Charger Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now while I know that now one would ever buy a 5.7L HEMI for fuel economy, I am curious as to whether or not your Chargers are getting better or worse mileage when compared to the EPA estimates.

There are threads like this on other LX platform forums but I thought it would be nice to have our own. This applies to all types of Charger owners from the SE all the way up to the higher end models...

As far as format goes please be sure to include the following:

-Engine type: 5.7L HEMI, 3.5L, etc...
-Current odometer reading (supposedly the HEMI loosens up a lot after a couple thousand miles)
-type of oil used (if you have already changed it, oil weight apparently affects MDS)
-what octane fuel do you use?
-rough percentage of city/high miles
-driving styles (pedal masher, occasional WOT, granny. etc...)
-and lastly your miles per gallon

-George

·
Registered
5 Posts
After adding a Borla exhaust and a K&N Air charger mine was reading 33.1 on the expressway while cruising @ 70mph. It was about 79 degrees outside and flat highway for a few miles. I love it! Performance and gas mileage

·
Registered
154 Posts
-Engine type: 5.7L HEMI,
-Current odometer reading 1750
-type of oil used Original
-what octane fuel do you use? 89
-rough percentage of city/high miles 30/70
-driving styles (pedal masher, occasional WOT, granny. etc...)Occasional WOT, But very regulated
-and lastly your miles per gallon 19.1 avg.

·
Registered
662 Posts
-Engine type: 5.7L HEMI
-Current odometer reading: 2050
-type of oil used: Original
-what octane fuel do you use: 89
-rough percentage of city/highway miles: 25/75 (?)
-driving style: Lead Foot
-and lastly your miles per gallon: Best was 23.3 with lots of highway. Avg=19-20mpg

:cool:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hemi 5.7L
200 Miles
Original oil
Premium gas
all city driving
13.2 avg mpg

·
Registered
153 Posts
-Current odometer reading: 1550
-type of oil used: Original
-rough percentage of city/high miles: probably 60% city
-driving style: Lead Foot
-and lastly your miles per gallon: 18

I don't have the EVIC so I'm measuring manually. Only measured two tanks, one was 18 and one was closer to 17. If I was doing more highway and less city I guess I'd be above 20. I'll be sure to measure on my long trip in August.

·
Registered
131 Posts
-Current odometer reading: 1430
-type of oil used: Mobil 1 5W20 Full Synthetic
-rough percentage of city/high miles: probably 40% city
-driving style: The wife's ride/Easy does it/Snorttin' at Stangs...
-and lastly your miles per gallon: 19
-K&N CAI/Magna Flow Exhaust-No resonators

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Black Charger R/T Hemi:

Nothing added as of yet in the preformance area.
I drive 92 Highway miles daily to work and back.
I use the recommended 89 octane.

Actual Miles 1678.

1st Tank : 21 and some change.

2nd Tank : 24 and some change. :)

3rd and a partial add. ( mostly due to the partial add, and my loving the heck out of driving it, was afraid to really check ).

4th tank : ( on it now, so not complete )

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
I just got back from driving my SXT down to FL from VA. I averaged just over 26 mpg driving down (75+ mph average speed). On the way home, my best tank was just over 28 mpg (70+ mph average speed - slower speed because of more cops on the road :whistle: ). In town (and in bumper-to-bumper traffic), I average over 21 mpg.

I have over 6200 miles on my Charger.

Also, on my 2-week trip, I saw only one other Charger. Someone had it at the class I was attending. I never found out who, though. They were only there for a couple of days.

·
Registered
544 Posts
RT
1800 kilometers (1116 miles)
oil (whatever it came with)
I just did my first highway trip and after resetting my Average MPG I was registerring 27 mpg.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would sure consider changing the oil sooner with those of you that have 1500 -2500 miles, but this is just my humble opinion. Big fan of synthetic, and though some suggest the valves will seat better with regular oil, Vipers, Vettes and Porsches come with Mobil 1 at birth.

Considering gas mileage, if we use our customers that have had 300Cs for quite awhile as the basis, 20-27mpg on the highway is very common, and that seems to be borne out by many of your examples. We have noted that many folks respond that mileage improved after they had over 10,000 miles. Overall, for a 4,000lb Hot Rod, many will be pleased that the Charger motors down the road while sipping fuel akin to a V6 Honda Accord. Great thread and it will be interesting to continue to see how everyone does with a machine that begs for hammer time every time you plop down in the seat.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Bill Pemberton said:
I would sure consider changing the oil sooner with those of you that have 1500 -2500 miles, but this is just my humble opinion. Big fan of synthetic, and though some suggest the valves will seat better with regular oil, Vipers, Vettes and Porsches come with Mobil 1 at birth.

Considering gas mileage, if we use our customers that have had 300Cs for quite awhile as the basis, 20-27mpg on the highway is very common, and that seems to be borne out by many of your examples. We have noted that many folks respond that mileage improved after they had over 10,000 miles. Overall, for a 4,000lb Hot Rod, many will be pleased that the Charger motors down the road while sipping fuel akin to a V6 Honda Accord. Great thread and it will be interesting to continue to see how everyone does with a machine that begs for hammer time every time you plop down in the seat.

Enjoy!
Thats just my problem I CANT keep out of that 5.7 so my mileage sucks about 15 mpg mostly city stop and go. Just got serviced at dealer 3400 miles on her thus far.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just returned from a 2500 mile road trip from Charlotte to New York (down State and up State), Connecticut and Western Massachusetts. Trip included some local towns and Citys and open highway 70+ mile/hr. Average was 22.3 miles/gallon with 89 octane. I am pleased - this not withstanding the comfort and performance or my black loaded R/T.

·
Registered
89 Posts
wow these cars get decent gas miledge huh? I thought that was going to be a serious problem when i thought about getting the Hemi. My 02 Stratus coupe only gets like 25 mpg...

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have just about 2800 on mine and Id say the mpg is on 16.3 and 50/50 city highway driving. The thing is, you really wanna romp on it when you get in the car so its tought to not get on it. Id say itll get a couple mpg better as I drive it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Butter06 said:
I have just about 2800 on mine and Id say the mpg is on 16.3 and 50/50 city highway driving. The thing is, you really wanna romp on it when you get in the car so its tought to not get on it. Id say itll get a couple mpg better as I drive it.
Mostly city driving and I can't stay off the gas either. :embarrese
Currently getting 15.5-16 mpg
I have been leaving up the gas mileage on the dash to try to remind myself to take it easy, but it hasn't worked yet...

If I reset the mpg indicator while I'm on cruise control going 60 it will stay well over 25mpg though, got it to break 30mpg for a while, but I guess that was downhill or something... :lol:

·
Registered
38 Posts
-Engine type: 5.7L HEMI (Daytona)
-Current odometer reading 2100
-oil original
-what octane fuel do you use? 89
-rough percentage of city/high miles 50/50 maybe
-driving styles not granny, some moderate, some agressive.
-and lastly your miles per gallon 19-20 avg.

Murunga

1 - 19 of 19 Posts