Charger Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you guys thoughts where? Me i like the way the new z06 looks. I know some of you guys dont. But from the numbers and everything it doesnt look like the viper will stand a chance with the power that its putting down now. Is there any chance they can super charge turbo etc it? I just dont see it moving off dealer lots once this z06 hits the streets. Kinda hope SRT has something up there sleeve for there v-10.

What you guys think.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Exactly what do you mean the Viper won't stand a chance? The ZO6 was stated to be approaching ZR1 times during release. So around the track they may be still pretty close. Just my .02.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
The new Z06 is a little racer-boy ugly to me

Of course it allegedly is FASTER around the Ring than the ZR1 so it should beat the regular Viper with ease and approach the Viper ACR (sp) edition for a lot less money.

But we will see when they line up

I would strongly prefer the Viper ditch the V10 for a twin turbo hemi but I also wish world poverty would end

·
Registered
397 Posts
The new Z06 is a little racer-boy ugly to me

Of course it allegedly is FASTER around the Ring than the ZR1 so it should beat the regular Viper with ease and approach the Viper ACR (sp) edition for a lot less money.

But we will see when they line up

I would strongly prefer the Viper ditch the V10 for a twin turbo hemi but I also wish world poverty would end
But the gen5 Viper puts down similar numbers as an gen4 acr so wouldn't they actually be still on par with each other.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
591 Posts
The Viper T/A and Z06 will be very close. The T/A currently holds the record at Laguna Seca so keep an eye out for the Z06 to try and snag that away.

AS far as reviews go, you already know the failed journalists will be choosing the Z - but keep an eye on the lap times.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
The Z06 will probably pretty close to the T/A but it is $20,000 cheaper, has more torque, and is a pulley change away from even more power

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
12 cyl Viper.... C'mooooooon

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Look at my sig pic & see which one I prefer...

·
Registered
909 Posts
SRT has a little bit of unfinished engineering to work on with the current generation Viper. Hopefully this will be addressed during the 2015/16 refresh. The problem is not the power, nor is it the engine. The 8.4L V10 is an absolutely fantastic engine with monstrous amounts of torque all throughout the powerband. There is nothing quite like a naturally aspirated engine putting out numbers as big as that 8.4L does. The problem with the Viper is suspension tuning. GM has this brilliant magnetic suspension that can make the corvette ride like luxury car, or it can ride like a rock, and everything in between. This suspension also adjusts thousands of times a second to be so accurate and on point. The magnetic suspension is so great that Ferrari licenses it from GM to use in their cars.

The key thing with that suspension is that it allows you to build one model of a car, and it will perform great in all driving styles. The Viper has multiple variations, and they're all intended to be used in different ways. The T/A is basically a street legal track car. It's amazing if you're driving it on a smooth road course, but when you drive it on the street, it's going to ride like a race car. Not exactly what someone paying $120,000 for a car is going to want. Then there's the base SRT Viper and the GTS which are more track friendly street cars. They don't ride nearly as harsh as the T/A does, however they tend to give off this terrifying feeling that you are going to lose control of the car, even though it is very well planted. They're both still incredible on the track, but not as good as the Corvette or the Viper T/A. There are not multiple variations of the corvette ZR1 depending on where you plan to drive it. The ZR1 will adjust for the conditions of the street right after pulling off the track, and it will be a smooth ride home. In a Viper T/A, you may rattle a few teeth out on your way home.

SRT needs to figure out a suspension system that can compete with GM's. Until they can do that, magazines are going to continue to praise the Corvette. This is the largest issue with the Viper. There are other minor issues in build quality as well, but we won't get into that just yet.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SRT has a little bit of unfinished engineering to work on with the current generation Viper. Hopefully this will be addressed during the 2015/16 refresh. The problem is not the power, nor is it the engine. The 8.4L V10 is an absolutely fantastic engine with monstrous amounts of torque all throughout the powerband. There is nothing quite like a naturally aspirated engine putting out numbers as big as that 8.4L does. The problem with the Viper is suspension tuning. GM has this brilliant magnetic suspension that can make the corvette ride like luxury car, or it can ride like a rock, and everything in between. This suspension also adjusts thousands of times a second to be so accurate and on point. The magnetic suspension is so great that Ferrari licenses it from GM to use in their cars.

The key thing with that suspension is that it allows you to build one model of a car, and it will perform great in all driving styles. The Viper has multiple variations, and they're all intended to be used in different ways. The T/A is basically a street legal track car. It's amazing if you're driving it on a smooth road course, but when you drive it on the street, it's going to ride like a race car. Not exactly what someone paying $120,000 for a car is going to want. Then there's the base SRT Viper and the GTS which are more track friendly street cars. They don't ride nearly as harsh as the T/A does, however they tend to give off this terrifying feeling that you are going to lose control of the car, even though it is very well planted. They're both still incredible on the track, but not as good as the Corvette or the Viper T/A. There are not multiple variations of the corvette ZR1 depending on where you plan to drive it. The ZR1 will adjust for the conditions of the street right after pulling off the track, and it will be a smooth ride home. In a Viper T/A, you may rattle a few teeth out on your way home.

SRT needs to figure out a suspension system that can compete with GM's. Until they can do that, magazines are going to continue to praise the Corvette. This is the largest issue with the Viper. There are other minor issues in build quality as well, but we won't get into that just yet.
Maybe adding more then the two-mode suspension system for street or track could help. Maybe something in the middle. Its ether hard or to soft. Its an ideal.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Maybe adding more then the two-mode suspension system for street or track could help. Maybe something in the middle. Its ether hard or to soft. Its an ideal.
What they need to do is take the Viper T/A, and offer more adjustment ability in the suspension tuning. That way you can choose how you want the car to ride in any given situation. The T/A's suspension is very finely tuned as it currently sits. The Viper GTS in track mode is apparently all over the place and over responsive, and when it's in street mode it just can't keep up with the demands of the track. The T/A does not have this issue, however it's not very street friendly. So if they could take the T/A and modify the suspension in a way that it'll be more friendly on the street, and still be the AMAZING track car that it is, then it'd win some points with the magazines. Then maybe Chrysler can adjust some of the other issues with the car in terms of build quality.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
I have never been a fan of the V10 motor. 5 an 10 cylinder engines by nature are odd firing designs. However, I agree that a big displacement, naturally aspirated motor gives the best pedal feel by far.

Unfortunately, given the realities of emissions and MPG, a twin turbo V8 can make as much or more power than the current V10 while giving better MPG and ease of adding power.

I also agree about the suspension - you know when Ferrari is coming to GM and licensing technology that is saying something. It really burns me that Roger Smith and company ruined what could have been a great car company. GM had some of the best engineers in the world but the bean counters always restrained them. Remember the Grand National? MR shocks? GM is capable of great things but usually goes towards mediocrity instead.

Chrysler, OTOH, has been murdered by ownership for 2 decades now. Benz came in and robbed all the cash out and left. Now Fiat is coming in and making it European.

As for the Viper, the novelty of the "modern" Cobra has worn off. With the ever improving Corvette and GTR, it just is not competitive unless the buyer really just wants that big block engine. There is no reason why the Viper costs this much with this much low-tech engineering. It is like Chrysler just priced it up where others were without offering what they offer - refinement.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have never been a fan of the V10 motor. 5 an 10 cylinder engines by nature are odd firing designs. However, I agree that a big displacement, naturally aspirated motor gives the best pedal feel by far.

Unfortunately, given the realities of emissions and MPG, a twin turbo V8 can make as much or more power than the current V10 while giving better MPG and ease of adding power.

I also agree about the suspension - you know when Ferrari is coming to GM and licensing technology that is saying something. It really burns me that Roger Smith and company ruined what could have been a great car company. GM had some of the best engineers in the world but the bean counters always restrained them. Remember the Grand National? MR shocks? GM is capable of great things but usually goes towards mediocrity instead.

Chrysler, OTOH, has been murdered by ownership for 2 decades now. Benz came in and robbed all the cash out and left. Now Fiat is coming in and making it European.

As for the Viper, the novelty of the "modern" Cobra has worn off. With the ever improving Corvette and GTR, it just is not competitive unless the buyer really just wants that big block engine. There is no reason why the Viper costs this much with this much low-tech engineering. It is like Chrysler just priced it up where others were without offering what they offer - refinement.
Even if they have an "odd firing design", the V10 is what makes keeps the Viper true to it's original formula. The odd firing design is not compromising the performance of the vehicle, nor is it giving off any unwanted NVH. As for emissions and mileage, you would maybe get 1 or 2 better MPG with a turbocharged V8 over the V10. Wouldn't be worth the time and research for Chrysler since this engine would only be used in this which they don't sell many of. The Viper's engine is not a problem at all. What they need to focus on from here on out is suspension tuning, and fixing other stupid issues like the in-cabin heat from the exhaust, paint chipping away in the door jambs from getting too hot, and other stupid little things. Bringing the price down would make it more appealing as well. Nobody wants to pay $130,000+ for a GTS.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
The engine could also be used in the top Charger/300/Challenger performance models.

A V10 will always be a step down from a proper V8 or V12 in my book

The suspension tuning, to match the Corvette, is just the type of thing that Chrysler continually blows. Compare the suspension tuning on the Charger vs the Chevy SS/Pontiac G8 GXP/Caddy CTS V and V Sport.

Chrysler needs to step up its game in the suspension department

big time

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
The engine could be shared like the ZR1, CTS-V, and Camaro ZL1 all shared the blown 6.2 engine just tuned to meet each car

·
Registered
909 Posts
The engine could be shared like the ZR1, CTS-V, and Camaro ZL1 all shared the blown 6.2 engine just tuned to meet each car
The Viper, just like the corvette, is in a different class of car. They are American super cars, opposed to the "pony cars" like the Camaro and Challenger. In my opinion, they deserve something that sets them apart from the other cars. I think the V10 should be left alone. Power is currently not the issue as we need to focus on suspension tuning.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
It is an issue IF by using an engine that is not shared with other platforms it drives the price of the Viper up to where it is non-competitive.

Right now, with the intro of the new Z06, the Viper is non-competitive.

·
Registered
909 Posts
It is an issue IF by using an engine that is not shared with other platforms it drives the price of the Viper up to where it is non-competitive.

Right now, with the intro of the new Z06, the Viper is non-competitive.
The Viper and the Z06 are in a relatively close price range. The last Z06 started in the mid to upper $90k range (probably going go go up with this new model). The Viper starts at $102k. Most people buying cars in that price range are not going to care about a $5,000 difference in the cost of the car. The Viper is a few steps behind, but not far.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts