Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The other day at the store I noticed the car had 26PSI in them. Tires just looked flat.

That is insane for a tire to be able to withstand that much. My Ram with 33's dont hold but 61 PSi. So I put 48PSI in the charger to be safe and the ride was so much better and response improved dramatically. WITH this said, CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE..Might even save you gas ya know. :clap:

Oh, and the tires are Continentals p225/60/R18
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,199 Posts
Butter, ignore the sidewall max pressure rating, what you want to use is what they put on the door placard inside your drivers door. Which I think is 32, maybe 35.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,117 Posts
side door panels says 30psi.....putting them that high can not end up good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
tire sidewall - max air pressure tire is designed to withstand.

car door (or elsewhere) - tire pressure vehicle is designed to run on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,733 Posts
I drew a chalk line on the width of the tire and wnet around the block. The line of chalk wore evenly, so the tire pressure was good.
Now THATS high-tech! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,117 Posts
i understand that they change psi in nascar to affect the handling of a car on the track, how much can you have an impact on our cars by making drastic psi changes? and then what would be the consequences of running that high of a psi? it seems like a flat waiting to happen...i know when i was a dumb 16year old i blew a tire up by overfilling (long story and my dad won't let me forget it!!!) the tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,783 Posts
AZCHARGER said:
Now THATS high-tech! :lol:

I got 3 friends that work in a tire shop. All day they do tires, alignments and more tires. For the last few years thats how they told me to check for good inflation, making sure the tread is square across the whole width. I usually check them like that every fall and spring. I have for about 4 years and my tires have lasted me longer than the "tread life" rating on the tires....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,199 Posts
Road racers use a similar method to check how far up the side wall they are riding while cornering. Chalk on the side wall that gets worn away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Recently checked my tire pressure - it was 25 psi. I filled to 30 psi and gas mileage has improved by almost 3 mpg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info! I believe that what the tire says has to be withstandable or there would be one big law suit that they would face. Same with your gas gauge, why run 1/2 a tank if the withstands the whole tank. Ok, Im hard headed. 48 Psi makes for a great ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,732 Posts
Butter06 said:
Thanks for the info! I believe that what the tire says has to be withstandable or there would be one big law suit that they would face. Same with your gas gauge, why run 1/2 a tank if the withstands the whole tank. Ok, Im hard headed. 48 Psi makes for a great ride.
if you are comparing filling your tires with air to filling your tank with gas.... you are now wearing a sign that tells me not to ask you any technical questions :whistle:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,199 Posts
Butter06 said:
Thanks for the info! I believe that what the tire says has to be withstandable or there would be one big law suit that they would face. Same with your gas gauge, why run 1/2 a tank if the withstands the whole tank. Ok, Im hard headed. 48 Psi makes for a great ride.
Butter, yes, it's "withstandable", but just becuase the tire can take it does not mean it should. Your cars engine can safely operate at redline, it was never intended to do so %100 percent of the time, under every concieveable condition.

All things have a range of operation. Along with allowed safety margins. Slings and lifing equipment we use for hoisting weapons get tested on a schedule, and get tested to %150 of rated weight. With torque wrenches, you are not supposed to use the top and bottom %10 of the range.

My point is that you should not operate a thing at it's max capacity all the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,259 Posts
GLHS837 said:
Butter, yes, it's "withstandable", but just becuase the tire can take it does not mean it should. Your cars engine can safely operate at redline, it was never intended to do so %100 percent of the time, under every concieveable condition.

All things have a range of operation. Along with allowed safety margins. Slings and lifing equipment we use for hoisting weapons get tested on a schedule, and get tested to %150 of rated weight. With torque wrenches, you are not supposed to use the top and bottom %10 of the range.

My point is that you should not operate a thing at it's max capacity all the time.
+1

Exactly

Dodge put the rating on the door based on the vehicle weight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,904 Posts
Just a quick clarification, the R/T has Continentals, the R/T with Performance Group, and the Daytona's have Michelins. I don't know if they are cited to have different inflation pressures, but any discussion should indicate which tires you have.

I don't know about SE's and SRT's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DAYTONA_R/T said:
if you are comparing filling your tires with air to filling your tank with gas.... you are now wearing a sign that tells me not to ask you any technical questions :whistle:


LOL "Here's your sign." :pray: :yawn: :silenced:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Just a quick clarification, the R/T has Continentals, the R/T with Performance Group, and the Daytona's have Michelins. I don't know if they are cited to have different inflation pressures, but any discussion should indicate which tires you have.
My R/T R&T did not come with michelins for some reason. :sad:
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top