Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
as most of your already know , for car power we live in some exciting times. Never in history has cars for the street made so much power. Lets be real a Toyota Camry makes 300 HP in a natural v6 engine. You could put together a list of power of normal everyday cars and then compare them to history and get many chuckles out of it.

Now lets look at the Hellcat and above. They start making power at 707 HP and 650 LBS of Torque. Name a car in history that came with that much power or more? Dodge has released a 797 , 804 and 840 monster. The Demon you can argue should never see the street but it comes with turn signals, head lights , rear lights etc. So it is built for todays roads.

So I ask you, do you think that a hellcat should be driven on the highways? All these cars today making such out of control HP and Torque is straight up nuts. As much as I love these cars and the HP offered from a dealership , I also question IF we should be driving such powerful cars on the roads?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
They can all be driven safely, so I don't see a problem. You can drive any car like an idiot. A 200hp Civic Si can be dangerous. As with guns, it's the operator not the item.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Enjoy it while you can. Ford has decreased power in the Mustang GT starting with the 2022 model. FCA will not equip the Durango with the 707.

Seems someone in Government is already making decisions what you won't be driving because of tightened emissions standards and higher mileage requirements. I don't look forward to what FCA will be offering in 2025. Or the price of gas.

• Wow
Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Charger Scat Pack RWD
143 Posts
I remember Lee Iacocca (I think) when talking about the 400 hp Viper and saying, "you'll never see cars with this much hp from dealerships ever again," or something close to that. Now 400 hp doesn't even get you in the conversation. But I will second Flyershockey with his gun analogy, it's what's behind the wheel/trigger that matters, the tool is just a tool.

·
Registered
6,244 Posts
I remember Lee Iacocca (I think) when talking about the 400 hp Viper and saying, "you'll never see cars with this much hp from dealerships ever again," or something close to that. Now 400 hp doesn't even get you in the conversation. But I will second Flyershockey with his gun analogy, it's what's behind the wheel/trigger that matters, the tool is just a tool.
Heh, it's been a wild ride since the K-car. :)

Agree that going after the tool rather than the criminal is a fool's errand.

Best,

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hello all,
as most of your already know , for car power we live in some exciting times. Never in history has cars for the street made so much power. Lets be real a Toyota Camry makes 300 HP in a natural v6 engine. You could put together a list of power of normal everyday cars and then compare them to history and get many chuckles out of it.

Now lets look at the Hellcat and above. They start making power at 707 HP and 650 LBS of Torque. Name a car in history that came with that much power or more? Dodge has released a 797 , 804 and 840 monster. The Demon you can argue should never see the street but it comes with turn signals, head lights , rear lights etc. So it is built for todays roads.

So I ask you, do you think that a hellcat should be driven on the highways? All these cars today making such out of control HP and Torque is straight up nuts. As much as I love these cars and the HP offered from a dealership , I also question IF we should be driving such powerful cars on the roads?
It's not the HP and Torque that is out of control. It's the person that does not know what he (she) is doing with it that is the problem. So the real question is, should someone who doesn't have a clue be allowed to own such a car?

·
Registered
467 Posts
The same argument can be made for the Scat Pack and even R/T. Is 370hp really necessary?
I remember when a 225hp Mustang was the bees knees and a 245hp Buick ruled the street.
Now an SXT Charger is just as fast as that 225hp Mustang, even though it weighs 1000lbs more.
Economy sporty cars are now substantially faster than those old Mustangs.

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
I was honestly very impressed with how tame and street-safe my Hellcat is after upgrading from my old R/T. You have to deliberately be trying to pour on power before it gets silly. The only Hellcat-induced "accidents" are abuse.

Personally, I've got a rule that I never remotely approach full throttle unless the car is facing dead straight forward, on dry pavement. No chance of getting sideways. On-ramps are awesome fun, but when driving in normal circumstances... drive normally.

Reactions: Karl_1052

·
Registered
6,244 Posts
It's not the HP and Torque that is out of control. It's the person that does not know what he (she) is doing with it that is the problem. So the real question is, should someone who doesn't have a clue be allowed to own such a car?
And who would you have deciding which people can or cannot have the car they prefer to buy? By extension, should we also outlaw idiots from having sex so that they don't pollute the gene pool? Think of the benefits to society! 1/2 :)

Better idea: punish criminals and leave law abiding folks alone

Best,

Reactions: HemiLonestar

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I see that all the time.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think it should be mandatory for anyone who purchased such a car to go to a week of driving school to learn how to drive it on the street if going to do so and or on the track if that is the purchase intention.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
@Mantis. Driving school seems like a sensible idea for a powerful car but i don't think many people who lose control of their cars were people who bought them with the intention to illegally street race, or roll down a track. And I don't know how it could sensibly be mandated or enforced given the used car market.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Mantis. Driving school seems like a sensible idea for a powerful car but i don't think many people who lose control of their cars were people who bought them with the intention to illegally street race, or roll down a track. And I don't know how it could sensibly be mandated or enforced given the used car market.
When you take ownership of a car that has 707 HP or more, you should new or used should have to go. I think it would be easy to pass a law like that. And enforce it. But I don't always live in the real world. I try to see things as they should be not as they are.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I think it should be mandatory for anyone who purchased such a car to go to a week of driving school to learn how to drive it on the street if going to do so and or on the track if that is the purchase intention.
And you think the same for someone who purchases a GLE63 AMG, or X5M, or S65?

It's too broad of a suggestion.

What about a Tesla Model S Performance? Or what about the turbo 4 cylinders that are running low-mid 12s on less than half that horsepower?

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
When you take ownership of a car that has 707 HP or more, you should new or used should have to go. I think it would be easy to pass a law like that. And enforce it. But I don't always live in the real world. I try to see things as they should be not as they are.

Laudable idea but a new class of drivers license and drivers education/training would be required and that isn't going to happen in your lifetime. Well, maybe where you live but not here in Texas.

I would just like existing reckless and exhibition speed laws enforced with stiff penalties and seize, not just impound a few 707 HP cars (or any car for those offenses) and the word will get around real quick.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Laudable idea but a new class of drivers license and drivers education/training would be required and that isn't going to happen in your lifetime. Well, maybe where you live but not here in Texas.

I would just like existing reckless and exhibition speed laws enforced with stiff penalties and seize, not just impound a few 707 HP cars (or any car for those offenses) and the word will get around real quick.
Most of the people I see driving like idiots aren't those cars anyway, they're VW GTI's, Audi A4's, WRXs, Focus STs.

Heck, other than FLEX, I don't think I've ever seen any Corvette ever go more than 5mph under the speed limit.

Then again I don't live in a super-rich area where you see teenagers driving Ferrari's like you do in LA or maybe South Florida. Usually people around my area driving high performance cars are wealthy adults in there 40s and up.

·
Registered
6,244 Posts
If I had a nickel for every WRX or small Bimmer driver that tried to play when I was driving the scat, I could retire. They leave me alone now. :)

Best,

Reactions: Mantis

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And you think the same for someone who purchases a GLE63 AMG, or X5M, or S65?

It's too broad of a suggestion.

What about a Tesla Model S Performance? Or what about the turbo 4 cylinders that are running low-mid 12s on less than half that horsepower?
You don't ?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts