a made up name which basically means that two flowing bodies of air mix together? Not sure how they got a 3 x increase in air velocity.... To achieve an increase in air velocity without adding energy (turbo/fan - whatever), you need to add a restriction (a venturi) but when doing this, you lose pressure! Which means that although the gas may be going a little faster, it will be less dense... Less dense = less oxygen. Our vehicles have a speed/density air measuring system, which means that although there is an increase in gas flow, there will be a drop in density. Therefore, the net effect is in reality, bugger all - there is conservation of mass/conservation of energy. What might actually happen is that the added turbulence in the gas flow creates a loss of performance!

The Secret Weapon Intake Systems is an result of countless hours of testing and tuning of air intake velocity, Airmass and Airspeed for each vehicle application.

'Air intake velocity' an 'airspeed' are the same thing - why mention it twice?

The Result, an intake system that performs better than any Cold Air Intake, but with a Short Ram. It is possible by Weapon*R's Patent Pending Speed Velocity theory, By creating a higher airspeed in the intake path you increase airmass and airspeed, which greatly increase horsepower.

So you say! :). OMG - they have a new speed/velocity theory! Wow - I thought the current gas laws already dealt with this! And now we start getting the real BS! Creating a higher airspeed (gas velocity) results in a drop in pressure (as said previously). A drop in pressure equates to a reduction in the atoms passing a single point in the system. A reduction of atoms results in a drop in the mass flow...... It is physically impossible (without doing work on the gas - ie turbocharger) to increase both gas velocity and it's mass flow - can't be done. As Scotty would say "Ye canny change the laws of physics....". I am sure that Bernoulli and Newton would be very impressed to see these cowboys have defied physics.

Greatly increases horsepower! My ass! LOL

This is possible by Creating two different paths of airflow, both flowing at different airspeeds, due to the tubing diameter in which the air is traveling. Now when the 2 different paths of air meet,they create a vacuum, which is where the airspeed starts to multiply, forcing more air into the engine at a higher rate, creating more horsepower.

Bollocks - you cannot create a vacuum. yes, there may be a depresion formed, but not a vacuum. This is all BS in line with my previous comments - you cannot increase the flow rate of a gas and maintain it's pressure/density without doing work on it.

The Secret Weapon Intake Systems are carefully CNC mendrel bent out of 6061 Aluminum, and then Hand Tig Welded in sections to ensure a constant balance in airflow, regulation in airspeed, positive seal and proper fittment. Each one of these intake systems are carefully tuned, by matching the engines displacement, air intake capacity and airspeed to the intake systems tube size,length and secondary pathway tubing diameters to maximize the full potential of the SECRET WEAPON INTAKE SYSTEM.

Who GAF that it was CNC designed? I thought it was 'mandrel' anyway! Oh - this is all too much carp to be pulling apart bit by bit. It's just a load of old gobbly-**** that is meant to impress.......

This Intake is Matched with our Newly designed SW1 Filter, which provides maximum airflow, with the protection of high quality dense Poly Urethane Foam. Many studies have shown Flow rates of up to 80% more Air and Better Dirt Filtration with Foam Filter than the conventional cotton filter.

LOL - so, we have a filter element that has 80% more flow, but with increased filtration. Bollocks. Although there are systems that can filtrate and have a high flow rate - this aint one of them. Where's the evidence of these studies?!?! Many studies - how many? Ack.

The SW1 main feature is an Computer CAD Designed and Flow benched Tested TURBO Velocity Stack, which greatly increases airflow ,airspeed and airmass into the engine, therefore increasing engine performance.

No, no, no - not possible - you cannot increase flow and keep mass without work!

Another one of the SW1 Filters great features are the capability to be dis-assembled to be cleaned and then re-assembled after cleanings or to change the color of the foam filtering element.

You've already stated this previously - you struggling for chit to say, or what? :smoke:

As for the link to their 'More Details' carp, I had a look at that and it is also misleading and just plain wrong. Basically, they flow test a tube, then put another filter on and then test their own. The results seem to indicate (I say seem, cos I don't have the exact details of how the test was carried out) that the tube gives one reading of depression, which would be expected passing a gas though a tube.... Then their design of tube is tested, which shows an increase in the depression (gas slightly accelerated, but with a balancing loss in mass flow) - which would also be expected with a slightly smaller diameter tube. The K&N then goes on which actually shows less depression (probably due to the filter body chanelling the air more efficiently inot the tube). Then they test their own filter and show that they get the most depression within the tube. Probably because their filter element is more restrictive than the K&N - which makes sense.

So they've just shown that they have a more restrictive pipe and filter element when compared to the K&N (they get the biggest depression out of all systems tested). Well done lads.....:smoke:

Just to finish off:

"What does this all mean?
The Secret Weapon uses two important laws of physics to increase airflow. The first law is Boyles law. This law basically states that as air velocity increases, its volume increases as well, while the pressure decreases. The second law is the Bernoulli Equation, where a moving fluid (in this case air) has a lower pressure than air that is standing still, or is moving slowly. This same law is used in NASCAR for both downforce and "drafting." When we increase the air velocity in the intake, we create a low pressure area that draws a higher volume of air than a standard intake would. In layman's terms, we are creating a vacuum effect using natural laws of physics."

This is the biggest load of complete tosh ever. I am not even going to pull this to pieces - it's garbage. :alien:

That's it - I'm done.

Don't touch this POS with a barge-pole IMHO. :grin:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Another product that defies the laws of physics by achieving 'flow gains' with no energy input.

• The air filter can be totally taken apart and cleaned. The foam is denser and more thicker than the Dragon filter.
Well - that's good to know that it can be stripped and cleaned - glad they manufactured it with that in mind....:lol: "The foam is denser and more thicker"....oh dear - not a good start.....

• The velocity stank inside the air filter is a TRUE VELOCITY STACK. The Air filter has Ram Air capability, by hooking up the hose to the top of the air filter.
A velocity stack is actually the small trumpet shaped thing that gets stuck on the intakes of race cars - I can't see that device here, as they're stuck some blue squiggly chit right over that area in their picture. I suspect the any benefits this 'might' have had will be lost due to the filter body in front of it. Also,

"Although “racy” in appearance, velocity stacks do not usually have a major impact on airflow or performance. Most fuel systems already incorporate some kind of tapered entrance, nullifying what gains might be had from a velocity stack."

Also - ram air does NOT exist below approximately Mach 0.5 - so unless the vehicle this is fitted to can get to that speed, there will be no benefits here either..... I could go on - but that kills that claim.

Which means that there are really no benefits to this device anyway - so that bullet point can be considered BS.

• The intake has another Air Passage way inside the intake pipe to create a Air Fusion, imagine 2 different pathways of air inside the intake pipe, one air traveling in pathway #1 going 2 x faster than pathway #2. When the two different pathways of airflow meet at the end of the pipe they create a fusion effect which enhances the AIR SPEED of the by 3 times.
Air fusion - I'm assuming this is a made up name which basically means that two flowing bodies of air mix together? Not sure how they got a 3 x increase in air velocity.... To achieve an increase in air velocity without adding energy (turbo/fan - whatever), you need to add a restriction (a venturi) but when doing this, you lose pressure! Which means that although the gas may be going a little faster, it will be less dense... Less dense = less oxygen. Our vehicles have a speed/density air measuring system, which means that although there is an increase in gas flow, there will be a drop in density. Therefore, the net effect is in reality, bugger all - there is conservation of mass/conservation of energy. What might actually happen is that the added turbulence in the gas flow creates a loss of performance!

The Secret Weapon Intake Systems is an result of countless hours of testing and tuning of air intake velocity, Airmass and Airspeed for each vehicle application.

The Result, an intake system that performs better than any Cold Air Intake, but with a Short Ram. It is possible by Weapon*R's Patent Pending Speed Velocity theory, By creating a higher airspeed in the intake path you increase airmass and airspeed, which greatly increase horsepower.

So you say! :). OMG - they have a new speed/velocity theory! Wow - I thought the current gas laws already dealt with this! And now we start getting the real BS! Creating a higher airspeed (gas velocity) results in a drop in pressure (as said previously). A drop in pressure equates to a reduction in the atoms passing a single point in the system. A reduction of atoms results in a drop in the mass flow...... It is physically impossible (without doing work on the gas - ie turbocharger) to increase both gas velocity and it's mass flow - can't be done. As Scotty would say "Ye canny change the laws of physics....". I am sure that Bernoulli and Newton would be very impressed to see these cowboys have defied physics.

This is possible by Creating two different paths of airflow, both flowing at different airspeeds, due to the tubing diameter in which the air is traveling. Now when the 2 different paths of air meet,they create a vacuum, which is where the airspeed starts to multiply, forcing more air into the engine at a higher rate, creating more horsepower.

Bollocks - you cannot create a vacuum. yes, there may be a depresion formed, but not a vacuum. This is all BS in line with my previous comments - you cannot increase the flow rate of a gas and maintain it's pressure/density without doing work on it.

The Secret Weapon Intake Systems are carefully CNC mendrel bent out of 6061 Aluminum, and then Hand Tig Welded in sections to ensure a constant balance in airflow, regulation in airspeed, positive seal and proper fittment. Each one of these intake systems are carefully tuned, by matching the engines displacement, air intake capacity and airspeed to the intake systems tube size,length and secondary pathway tubing diameters to maximize the full potential of the SECRET WEAPON INTAKE SYSTEM.

Who GAF that it was CNC designed? I thought it was 'mandrel' anyway! Oh - this is all too much carp to be pulling apart bit by bit. It's just a load of old gobbly-**** that is meant to impress.......

This Intake is Matched with our Newly designed SW1 Filter, which provides maximum airflow, with the protection of high quality dense Poly Urethane Foam. Many studies have shown Flow rates of up to 80% more Air and Better Dirt Filtration with Foam Filter than the conventional cotton filter.

LOL - so, we have a filter element that has 80% more flow, but with increased filtration. Bollocks. Although there are systems that can filtrate and have a high flow rate - this aint one of them. Where's the evidence of these studies?!?! Many studies - how many? Ack.

The SW1 main feature is an Computer CAD Designed and Flow benched Tested TURBO Velocity Stack, which greatly increases airflow ,airspeed and airmass into the engine, therefore increasing engine performance.

No, no, no - not possible - you cannot increase flow and keep mass without work!

Another one of the SW1 Filters great features are the capability to be dis-assembled to be cleaned and then re-assembled after cleanings or to change the color of the foam filtering element.

You've already stated this previously - you struggling for chit to say, or what? :smoke:

As for the link to their 'More Details' carp, I had a look at that and it is also misleading and just plain wrong. Basically, they flow test a tube, then put another filter on and then test their own. The results seem to indicate (I say seem, cos I don't have the exact details of how the test was carried out) that the tube gives one reading of depression, which would be expected passing a gas though a tube.... Then their design of tube is tested, which shows an increase in the depression (gas slightly accelerated, but with a balancing loss in mass flow) - which would also be expected with a slightly smaller diameter tube. The K&N then goes on which actually shows less depression (probably due to the filter body chanelling the air more efficiently inot the tube). Then they test their own filter and show that they get the most depression within the tube. Probably because their filter element is more restrictive than the K&N - which makes sense.

So they've just shown that they have a more restrictive pipe and filter element when compared to the K&N (they get the biggest depression out of all systems tested). Well done lads.....:smoke:

Just to finish off:

The Secret Weapon uses two important laws of physics to increase airflow. The first law is Boyles law. This law basically states that as air velocity increases, its volume increases as well, while the pressure decreases. The second law is the Bernoulli Equation, where a moving fluid (in this case air) has a lower pressure than air that is standing still, or is moving slowly. This same law is used in NASCAR for both downforce and "drafting." When we increase the air velocity in the intake, we create a low pressure area that draws a higher volume of air than a standard intake would. In layman's terms, we are creating a vacuum effect using natural laws of physics."

This is the biggest load of complete tosh ever. I am not even going to pull this to pieces - it's garbage. :alien:

That's it - I'm done.

So. . . .you're saying you don't like it? :smoke:

DENIED the Arfur seal of approval!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
and it says it has a velocity stank.

i'm not sure what that is but it doesn't sound good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I glad somebody here is not having sex so we can get this information.

JOKING JOKING JOKING

Good post Arfur!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Arfur strikes again. I'm glad you're here to wade through the details for us. BTW, 27k posts?! Step away from the computer man, lol! j/k, good work.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Arfur.... you're drunk aren't you? Yeah, I think so. :smoke:

wish I could be that lucid when I was smashed! LOL!

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Arfur strikes again. I'm glad you're here to wade through the details for us. BTW, 27k posts?! Step away from the computer man, lol! j/k, good work.
Hehehe - if I wasn't unaccompanied out here, I wouldn't be on such a high post count. So at the end of the day, it's SWMBO's fault.... :nervous s

As for that advert, it's a common trick used in a lot of advertising for carp performance bits on cars. Just spew out enough long words and complicate the description as much as possible and the normal guy on the street will think that there must be credibility in the product. For example in this particular advert (and the link) we have Boyle's Law mentioned, as well as Bernoulli - and as people might remember those names from a dim and distant school past, as well as the fact that if you look them up, they are quite complicated - they start to believe that any advert mentioning these theories/laws MUST be on the level....... Unfortunately, this is seldomly the case - quite the opposite most of the time.....

I just hate to see the forum members wasting their hard earned mod money on ****e. I'd hate to see the peeps here being disappointed with something they thought was going to offer the world, but delivers next to naff-all. It's not nice for people to experience that.

It really is a case of Caveat Emptor.......

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Arfur.... you're drunk aren't you? Yeah, I think so. :smoke:

wish I could be that lucid when I was smashed! LOL!
HIC! :nervous s

·
Registered
17 Posts
Seriously Arfur you mention that RamAir does not work under mach .5, and I have heard that from several sources as well but I never heard it explained well. could you give a quick explanation. Remember your explaining to an idiot who just figured out its the pedal on the right that makes the car move LOL.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
yea. i read thru it and started to post... then i see mr. smart guy arfur shutting these guys down and catching everything i wanted to point out ;(

i lose. ARF! IM SPOSED TO WIN! look at the name.

grrR!

you know you could blame all the mispellings in the description on whoever made the ebay ad.

but then even in the ILLUSTRATION.. they mispell the word... "illastration" or illist..." something i cant remember.. but its ugly.

not something id put on anything more expensive than a civic

·
Registered
487 Posts

Just to finish off:

That's it - I'm done.

Uh, I thought the first Law was Charles Law?

And I love it when you talk Science!

·
Registered
168 Posts
The headbanging pants monster strikes again. Have you ever ripped into a television program like that? Lol.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts

Just to finish off:

That's it - I'm done.

Sorry to say but he is right about boyles law. We use this in the Vacuum Technology equations at work to formulate speed of vacuum systems and the pumps that we use. It is used to formula the size of the venturi pump on a cryo sorption panel pump and to calculate the pumping speed of the restrictions of the ajoining pumping lines......P1V1=P2V2... Charles law V1/T1=V2/T2 concerns the temp. change and the volume it uses.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Sorry to say but he is right about boyles law. We use this in the Vacuum Technology equations at work to formulate speed of vacuum systems and the pumps that we use. It is used to formula the size of the venturi pump on a cryo sorption panel pump and to calculate the pumping speed of the restrictions of the ajoining pumping lines......P1V1=P2V2... Charles law V1/T1=V2/T2 concerns the temp. change and the volume it uses.
But it means bugger all in this application. And where's the heat energy?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts