Charger Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
You don't ?

I can't recall anytime in my life where I've heard of someone wrecking a Hellcat or other high performance car. Sure, it happens, but at a much small rate that idiots totalling Civic Si's and other tuner cars. The vast majority of crashes involving any kind of performance, or "sporty" car is by teenagers or young adults.

A Hellcat can be driven like a Camry. It's up to the operator to unleash that power. I don't think they're should be any special requirement or training to drive one. Every vehicle can be dangerous.

·
Premium Member
4,016 Posts
When you take ownership of a car that has 707 HP or more, you should new or used should have to go. I think it would be easy to pass a law like that. And enforce it. But I don't always live in the real world. I try to see things as they should be not as they are.
"For every problem there is a solution that is simple, neat—and wrong."

The moment you come by an idea that doesn't exist yet and it seems easy, you should get suspicious. Sit back and try to find the flaws or difficulties.

In this case, first of all, laws tend to get passed either because someone has bought them (lobbying) or because there are overwhelming statistics behind them. You've picked 707 hp as the make/break point for your proposed law. How? Why not 706? What is it about that number that law-makers can see in a chart of accident and incident reports that makes it a clear, sensible inflection point for enacting a new law? How does this law help in a case where a car is built that is just under the 707 hp point but weighs several hundred pounds less and is therefore much faster? What happens with existing owners? What happens when an owner allows any other licensed driver to drive the car... which is currently 100% legal? What happens if a car is sold just under the inflection point and later modified to be just over the inflection point? How do such cars get detected and tracked? How - other than "easily" - does this get enforced? Does a police officer doing a roadside stop need to see additional paperwork from the driver to confirm that specific person has attended the driver-training? What exemptions exist for mechanics moving/testing such a car? Tow-truck drivers? What are appropriate penalties for violation of the rules? What do you do if manufacturers start under-rating power figures on a car (totally legal, by the way)? What institute do you put in place to test random samples of new cars to ensure that isn't happening? Who pays for all of this?

It's fine to apply a "this is how it should be" mind-set. But if you want to completely disregard the way things are you might as well just say "it should be impossible for anything bad to happen to anyone, ever. Easy!" <Grin>

·
Registered
2014 R/T Phantom Black
513 Posts
Correct me if I wrong, but the power and the torque make the cars faster reach the high speed and ability to maintain the high speed and ability to go faster uphill etc.

Would it harm, if all the cars be limited to 80 mph / 130 kmh? Looks like in opposite, would benefit the safety.
Pretty much simple.
You can still buy the top powered car, cause you like it, or even upgrade, to show even more power / torque on dyno.

Its like to wear expensive, branded and precise wrist-watch, which capable for more than just being an accessory showing the status / style of owner.

·
Premium Member
4,016 Posts
I wouldn't have a real problem with my 'Cat being limited to 130kph. It's acceleration that excites me, not velocity.

I've actually got the dashboard set to ping/alert at 120kph and my HUD speedometer set to pink/alert/flash at 130kph. It's way too easy to get into impound-my-car territory, and any time I start edging there at the end of an on-ramp run, I've got lots of notice to chill out.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Really? More government control? No thanks.

·
Registered
2014 R/T Phantom Black
513 Posts
I really not a fan of the controls, but this one will work, unlike the signs on the roads.
Don't we speak about irresponsible / not experienced drivers who have the access to the power of these great cars?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I really not a fan of the controls, but this one will work, unlike the signs on the roads.
Don't we speak about irresponsible / not experienced drivers who have the access to the power of these great cars?
Where does it end then?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Correct me if I wrong, but the power and the torque make the cars faster reach the high speed and ability to maintain the high speed and ability to go faster uphill etc.

Would it harm, if all the cars be limited to 80 mph / 130 kmh? Looks like in opposite, would benefit the safety.
Pretty much simple.
You can still buy the top powered car, cause you like it, or even upgrade, to show even more power / torque on dyno.

Its like to wear expensive, branded and precise wrist-watch, which capable for more than just being an accessory showing the status / style of owner.
I guess we can just close all racetracks then and performance shops then, plus there would be a lot less appeal to high performance cars, so the SXT would probably become the most desireable Charger. That is a $13K difference in sales tax alone missing from the government for every Hellcat sold.
That would be a noticeable hit to an already declining economy.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I don't think limiting the car in any way is a reasonable response. I think learning how to handle this amount of power is a very reasonable request. If you decide to purchase such power than said person needs to take responsibility for such power.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
What driving school did you attend for high output cars if you dont mind me asking.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
You see a heck of a lot more car crashes from people wrecking from being idiots than you do anything related to the vehicles power.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
You see a heck of a lot more car crashes from people wrecking from being idiots than you do anything related to the vehicles power.
Totally agree! And there is no driving class for idiots either. That's what shoots holes in the thought process that people with high power vehicles need to complete some Team Oreilly, or Skip Barber driving school to be able to drive a Hellcat, etc.

Presumed immaturity is the reason insurance companies assign higher premiums to youngsters and high output cars, but do offer owners the choice to demonstrate granny driving skills using an OBD port nanny device for lower rates.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Charger Scat Pack RWD
144 Posts
How about you offer big insurance savings to owners that attend high performance driver education classes. Some great days at HPDE "schools'" for road racing. Fun to learn what your car will do when it's in over or understeer, especially on a wet skid pad and such. I know that 'training" like this was always a great day and has undoubtedly saved my bacon a few times in the snow and ice, in other cars, and on wet and dry pavement in other higher performance cars I've owned.

As an aside, this sort of program would have helped a bunch of drivers that went from front wheel drive pontiacs to the GTO, 350 and 400 hp versions back in the day. Towed quite a few back to the dealership within days, sometimes hours of sale after owners got into the loud pedal and had no idea what was going to happen now that the power went to the rear wheels. I think the record was about 4 miles and 20 minutes from leaving the dealership to the phone call for a tow truck. Car was high-sided on the median after owner punched it from a red light and ran out of talent; jammed the engine block all the way back into the firewall, car was totalled IIRC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello all,
as most of your already know , for car power we live in some exciting times. Never in history has cars for the street made so much power. Lets be real a Toyota Camry makes 300 HP in a natural v6 engine. You could put together a list of power of normal everyday cars and then compare them to history and get many chuckles out of it.
Nox Vidmate VLC
Now lets look at the Hellcat and above. They start making power at 707 HP and 650 LBS of Torque. Name a car in history that came with that much power or more? Dodge has released a 797 , 804 and 840 monster. The Demon you can argue should never see the street but it comes with turn signals, head lights , rear lights etc. So it is built for todays roads.

So I ask you, do you think that a hellcat should be driven on the highways? All these cars today making such out of control HP and Torque is straight up nuts. As much as I love these cars and the HP offered from a dealership , I also question IF we should be driving such powerful cars on the roads?
Now 400 hp doesn't even get you in the conversation. But I will second Flyershockey with his gun analogy, it's what's behind the wheel/trigger that matters, the tool is just a tool.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Now 400 hp doesn't even get you in the conversation. But I will second Flyershockey with his gun analogy, it's what's behind the wheel/trigger that matters, the tool is just a tool.
The problem is, there's too many Tools with tools. The more "self driving" crap they add to vehicles, the more Tools there will be on the road.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts