Charger Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so. some one please explain to me why a cop feels the need to write me a ticket for following too closely and failing to signal for a lane change?

im cruisin down beltway 30 mins late to work not even speeding.. at least, not at the time but i was wanting to.

so im driving and come up on a car goin 55 and slow down enough to look for a route around. and then i notice the red and blues comin up. im thinkin some one is busted cuz i wasnt speeding. ***** gets behind me, and i have no idea why.

"sir do you know what could happen if you hit the bumper of another car? you could pile up 18 cars on this high way."

i frankly am not even sure when she saw me or what i was doing.. other than "not signaling" and "following to closely". i can only assume it had something to do with the fact that there were like a million people on the belt driving 50 mph when there wasnt even traffic. one of those "moving road blocks" as i liek to call em.

and im like 95% sure that whenever it was, i did signal. i ALWAYS signal. its habit. its like.. so second nature, its just part of turning the wheel when i turn. my finger always hits the damn thing. the fact that i dont even know for sure what she even saw... or thinks she saw is drving me nuts

itd be one thing if i was blowing down the free way at 100 mph and swerved 3 lanes of traffic cutting off cars behind me with out signaling. but come on.. 55 mph(est.) to get out from behind old fogeys who cant see over the steering wheel?

ugh. i jsut dont get it. im a real danger to this planet let me tell you. ****. id rather get a speeding ticket where i knew i was doing something wrong at least. im so dumb founded, and so furious im still shaking a little. i even had to bum a ciggarette off a co-worker and i quit smokign over 5 months ago.

i just... i dono. what is this world coming to? thats got to be the most ridiculous **** ive ever heard.

rant off. thx for listening.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
just fight the ticket. there is no way he can prove how close you were following and a no signal is a slap on the wrist from the judge. just tell him that when you click the turn signal it flashes three times, then turns off...maybe the cop missed it.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Man, that sucks... The prob as I see it is that some Cops would give tickets, some would not, some it all depends on their day, some depends on Quotas, some just are pissy......Sorry man for the lousy start to your FRIDAY................

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
I got a ticket for following too closely coming home from colorado, in some small town up near amarillo. The cop asked me why I was following so closely, I told him, "Well, it's dark, I don't know where I'm going, and my roommate in front of me does." He said, "that is your roommate you're following?" "Yes sir." "Well tell him to drive faster and you won't get another one of these tickets." I couldn't really go to court to fight it bc it is almost 9 hours away. So I have to take Defensive Driving. It SUCKS!!

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
She should have ticketed the person doing 55, that person was the real danger, not you. But then again I'm she she did not care as long as she could make some review for the city/county/state.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
She should have ticketed the person doing 55, that person was the real danger, not you. But then again I'm she she did not care as long as she could make some review for the city/county/state.
Why is it that the people that go 10 or more under the speed limit that drive others crazy or CAUSING road rage NEVER get pulled over, doesnt the law go both ways(to fast or to slow?) I think if you force people to do at least the speed limit you would see less accidents and less road rage...........

Any officers on here??

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
yea that sucks. i'd fight the ticket. i'd imagine her maybe giving u a warning if ur following like REALLY close, but still as long as you can see around the vehicle ur following then i dont think its that big a deal. there were probably at least 20 ppl who passed yall while u were pulled over that were doing more dangerous things

·
Registered
298 Posts
PCT. 5 Get you? Just take the "Following to Closely" to court and you will win. That ticket is generally reserved for an accident as that is the only way you can prove you were to close-had to hit something.

545.062. FOLLOWING[0] DISTANCE. (a) An operator shall, if
following[0] another vehicle, maintain an assured clear distance
between the two vehicles so that, considering the speed of the
vehicles, traffic, and the conditions of the highway, the operator
can safely stop without colliding with the preceding vehicle or
veering into another vehicle, object, or person on or near the
highway.

As for the "Fail to Signal" that one is nothing major and the judge may work something out with you. Just explain the fact that there was traffic, you were changing lanes due to another vehicle traveling under the speed limit impeding traffic. You signaled (Dodge 3 blinks) and got over and that is when you saw the deputy behind you.

Downside is: In the State of Texas, you must use your signal 100ft before and after the change of lane (So the Dodge 3 Blinks does not cover you) but it will probably depend on the judge.

545.104. SIGNALING TURNS; USE OF TURN SIGNALS. (a) An
operator shall use the signal authorized by Section 545.106 to
indicate an intention to turn, change lanes, or start from a parked
position.
(b) An operator intending to turn a vehicle right or left
shall signal continuously for not less than the last 100 feet of
movement of the vehicle before the turn.
(c) An operator may not light the signals on only one side of
the vehicle on a parked or disabled vehicle or use the signals as a
courtesy or "do pass" signal to the operator of another vehicle
approaching from the rear.

Good Luck.

Just incase you are interested: This is the statue that tells slow traffic to drive in the right lane.

545.051. DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY. (a) An
operator on a roadway of sufficient width shall drive on the right
half of the roadway, unless:
(1) the operator is passing another vehicle;
(2) an obstruction necessitates moving the vehicle
left of the center of the roadway and the operator yields the
right-of-way to a vehicle that:
(A) is moving in the proper direction on the
unobstructed portion of the roadway; and
(B) is an immediate hazard;
(3) the operator is on a roadway divided into three
marked lanes for traffic; or
(4) the operator is on a roadway restricted to one-way
traffic.
(b) An operator of a vehicle on a roadway moving more slowly
than the normal speed of other vehicles at the time and place under
the existing conditions shall drive in the right-hand lane
available for vehicles, or as close[0] as practicable to the
right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, unless the operator is:
(1) passing another vehicle; or
(2) preparing for a left turn at an intersection or
into a private road or driveway.
(c) An operator on a roadway having four or more lanes for
moving vehicles and providing for two-way movement of vehicles may
not drive left of the center line of the roadway except:
(1) as authorized by an official traffic-control
device designating a specified lane to the left side of the center
of the roadway for use by a vehicle not otherwise permitted to use
the lane;
(2) under the conditions described by Subsection
(a)(2); or
(3) in crossing the center line to make a left turn
into or out of an alley, private road, or driveway.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
tell me about it.

the ticket has the "speeding" box checked off. but in the violation 1 and 2 slots it has what i was cited for i guess. why is the box checked?

stupid ***** caint even hear. ask me where i work and wrote down the wrong road. i say withorn. she writes britmoore. is that cause enough for dismissal by any chance?

she spent like at least 10 mins behind me and even had backup called. i dont think she knew how to fill this out because he had to lean into the window and talk to her the whole time. never even approached my car. looks like the po's got too much time on their hands. but whats new. 7+ million people in houston and youd think there is more important things to deal with than someone like me.
i dont get this. i wanna be like that Ford GT commercial where the guy has a shipping crate next to him, closed and some foreigner(italian maybe i cant remember) says "whats wrong? american cars not good enough for you?" or something along those lines. Then the crate opens up and its the GT, and he replies "not the speed limits are too slow". lol

my boss put it to me one time like this, when my coworkers were yankin my chain about how i probly drive fast and crazy, and he goes "its not people like Miles im afraid of on the road, its the people who dont pay attention while driving and change lanes without looking into other people and stuff like that. im sure if he drives like that and hasnt been in an accident or been ticketed he knows what hes doing" aint that the truth (im only 21 btw)? ive avoided wrecks at 100 mph to people like this just be being able to read exactly what other people are going to do before they do it. frankly my driving is one of the few things i really take pride in, something i believe my self to be beyond good at.. i eve thought about picking up racing as a career, but def dont got hte funs to try to get into it. (is my head to0 inflated? am i really just an ignorant youngin'? haha)

idk. gotta get some work done, check back ina bit ;)

edit:sorry for long winded posts, but its my nature to attentive to detail.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have noted that in about 60% of cases for traffic violations the police officer does not show up to the case hearing. In these cases the violations was thrown out by the judge. (This was in Indiana, I am not sure here)

The following too closly is a judgement call and can be over ruled if you calm and state the facts. The turn signal violation may be more difficult. The judge will always favor the police officer if they make the apperance.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Got one of those myself Dude and for the same reasons. Guy in left lane trolling for 5 miles below the speed limit and blocking any chance for passing him on the right by riding next to other cars.

I was following him too closely! But, when the cop said I was also speeding I started to laugh. The whole reason I was follwoing him too closely was becuase we were going below the limit and I was trying to pass. Then, the cop switched it to that I was speeding when I came up the entrance ramp some 5 miles earlier. I asked him why he waited so long to pull me over since he had me dead top rights. At that point- it's see you in court officer!
Take a philisophical approach to these things. You probably deserve at least a ticket a day :) :) for the way you drive. Sometimes they are going to get you. It's the price of admission. Now, go fight it!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Why is it that most people who complain about getting traffic tickets can't spell, punctuate, or capitalize? Just an observation.......

·
Registered
846 Posts
Downside is: In the State of Texas, you must use your signal 100ft before and after the change of lane (So the Dodge 3 Blinks does not cover you) but it will probably depend on the judge.
[/I]
at 55mph, he is covering 80ft a second. the 3 blinks would have to be over in < 1.25 seconds. i dont THINK mine flash that fast, but i may need to go check!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Well, 100ft before and 100ft after the lane change would be atleast a 200ft of signal not counting the actual time you are between the intention to change lanes and the completion.

So at 80ft/sec it would take well over 2 secs to adhere to the law .... The rapid 3 blinks takes place in approx. 2 secs so he would still be in violation.

Just my thoughts, but I am not the one who pulled him over. If the officer shows up to court (which they are required to do - but some do not) he will lose the fail to signal charge because the prosecutor will more than likely side with the officer.

The Following to Close will probably be dropped due to no accident taken place.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Sort of a tangent here, but does anyone know if the dealer can program the blinker to repeat, say, six times? Or is this hard-coded?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Man, that sucks... The prob as I see it is that some Cops would give tickets, some would not, some it all depends on their day, some depends on Quotas, some just are pissy......Sorry man for the lousy start to your FRIDAY................
Ditto to the above. Yes, a lousy way to start your day, and weekend. Take the court date.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
In the mean time: use your turn signals, don't ride bumpers, stay away from 18 wheelers, no more than 10 over, no racing, pass on the left, stay alert, no drinking, and leave early so you have time to spare.
Enjoy the Ride.

·
Registered
706 Posts
In the mean time: use your turn signals, don't ride bumpers, stay away from 18 wheelers, no more than 10 over, no racing, pass on the left, stay alert, no drinking, and leave early so you have time to spare.
Enjoy the Ride.
+2 :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
lol u arent gonna beat the tickets, u could have a trial b/c its your right in this great country, but it'll wind up being your testimony vs. the officers testimony, unless that officer has some problem with her credibility you are S.O.L. pal, I don't know what state you are in, but in NJ, if you get more than one moving violation you can usually plead not guilty, show up to court, and the prosecutor may give you a plea deal and merge one violation into the other and you'll save on some points & fines, hope that helps

·
Registered
415 Posts
I certainly haven't taken the time to read through your 400 posts but I've noticed many times that the people that complain about getting stopped or getting tickets complain about the same thing several times. Coincidence, I don't think so.

I have stopped people before for 'following too closely' but I've never cited for it if an accident didn't occur or they didn't have to swerve out of the lane to avoid an accident. I do stop some of these knuckleheads that drive less than a car length behind another car at highway speed in heavy traffic to try to bring the dangers to their attention. In this case, assuming that you did not use your signal, I may have cited you for that and given a warning for the following too close. If it was just one lane change I probably wouldn't cite for that either. I generally like to observe (and get on my video camera) a minimum of two lane changes without a signal so I can so a pattern of not using it. Yes, I'm one of those Officers that do show up for court and before I write a ticket I know that I can testify accurately to what happened and why the citation was issued. Credibility with the judge goes a long way so hers may play into it also.

I stopped a gal last nite for speeding (laser at 85/55), improper lane changes, no insurance on the car and she had been drinking (.061, could have made a dui less-safe case on it but chose not to). I wrote her for the violations and impounded the car. She complained about the tickets and said she couldn't afford them because she just got some two weeks prior. She showed them to me and lo and behold, she got cited by another guy on my same unit for speeding, improper lane change and no insurance. People with bad driving habits often exhibit those same 'habits' over and over.

Don't know about your court system over there but you might want to consider asking the prosecutor (or judge, however your system works) if they would allow you to plead guilty on the 'fail to signal' (which is probably a very minimal fine and points) and drop the 'following too close'. If you can't do that then by all means, fight the tickets and let the chips fall where they may.

Good luck....and consider evaluating your driving habits. At 21 years old, you're a bit too young to be thinking your the best driver out there....what 21 year old doesn't think that and think they're invincible!!!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.