Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing some 6750 RPM pulls in 3rd gear on the way home last week, I determined that even W/the 3.06 SRT axle ratio, I was only pulling about 5800 RPM going through the traps.

Since the "Mango Express" puts over 380 HP to the ground from 5200 to 6750 RPM, I knew I was leaving a lot of HP on the table.

Pulling to 6750 RPM in 3rd gear resulted in a top speed @ redline of about 130 MPH. After some quick calculations in my head, I came to the conclusion that a 10% increase in FDR would have the engine happily singing near the peak of the power band in the traps.

That would put the ideal axle ratio @ 3.37:1. Since as of yet we do not have after market gears available, the only way to increase the effective FDR by 10% was to decrease the tire size by 10%.

Luckily, the Mickey Thompson 275/40R 17 drag radial @ 25.7" is almost exactly 10% smaller than than the 28 1/2" BFG KDWSs I was running on the car for street tires.

Fast forward to Friday November 16th.

I swung through Long Island on the way to E'town to pick up a pair of the few remaining Mickey Thompson 275/40R 17 drag radials left for sale on the East coast.

brklynmag had answered my pleas in another post & turned me onto S&K Speed on Long Island.

I called them on Thursday & they had 8 sets of the desired "meats" in stock in their East store. They sent 2 over to the West side store so I could pick some up on Friday. After a last minute mount & balance @ a Sears Auto Center that I was refered to by Crazy Horse Racing in South Amboy, I headed for the track.

What a disaster!

It was cold & damp @ the track. My 1st pass resulted in a 20' burn out followed by another 10' of spinning when I hit 2nd gear.

The 60' was in the 2.2 second rang eW/an ET in the 13.1s @109 mph.:blam:

I was able to hook a little better on the 3rd pass, but the nose started drifting down in the top of 1st gear leadng me to think that the engine was losing power.

Once I hit 2nd, the car again "hooked" & brought the nose back up & pressed me into the seat.

The last 2 runs were in the 12.7-12.8 range W/the still dismall 109ish trap speeds.

Saturday morning dawned partly cloudy & crisp.

On the advice of a Camaro owner/drive running exactly the smae DRS, I warmed up the drag radials thoroughly staging. I came out W/a 2000 RPM stall while lined up against sldeway.

The car hooked & I could see a 1.79 60' on the board as I shot by.

111.80 MPH
1.793 60'
:pepper:I was tickled, only .038 from the record!

My second pass, I became a little complacent & let the car get a bit too warm.

The car hooked, but power was off slightly, DA was about -800'.

110.86 MPH
1.802 60'
<YAWN>

I let the car cool down almost completely waiting for the 1st elimination. In fact, I was a bit concerned that I would not get the temps up to optimal ranges but the timing was perfect & I staged @ about 156* coolant & 150* oil temperatures.

The DA was up to -500', but I knew that W/the sun beating down on the track would make a good hook up possible. I took my dial in down to HEMI~C~'s record @ the time of 12.22. If I broke out, I would be the new N/A stock displacement king.

I stalled up tight aganst the convertor & when the last yellow came on, I was off the brake & crushng the loud pedel W/my right foot.

The car hooked up really good. As I neared the end of the shut down lanes the PA came back on the radio. "UH OH it looks like Dan Fennelly broke out" >>>>>>>>:)pepper: Yahoo, a new record!)<<<<<<<<< With a 12.19 ET"!

I was exstatic! The 1st N/A stock displacement LX in the 12.1s!
:beerchug::pepper::banana::hammer::chickdance: :hammer: :banana::pepper::beerchug:

Here is the proof.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Those are great numbers my friend.
Well done!!!

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Excellent job

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Well done! Next stop: 11's!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Great to see your car in action this weekend Dan.

And no, I will not run you heads up on motor, so stop askin :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Congrats on the record...

But how did u manage to fool HAL and run the 3.06 SRT ratio? Does the Predator play a role here?

And jus wondering if u ever considered the 3.90 SXT ratio, provided it fits?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Powerwagon has a real special setup with a custom TCM to make the SRT rear work.

Im sure he will chime in on it when he reads your question.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Yeah I'd definitely like to know what you did to your Daytona to get it into the 12s..

Many of the SRTs here can BARELY catch 12s.. let alone LOW 12s!! :)

Let's see, we know you had Drag Radials, so I'm sure that helped you get some good traction.. And it sounds like you had the Predator, so I know that helped.. But what else?? Your sig says 408rwhp, and I know several lightly modified N/A SRTs on here are pushing 430rwhp, and they're still in the upper 12s, so what gives?!?! Did you gut that pig and change the gearing??? :)

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
from his sig, it sounds like he's got cam...

great time!! congrats! next time u go out get some1 to tape it!! i wanna see a daytona go that fast!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Congrats on the record...

But how did u manage to fool HAL and run the 3.06 SRT ratio? Does the Predator play a role here?

And jus wondering if u ever considered the 3.90 SXT ratio, provided it fits?
See the mod list below for the mod that made HAL obey the 3.06 axle ratio.

The ideal axle ratio for my high winding engine would be about a 3.33:1 to enable me to pull a better launching 28" drag radial. Something W/a stock cam or Sidwinder/Comp 260 cam would probably be better served W/a 3.23 axle ratio. You must remembver that the 3rd gear ratio is not direct (1:1) like a TH 350, TH 400 or 700R4 tarnny, it is 1.41:1.

The FDR in 3rd gear for a 3,23 axle ratio would be 4.55:1, the 3.33 would be 4.70:1. A 3.90 axle ratio would render the 3:1ish ratio 1st gear useless & you would have a worse FDR in 4th that the 3.98 stock 3rd gear FDR.

Very well done. WHat all have you done to it?

Yeah I'd definitely like to know what you did to your Daytona to get it into the 12s..

Many of the SRTs here can BARELY catch 12s.. let alone LOW 12s!! :)

Let's see, we know you had Drag Radials, so I'm sure that helped you get some good traction.. And it sounds like you had the Predator, so I know that helped.. But what else?? Your sig says 408rwhp, and I know several lightly modified N/A SRTs on here are pushing 430rwhp, and they're still in the upper 12s, so what gives?!?! Did you gut that pig and change the gearing??? :)
Dyno #s from one dyno to the other can not be compared reliably.

My 408 RWHP/399# RWTQ is SAE corrected HP. The STD RWHP was 421 RWHP W/411# RWTQ.

Using ET & trap speed coupled W/the 4150# race weight W/driver, various HP calculators have around 450 RWHP & 570 crank HP.

Dyno @s are more of a tuning tool that a way to compare HP exactly.

from his sig, it sounds like he's got cam...

great time!! congrats! next time u go out get some1 to tape it!! i wanna see a daytona go that fast!
It takes more than "cam" to run those kinds of ETs from a 4150# car.

No single component will do it. It takes everthing working as a package.

The heads, cam, convertor stall & axle ratio must work in the same RPM range to optimize performance.

Headers, a free flowing cat back & an effecient CAI will provide more gains in a higly modified engine that they do on a stock of near stock engine.

Here is the mod list in rough cronological order. Some mods that were later upgraded during the process have been omitted.

• Milodon 160* TSTAT for track use
  • Modified Jim Turner fan mod W/ESP hack
  • Mopar LT headers/cats
  • Mopar performance heads
  • 6.1 intake manifold port matched to the Mopar Performance heads W/phenolic adaptors
  • Stock 2 3/4: SRT cat back W/Blastin' Bob's resonated tips
  • AFE Stage II CAI
  • 2800 RPM stall Pro Torque convertor
  • Crane 216 cam
  • 4.50" X 17" 26" M&H "Frontrunners" mounted on 17" stock V6 spare wheels W/1.3" adaptors to clear the front brake rotors. (50# weight savings on the front of the car & less rolling resistance)
  • 3.06 SRT differential, half shafts & rear driveshaft portion
  • Fast56K custom TCM to make HAL obey W/the 3.06 axle ratio
  • CMR Predator tune by Pro Motion tuning
  • Centerline Billit Series "Hammer" 17" X 9 1/2" forged aluminum wheels
  • 25.7" Mickey Thompson Drag radials to bring the RPM in the traps to 6500 & improve the out of the hole performance

Great to see your car in action this weekend Dan.

And no, I will not run you heads up on motor, so stop askin :)
Scardy cat:lol:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Thanx for the explanation, and hope to see u in the 11s... Good luck bro...

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
If I wanted to start improving ET & trap, what mods have the biggest impact?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
If I wanted to start improving ET & trap, what mods have the biggest impact?

Gearing/drag radials, heads/headers/cat-back, 2800 stall convertor, Predator & cam.

Not neccessarily in that order improvement, but pretty much so from my experience.

A lower temperature TSTAT & fan mod is the best bang for the buck & should be the 1st mod, followed by the tuner.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Congrats! Nice run. :clap: Our time slips are almost identical.
Yes & no.

If you look closely, although the ET is close, my car is stronger on the bottom end, (60' & 1/8 mile) while your's come on stonger @ the end.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts