Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It snowed today and the roads iced up very quickly. It was a lil nervreacking cause like i suspected the R/T was slipping and sliding all over. just a tap of the pedal sent me fish taling. the ESP helped a lil bit. but trying to stop a 4000 lb HEMI powered beast on ice is not easy. I hope "Elane" makes it through this winter and myself at that. lol. i will be putting on my snow tires this fri on my day off. i'v got the Bridgestone Blizzak which im told is pretty good. so...hear's a drink to the coming winter:beerchug:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
i have noticed that in the mornings when the powerplant is sucking in the 10 degree air, that she is very sensitive. i can tell "Elane" just wants to be unleashed!:driving:

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Yeah its not fun to drive in those conditions. I have to feather the throttle from a stop so i dont just stand there spinning :(

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Be really careful, I wouldn't drive a RWD in the snow but I see a Mustang or Firebird once in awhile, the Firebird was in the ditch!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
You just have to big toe that throttle haha, But i had no problem driving in icy conditions I just kept it slow and avoided using the throttle when i could. You will be fine, just be smart

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
Ive never driven in Anything worse than a hail storm but that was in my rwd drive suburban on proxy4's and I spun out :slap:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Driving on ice, you're screwed no matter what tires you have on there. Just take it slow and hope that no one else hits you, Airman!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Be really careful, I wouldn't drive a RWD in the snow but I see a Mustang or Firebird once in awhile, the Firebird was in the ditch!
Why not? When I grew up in the Chicago area, that's all everyone drove. Just have to learn how to drive a RWD vehicle in the snow. Here in Oklahoma, I've driven my RWD F-150 in the snow and ice with no troubles for the past 20 years.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I believe you can start in 2nd using your auto stick...that might help some when she's sucking in that 10 degree air!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
showoff! :biggrinjester:
:D

And yes, starting off in 2nd gear is a great way to reduce wheel-spinning torque off the line ... I used to do it in my last non-awd/4wd vehicle, my FWD 95 Taurus SHO and it helped a LOT.

Snow tires helped more :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
I often wonder why the AWD Charger models aren't more popular with people who live in locations with multiple seasons. I honestly would not have purchased a Charger if they came in RWD only.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
I often wonder why the AWD Charger models aren't more popular with people who live in locations with multiple seasons. I honestly would not have purchased a Charger if they came in RWD only.
RWD Vehicles have been around since the beginning and people drove them just fine. I drove my daytona 2 winters with the stock RSA tires and yeah they did not have the best of grip but for the most part the car handled very well. For my BEE I put on winter tires which I expect will help out considerably. AWD is nice don't get me wrong but you certainly don't need it to drive in the winter.

I had more troubles in with My Pontiac Grand Prix GXP with the 5.3 Litre FWD motor. Even though it was front wheel drive it sucked for snow traction. Way too much power. It's easier to control a rear wheel skid then to be dragged off the road by torque steer. LOL

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
My wife has a 07' Eclipse GT and that thing wants to rip the tires whenever it thinks it wet outside. But is she auto-sticks and pull in 2nd she doesn't have a problem. So I agree with BigBlack (no **** lol) by starting off in 2nd.
:D
And yes, starting off in 2nd gear is a great way to reduce wheel-spinning torque off the line ... I used to do it in my last non-awd/4wd vehicle, my FWD 95 Taurus SHO and it helped a LOT.

Snow tires helped more :D
YAY! I actually helped in a thread! :banana:

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
RWD Vehicles have been around since the beginning and people drove them just fine. I drove my daytona 2 winters with the stock RSA tires and yeah they did not have the best of grip but for the most part the car handled very well. For my BEE I put on winter tires which I expect will help out considerably. AWD is nice don't get me wrong but you certainly don't need it to drive in the winter.

I had more troubles in with My Pontiac Grand Prix GXP with the 5.3 Litre FWD motor. Even though it was front wheel drive it sucked for snow traction. Way too much power. It's easier to control a rear wheel skid then to be dragged off the road by torque steer. LOL
Definitely not needed, but AWD does make winter-driving a lot more fun :D

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts