Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We got an Egg McMuffin instead of a Sirloin Steak.

As a life long MOPAR enthusiast I am infuriated at Daimler for its abortion of the Charger legacy. All of the build up, all of the hype and all of the chest pounding for nothing more than a Ford Pinto body with a
Chevy S-10 grill.

Chrysler had the right car in the original Charger concept, a vehicle that generated widespread praise and anticipation. Its appealing aerodynamic lines and aggressive stance were overwhelming. The original Charger concept embraced the legacy of the Chargers of the sixties and seventies.

Instead, with the arrogance, deceit and perversions of Caligula's Rome, Daimler made the decision to pull a "Bait & Switch" routine and now we end up with this: a Pinto S-10.

Daimler, don't show me a Sirloin Steak and then bring me an Egg McMuffin.

I feel like I've been stabbed in the back by a company that I've tried to remain loyal to for decades. Well, now that loyalty is lost.

Daimler execs will now say, "But it goes 0-60 in less than 6.0 seconds."

My response to that is that any fool can put a Hemi in an Edsel. Of course, the Edsel is generally accepted as one of the ugliest vehicles to have ever darkened a driveway.

I believe that the Edsel has competition now in the New Millennium Edsel...the 2006 Dodge Charger.

I’m sure that Dodge will be able to hoodwink a few naïve youngsters who’ve recently received their learner’s permits, but as for me the new Ford Mustang, which keeps many of the design cues and DNA of the original, is aesthetically more appealing.

In conclusion, this may not be the fall of the Daimler Empire, but when you consider what could have been and then consider what is, it is a major stumble.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm dissapointed as well but I don't think the car should be compared to the Edsel. It's just not a charger. Magnum coupe has a much better ring to it and I might even consider buying one if it was called that. But call this a Charger and I want nothing to do with it.

The mustang? To each his own and good luck to you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think they are more concerned with sales than our opinion. We are few. Because the 300 is doing so well, the 4 door and the look it has was probobly a good business decision and I think it will pay off. So they lose a few Charger fans. I think they could care less.

Like everyone is saying. That should be a Magnum.

·
Registered
26 Posts
R/TMike said:
Like everyone is saying. That should be a Magnum.
Just my own opinion, but I think calling this "Charger" a Magnum sedan is not right either. A Magnum Sedan would be a 300C with a Magnum front clip on it. I've seen pictures of a 300C with a Magnum front clip and the Magnum dash/console.

Again, just my opinion, I'm not trying to stir the pot. The "Charger" should be called something entirely different, not "Charger" or "Magnum Sedan" but something entirely different.

Personally, I think this will sell, and quite well. As for us enthusiests, Daimler has made it's bed and now has to lie in it.

Later,
Jeff

·
Registered
291 Posts
mark, it was the best thing happening since the great aboration of the 80s.

I grown fond of Dieters and Dan for there efforts of making this company where it is at within the global community. As I talk to my friends within the doors of DCx, there are many cars/trucks/jeeps/sports models/new division that will be thrusted to the global dealerships before 2008.

I only pray that Dieters replacement will have the same will in making this corporation the forefront on performance, designs, and leading technology.

Yes! I would buy a Charger with four doors, six doors, or just the 2-doors (coming soon-sister car). For me, it is turnkey performance car off the showroom floor with a different look that is not normally found on others brands as the seemed to imitate each other.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Eh, the Edsel had a certain something. Enough to have a cult following, at least. This new Charger is just devestating in design. I wouldn't be surprised if Chrysler decides to screw us over again and have the SRT-8 version have a wing to make the SRT-4's look small with a white stripe around it and hail it as the true Daytona.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I think DCX is going in the right direction. They are the only ones trying 'new' approaches... look at the 300C, its a solid departure from what everyone else is doing.

Also, the SRT division takes balls. They are making vehicles that interest me... I cant say the same for any of the other manufacturers right now. Look at the SRT-8 300C -- thats competition for the CTS-V -- a car that is about $12k to $13k more then it!

I have to say that out of all the manufacturers right now, DCX is the one that has my interest because they keep on doing new, exciting things.

·
Registered
115 Posts
ekool said:
I think DCX is going in the right direction. They are the only ones trying 'new' approaches... look at the 300C, its a solid departure from what everyone else is doing.

Also, the SRT division takes balls. They are making vehicles that interest me... I cant say the same for any of the other manufacturers right now. Look at the SRT-8 300C -- thats competition for the CTS-V -- a car that is about $12k to $13k more then it!

I have to say that out of all the manufacturers right now, DCX is the one that has my interest because they keep on doing new, exciting things.
My only qualm with the SRT-8 is they won't somehow put in a six speed into it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think many our not understanding something. I have no problem with dieter, or his goals. I have no problem with the new vehicles he's coming out with. I think he's great for chrysler. He's straightened up alot of chryslers problems, and he's a great CEO. My problem is slapping a charger name on a 300m look alike. Its a freakin joke. If you wanted a intrepid replacement make it another name. Its ashame this car even has the charger name. Its a disgrace to the loyalists, and a disgrace to the the baby boomers that loved them, and wanted to own them one day. Thats me at 33yrs old, that was my dream car, and i been saving, and waiting. Chrysler, and there loyalist should be ashamed of thereselves for accepting this car. I preach to boycott this peice of shit, and then maybe chrysler will build something worthy of the charger name. I too call it the edsell. How dare them shit on the loyalists like this. Let me think, I stuck with there ass through the 80's, and 90's when they built nothing but junk, and did not build one performance vehicle affordable to anyone. Now i get repaid by this grocery getter charger. Thanks Dodge! I got 2 years left on my hemi ram. Ford here i come... Congrats Dodge. Thanks for your support also..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Remember in the late 80's when you couldn't drive 2 feet without seeing somebody who thought they were bad ass in their Mustang GT? I remember that and I laughed at them cause they all had the same car. How much are those cars worth now? Here we go again.

I'm not saying this "piece of poop Charger" is the answer. I think everybody jumping on Mustang are going to be disappointed when the other car makers out there (including Dodge) realize what a mistake dodge made with this car. The Mustang is a nice looking car. Don't get me wrong, Ford has the right idea when it comes to styling. But just imagine the retro styling that will come from the other car makers after the Mustang kicks the Chargers ass in the sales department. I prefer Chevy over Ford. What will the Camaro or TransAm look like? Or the new GTO? How about if the Barracuda or the Roadrunner make a return?

Looks will always out sell performance. I don't care if the car has 600HP off the showroom floor. If it looks like a trash truck, it’s a trash truck. Are you gonna drive it?

·
Registered
115 Posts
eazyg said:
Remember in the late 80's when you couldn't drive 2 feet without seeing somebody who thought they were bad ass in their Mustang GT? I remember that and I laughed at them cause they all had the same car. How much are those cars worth now? Here we go again.

I'm not saying this "piece of poop Charger" is the answer. I think everybody jumping on Mustang are going to be disappointed when the other car makers out there (including Dodge) realize what a mistake dodge made with this car. The Mustang is a nice looking car. Don't get me wrong, Ford has the right idea when it comes to styling. But just imagine the retro styling that will come from the other car makers after the Mustang kicks the Chargers ass in the sales department. I prefer Chevy over Ford. What will the Camaro or TransAm look like? Or the new GTO? How about if the Barracuda or the Roadrunner make a return?

Looks will always out sell performance. I don't care if the car has 600HP off the showroom floor. If it looks like a trash truck, it’s a trash truck. Are you gonna drive it?
I got an SRT-4 because of performance, and I most certainly don't think it's the most beautiful car to ever hit the streets. But for the most part, yeah, the looks do outsell the performance. Hence my always knowing that FSU is about to be back in session because Tallahassee is FLOODED with Mustangs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You know - as much as I think the new Charger probably should've been named something else, I'm glad they didn't go retro. The new Mustang is a good looking car, but I really am tired of the retro-styling craze.

I give credit to DCX for having the balls to do something completely new, with not a single ounce of throwback (it may not have been the best choice, but it was brave).

As for tumbling the "empire" - if the Crossfire and Pacifica didn't topple the company, than an aggressively styled sedan with a lot of power (regardless of name) that's going to be pretty darn affordable, isn't going to hurt them.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Both the Crossfire and the Pacifica had pickup sales.

Chrysler will not falter with Dieter at the helm.

Beside, I want something that is different like the SRT-4. I only see a handful vice the crappiest cars- (Southern Cali) Camry and the Civics. Both of which are anemic driven.

·
Registered
37 Posts
hemidakota said:

I'll go along with that. I may not be too happy with Creed and the purpose of this website, but I am confident in Dieter's moves so far. Crossfire and Pacifica are prime examples. Both sat on the lots when they came out. So instead of throwing big rebates at them (further perpetuating the image of domestic makes requiring rebates before anyone will buy), they lowered the price instead. Same net result, but large perception difference.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Stevasaurus said:
I'll go along with that. I may not be too happy with Creed and the purpose of this website, but I am confident in Dieter's moves so far. Crossfire and Pacifica are prime examples. Both sat on the lots when they came out. So instead of throwing big rebates at them (further perpetuating the image of domestic makes requiring rebates before anyone will buy), they lowered the price instead. Same net result, but large perception difference.
Exactly. And the problem with the Crossfire and the Pacifica wasn't really price, so much as lack of options. They were all pretty much "high end." So pepole who liked the styling had to fork out big cash, even if they didn't want all the options they loaded in. So, they did some price cutting, and finally offered a few variants.

That's one of the reason the 300 did so well - get one anywhere from (roughly) $25,00 - $40,00. Lots of options!

Regardless of my dislike of the name choice, I think the Charger is a decent looking car.

·
Registered
115 Posts
DubleDex said:
Exactly. And the problem with the Crossfire and the Pacifica wasn't really price, so much as lack of options. They were all pretty much "high end." So pepole who liked the styling had to fork out big cash, even if they didn't want all the options they loaded in. So, they did some price cutting, and finally offered a few variants.

That's one of the reason the 300 did so well - get one anywhere from (roughly) $25,00 - $40,00. Lots of options!

Regardless of my dislike of the name choice, I think the Charger is a decent looking car.
Better looking than the Pacifica.

·
Registered
115 Posts
hemidakota said:

Beside, I want something that is different like the SRT-4. I only see a handful vice the crappiest cars- (Southern Cali) Camry and the Civics. Both of which are anemic driven.
I do love the SRT-4 being different, but I'm starting to get nervous with it as I'm starting to see more and more of them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow!

I am surprised at the 'negative' responce to the charger. I understand the 'name' being put to a 4 door but that's about it.

Being the owner of an LX model (300C), I don't think DCX did as bad as most of you are saying.

As far as the 4-door design it was a smart move, as the car still has a 'muscle' feel. The rears flare out which make it seamless. It will also be more comfortable to carry a couple of extra folk and get in and out items you put in the back.

Ford did a nice job on the pony but compare the charger to the gto.
By the way there is no comparison the gto's design is horrible.

Love it or hate it at least DCX made a move. The other manufactures seem to be sleep at the wheel concerning their designs.

·
Registered
115 Posts
tekhen said:
Wow!

I am surprised at the 'negative' responce to the charger. I understand the 'name' being put to a 4 door but that's about it.

Being the owner of an LX model (300C), I don't think DCX did as bad as most of you are saying.

As far as the 4-door design it was a smart move, as the car still has a 'muscle' feel. The rears flare out which make it seamless. It will also be more comfortable to carry a couple of extra folk and get in and out items you put in the back.

Ford did a nice job on the pony but compare the charger to the gto.
By the way there is no comparison the gto's design is horrible.

Love it or hate it at least DCX made a move. The other manufactures seem to be sleep at the wheel concerning their designs.
But the 300 is supposed to look like the coolest brick short of a Rolls! :D

1 - 20 of 53 Posts