Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i want to put a new muffler on my daytona but i don't know what brand to put on. i want sound more that hp gains. i do not think i am alone in thinking that way. so i have a way to fix all our problems. if you have a new muffler post what it is and what it sounds like. also what you think of it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
while we are trying to cut to the bone on this subject, I think most everyone would agree that the late model Mustang GT (ugh, hurts to type that!) sets the bar for a super sweet exhaust note (from startup to WOT) , and I would say that most performance minded Charger owners would want, at the very least, a comparable exhaust sound. That being said, who knows what aftermarket system accomplishes that goal? If none, then I'll stay pat with the factory system and spend the 1K on other things. Don't throw rocks at me for the Mustang reference; its just the most common (with emphasis on common), noticeable exhaust I know.

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
cowboy said:
ok i want to put a new muffler on my daytona but i don't know what brand to put on. i want sound more that hp gains. i do not think i am alone in thinking that way. so i have a way to fix all our problems. if you have a new muffler post what it is and what it sounds like. also what you think of it.
Warning: I'm talking out of my butt here. I know nothing about exhausts.

From what I've read on this board, the Zoomers seem to have the best "sound" reputation.

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
bstowers said:
No pun intended, I'm sure.
Well, I did have my resonator removed. You should hear it now!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Cowboy

Do you want volume, a softer deep growl, a old school 'popping' sound, or other? I take it interior noise is not too important since you want sound over anything else.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the interior noise is not a big deal. right now i ( well my wife ) have a 96 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with duel flowmaster pipes, dumped just past the passage door. ( i set car alarms off 3 houses away.) i want that low rumble for this car thow. real low at idle but if i stomp on it i want to blow the windows out on what ever i just passad. any of you guys have ideas. hate to be so pickie but it's hard for me to drop $1000 on something i think should have come from dodges to start with. ( who ever heard of quite duel borla )

·
Registered
382 Posts
If you poke around this area, you'll probably find video/sound clips of just about every popular system that's available right now. Someone should collect the links all up in one post and then get it stickied. I'll do my part: Here are clips of GoDaddy's Borla 125s (I have the same thing):

http://bstowers.mesanetworks.net/video/borla125s.wmv
http://bstowers.mesanetworks.net/video/launch.wmv
http://bstowers.mesanetworks.net/video/passby1.wmv
http://bstowers.mesanetworks.net/video/passby2.wmv

The 125s are probably one of the louder systems out there, but probably not the loudest. The system has no resonators, so look at the Borla 112s or the Mopar cat-back (it's the same thing) if that's an issue for you. If you like tinkering around yourself, you can put the whole thing on in an afternoon if you know which side of the ratchet the socket goes on.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thx now i am in trouble with me wife. ( i just woke her up the comp room is beside our bed room.) i like that sound thx for the clips.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
cowboy said:
thx now i am in trouble with me wife. ( i just woke her up the comp room is beside our bed room.) i like that sound thx for the clips.

LOL, I know the feeling of the wife waking up stuff! :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
Okay, volume level it is. This may be the ticket. Loose the factory muffler, replace with an x-pipe to combine/equalize flow. Replace the resonators with Magnaflow's Magnapacks - the 18" version. Combine that with a set of their stainless tips.

First, the deep idle sound is a given (big V-8). Magnapacks are high-end glasspacks. They are stainless (good looks), do not have directional fins inside to impede exhaust flow, and have illegal volume level output at throttle.

This will give classy appearance, moderate/agressive volume at reserved throttle, and loud, but 'tuned' sound when you get into it. Take it easy around police, though.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
1RT that is an interesting route....is anyone on the forum running with a 'glasspack' setup...i have heard them on trucks, but never a car. a sound clip is need if anyone has one of the charger on this type of 'juice'!

good stuff cowboy - i have done the same thing man! when i was shopping around on the net listening to clips i hit one that was super loud...it was a borla setup on a corvette.....wife almost killed me....lmao

·
Registered
170 Posts
GoDaddy

Magnapacks are not really glasspacks. They are resonators by design. Sound wise, they tune the exhaust note better than glasspacks. But, a rose is a rose, whether it's a dink one at the grocery store for a dollar, or a $7 long stem huge bloomer.

Speaking of price, I think this Magnapack setup should be around $220 for parts (mufflers and tips), plus, the cost of the install. Not to mention, the occasional ticket you may get.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
i'll bet this would be an awesome/loud setup....we need a guinne pig? bueller? bueller?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I put the Blast'n Bob tailpipes on my car,they are loud. Cruising at 65 -70 the sound is not real objectionable inside the car, around town it's debatable. When the engine goes into MD it gets a lot quieter. When the engine returns to 8 cyl you can hear a pop on the change then the sound increases. When you step on it at highway speed it gets loud. At this point the jury is still out on weather I'm going to like it in the long run. The preformance increase is noticable along with at least 1 MPG better mileage on the way to work this morning.

When I was under the car I looked at the entire system. It apears that the Daytona system has an X pipe arrangement made into the center pipe. When 1 pipe is blocked off there is no pressure on the blocked pipe and the flow increases on the open pipe. There is no doubt there is a connection between the 2 sides.

Does anyone know if the OE big center muffler is open inside or if there is a seperation between the 2 sides ?

·
Registered
303 Posts
i aint messing with no exhaust this time... on my last car i got 2 modified exhaust tickets in the past 3 months. the cops around here must be cracking down on the ricer fart cannon syndrome. but that borla 125 sure does sound nice. keep up the nice work godaddy

·
Registered
755 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey cowboy,

I've heard both the Zoomers and Borla 125's. IMO the Zoomers sounded more "classic muscle car". That's not to say the Borlas didn't sound good. I put the Zoomers on my R/T w/ R/T and after it broke in the sound is nothing short of awesome. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just taking the resonators off has worked well for me. It gets even better sounding every thousand miles or so too. Also it only costs about $80 (At least around Nebraska). I also have a 2002 Mustang GT with Flowmaster 40 series mufflers (for sale by the way!) and the Charger isn't quite as loud but it's very comparable in sound. Maybe if you take off the resonators and put on some magnaflow or flowmaster muffler it'll be sounding awesome!!! You won't be blowing any windows out but it's a lot cheaper than $1000+.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts