Charger Forums banner

What’s your opinion of the Billet “Light Bright” shift insert mod?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Last month I was surfin' the Billet Technology site and saw they had some new custom shift inserts. It was no shocker when I read they were willing to customize these bezels. Later that night out driving around, I started thinking about how cool it would be to get my nickname cut into one of these. That's when I noticed the gear indicators were lit up and thought, this would look totally bitchen if I could have KNARLEY glowing away instead of the lame ass PNRD that everyone else has? When I got back home I placed my order on line, knocked out an AutoCAD file, and Emailed Heidi asking if the guys in the shop could make it happen.

Well, they did and from what I was told, Heidi and Nick put my part on their light table, took one look and both said out loud “Light Bright”! They did their part, I did mine, and I am totally stoked with the results. If this poll gets a positive response, I'll post step by step instructions on how I did this.

Billet Technologies are the God of one-of-a-kind Charger gear and customer service!

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Thanks for posting the pic's :)

I really dug this a lot when it came out. The thing about it is that it does glow. The reflection from the lights underneath and the lighting is the car itself give it that look. This is really one where you had to see it, because a picture can't really show the effect.

Thats why I love my job so much, and the awesome people I work with love this stuff, because no matter, we see and have folks request something new and different every day. Its never boring, and you know we have you folks to thank for that.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I think its pretty cool!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
better yet, how much dinero did you pay?

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it looks alright. im not to fond of the "light bright" look. maybe if the letters were to all glow uniform it would look better IMHO.

great job coming up with new stuff though

Cool, but I would rather prefer a glow
My initial thought was to cut a narrow trough down each letter, but you can't cut A's and R's through cuz the centers would fall out. Unfortunately my pictures make the lighting effect look more like tiny points of light and don’t show off the wicked neon glow that takes place around the letters and shift plate. I totally appreciate your input guys, thanks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have to agree that I like the glow better than the individual bulb look.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If it glows

I agree it is definately a custom mod. Have you changed your panel lights to purple too. It would look really sweet if the dash/radio/shift mod all matched. I would have went with it saying Charger... but sweet.
Mark

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just had a thought while looking at that. Could you fit some type of tinted film between the LED's and the clear plastic. It would diffuse the light giving it more of a glow. You would probably just need some film and an exacto knife to make the cuts.
Just throwing that out there.
Mark

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I have to agree it looks good. I would love the mod if the light was spread out and you didn't see each bulb. If you could do that I'd be on this mod in a heartbeat.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
A Cheaper Way of Getting the GLOW

Thanks for the thumbs up on the mod guys. I agree with a bunch of you who said this mod would be much cooler it had a “solid” neon glow. The problem is that the shifter plate from Billet is 1/8” anodized aluminum, so you can't easily get letters with centers. After giving this some thought, I think it would be really easy to cutout a shifter plate like the one from Billet Tech in 1/32" clear plastic sheeting, cutout some black vinyl and mask the letter zone to say whatever, and glue it down onto of the factory plate. If you did this, the mod would totally have a solid glow plus it would way cheaper. Anyone want to give it a try? You would do the LED's the same way I show in the instructions post.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55901

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.