Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I do hope they kill off most of the gas guzzling SUV's and come up with some new fuel efficient ones.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Wow.

Looking at the vehicles they have "targeted" I can see why they're on the chopping block. Good for them if they do ti and it works.

79% drop in Magnum sales?? Yikes that's brutal.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I always thought the Dakota was a big seller. They're everywhere around where I live.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I always thought the Dakota was a big seller. They're everywhere around where I live.

New Dakota or Old dakota?

The old one was "right sized" back in a time when people liked smaller pickup trucks for light duty work because the full sized ones were often too much truck.

The new one got "uglified" and buyers realized they could get a full-sized truck for what they were paying for a Dakota... so it made no sense. You can pick up a "motor trend truck of the year Silvarado" for so cheap right now it's scary.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Interesting---thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
tell ya what that's a lot of disapearing cars! I noticed jeep has WAY too many models out, and the new libertys are HIDEOUS

·
Registered
723 Posts
Some of those vehicles just needed to go from the start

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Some of those vehicles just needed to go from the start

The tough part is figuring out what will be a hit. It's easy after the fact to say a car sucks and then axe it. But axing a car with no viable replacement means you lose sales and you basically admit to all the buyers who did get your car that they got a turd.

Bot Lutz said numerous times that if he were still at Chrysler that he would have axed the 300C, Magnum, and Charger. They were too progressive and too risky to build. Hence why they'd go with a Pontiac GTO or a Grand Prix GXP. They're "cheaper" in the sense that they took an existing formula and just tried to spoon feed it to Joe-Public. The GTO was a half-hearted attempt but the risk/reward was much lower. So the conservative idea backfires GTO and the Grand Prix is just a fast FWD sedan with no character which will soon be phased out.

I guess now being risky is in. Now Lutz is fine with the current GMC Arcadia/Saturn Outlook/Buick Enclave. The Auto Industry keeps saying how great these large GM SUVs are. Who knows what will happen in 12 months when the sales of the Enclave start to sag because the market for an expensive Buick is pretty small. Going with the risky idea can also result in immediate failures like the Isuzu Vehicross ... I think they sold 10 of them. Or maybe you'll have a second coming of the Pontiac "Axe"tec. This type of result gets people fired.

Imagine a scenario if the the 300C and the Magnum were both perceived as an old-person car or a hearse... and they could only sell 2,000 units a month. This whole RWD program would have cost billions. And you wouldn't have a shot in hell of a Challenger.

Also, when the Charger was announced as a 4-door sedan and almost everybody in the auto biz said it'd be a bad idea and that the Charger would lose loyal Dodge customers while alienating everyone else with a crazy design. auto-pundits gave the Magnum a greater chance of success than the charger. You can see how accurate those pundits are.

I think taking the risk on cars like the Nitro and Commander were just mis-timed. If the Commander had come out before the Escallade Fad wore thin they'd be talking about how great the commander is. I hope Nardelli doesn't stifle the notion that being "out there" is a bad idea. Of course when your company is on the ropes, being out there can put you out of a job.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
At least the Ram is holding strong. 12 mpg with the Hemi is still popular. 1/3 of all Dodge sales this year so far are the Ram. The dealer here is selling quad cab Hemi rams for the same price as an extended cab Dakota so I can see why Dakota sales are in the toilet. As for the Viper, as much as I like the car they only sold 1 nation wide last month and 324 all year. How much money is DCX hemmoraging trying to keep up with the Vette?:(
80,225 Chargers this year is nice though. Looks like we have a lot of recruiting for the forums to do...:grin:

·
Registered
276 Posts
At least the Ram is holding strong. 12 mpg with the Hemi is still popular. 1/3 of all Dodge sales this year so far are the Ram. The dealer here is selling quad cab Hemi rams for the same price as an extended cab Dakota so I can see why Dakota sales are in the toilet. As for the Viper, as much as I like the car they only sold 1 nation wide last month and 324 all year. How much money is DCX hemmoraging trying to keep up with the Vette?:(
80,225 Chargers this year is nice though. Looks like we have a lot of recruiting for the forums to do...:grin:
Mine is one of the Chargers sold this year. I think they will keep the Chargers but more than likely kill the v8 Hemis going for a Honda like 6 cylinder deactivation systems. I hope not but bet that they will....:knockout:

·
Banned
2,466 Posts

the older body of the dakota are and where known better no 1 likes the new 1

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
tell ya what that's a lot of disapearing cars! I noticed jeep has WAY too many models out, and the new libertys are HIDEOUS
agreed the jeep needs to stay with what works the wrangler and cherokee

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
"The Sebring is every bad Chrysler design cliché thrown into one car," says Peter De Lorenzo, editor of the Detroit car blog autoextremist.com. Toyota, under Press, has owned the family-car market with the Camry. So analysts expect him to kill the Sebring and order up a new sedan that is a worthy Camry competitor.
For real

The Sebring is just about the ugliest car on the market and its peformance is also poor.

·
Registered
83 Posts
agreed the jeep needs to stay with what works the wrangler and cherokee
I agree... the compass, and the patriot... I don't think I've seen a single one of those on the roads around here... even the new liberties are a rare sight. They won't ever axe the wrangler, of course.... the end of the wrangler would be the end of Jeep.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Mine is one of the Chargers sold this year. I think they will keep the Chargers but more than likely kill the v8 Hemis going for a Honda like 6 cylinder deactivation systems. I hope not but bet that they will....:knockout:
Don't be silly

They will never take the V8 out of the Charger. It kind of defeats the whole point of the car.

The problem with Chrysler is not the 300/Charger. The problem is the bread and butter sedan, the Sebring, looks like it was designed by the guy who did the Pontiac Aztek - UGLY!

The next problem is the Neon replacement went in the wrong direction: heavier and bigger.

·
Super Moderator
11,632 Posts
I couldn't imaging how many more Magnums they wouldn't have sold if the Charger came out first. :smoke:
I couldn't agree more. I always liked the Magnum, and when we went to the dealership we were contemplating either a Charger or a Magnum. But after taking the Charger for a drive, we went to take out the Magnum, and before I even started the car I just said "Nah, forget it. We're getting the Charger." Miss Foxxxy agreed, and the rest is history.

That being said, whoever wrote that article knows NOTHING about vehicles. He said the Nitro is similar in size to a Caliber. Huh??? I don't think so. Not even close. :knockout:

-=FLEX=-

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
What is lucky for us, is that the Charger is becoming a very popular fleet car....more and more police are getting them.......so it helps with keeping production numbers up....which look good to the bottom line!

They are not going to mess with it much.....to much to lose if they do.......Chevy made that mistake killing the Caprice, duh! All that fleet power gone........The Charger is giving the Crown Vic a run...I mean why do you think Ford still makes that car.....because the fleet sales are king! Same concept here for the Charger.

- Mark

1 - 20 of 34 Posts