Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The mutation and mutilation of the Dodge Charger.

In Daimler's Spin Zone..."The Detroit News"...Chrysler's design chief Trevor Creed is quoted as saying, "...If the Charger had lived, this is how I believe it would have evolved."

Well then, someone should slap Charles Darwin because the depiction that I saw of the new Charger was a vile and grotesque mutation, not an evolutionary improvement upon the appealing lines and aggressive stance that were the Charger's origin.

Instead of Mr. Creed bringing us "The Origin of Species," he has brought us "The Origin of Feces," because that is what his vision of the new Charger looks like.

For the evolutionary process there has to be at least some of the original DNA present at the end of each change. In the case of the new Charger there is absolutely none.

Instead, the common house fly has more in common with the American Bald Eagle than this new imposter vehicle has with the original Chargers. Furthermore, if this designer had been put in charge of the evolution of the dinosaurs, I would have voted for their extinction.

Daimler's design department may have whiz kids, super computers and 3-D modeling, but I believe that they may have gotten better results using an "Etch A Sketch," a monkey and a bottle of Wild Turkey." At the least it may have gotten them away from their apparent fixation with the Ford Maverick.

Now in Singapore a person can be caned for spray-painting graffiti on automobiles. Tell me, what is the penalty for using a "Bait & Switch" routine: First, showcasing the exciting '99 Charger concept car, and then secondly, spreading graffiti across the muscle car heritage of the Chrysler Corporation and upon its loyal customers?

In closing, I apologize to Mr. Creed if these comments appear too harsh, but on this day it is too difficult to restrain the tremendous disappointment that this former Daimler-Chrysler customer now feels.

Thank you.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yes...I agree with Mr. Speed.

THis car will be the "pinnacle of muscle car performance." (Quote by Bob Seaves)

Like everything else, including the latest Skyline, changes are contrinous. Even the PT Cruiser is changing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
This car may be fast but I disagree that it is a muscle car. Also, I say again that it has a bad case of the uglies.

·
Registered
113 Posts
While I wouldn't call it beautiful it's not ugly, like Pontiac Aztek or Honda Element ugly. I have to see it up close in person to make an educated decision.

I will say it's not beautiful like the 300C is, nor does it 'grab' me like the Dodge Viper or SRT-10 does.

Styling is a very subjective thing so I don't expect everyone will agree or disagree.

However Bob Lutz said something awhile ago that rings very true, the number one reason people by cars is because of 'styling.' Speed, power, luxury and MPG all important, but at the end of the day, many many people make the final buying decision based on how the car / vehicle is styled and looks.

I agree with this premise.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
5 Posts
:( I would like to comment on this since I have seen the final pictures of the "THING" they are going call the charger.

Thedesign center at DODGE must be taking a turn for the worst. First the new design of the new viper turns out to look like an oversized S2000.

Then to make it worst, they yank our cranks on that really nice concept charger. Then they o out and look for in person who desugned the VW thing, and put him to work on the "SO CALLED CHARGER".

This is what the charger would of evolved to if it would stayed alive for all these years!! :rolleyes: He must think that all the charger enthusiest, and the new ones must be as gullable as he.

I ask this, to any of the people from dodge that are looking at these forums.

What is the big thing about having all of you CARS!!! look like your trucks?
I know you want to keep that signiture cross grill look but, I think it has been carried a little to far. I really don't like to compare you guys to the other big 2, but this time I am going to have to. Gm does not even come to matter but Ford does.
Ford thought about comming out with the gt 40. Asked all the ford fanatics what they thought of the concept, what do you think everybody said?

When I spoke to CAMILLO PARDO, a couple of years ago. he told me that ford wanted to keep as much of the O R I G I N A L design of the mk 1 as possible. Guess what, I know we have all seen the final product.

Then comes the mustang. They came out with a design that I think is going to sell a boat load of cars!!$$$$

I end this by saying, I have a 68 charger. I have own 6 all togather in the past. I would of loved to have parked a new charger right next to my 68. Even more if it would of resembled the concept. I personally think that you have disapointed A LOT of people with this car you are going to realese.
I hate to say that FORD is going to have one over on dodge when it comes to anything but, this time you are going to have to be looking at all the sales they are going to make with the new mustang.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Chue dat man! If Dodge doesn't suprise the public........ (which I think they will cause they are just too good to make such an obvious mistake without a seriously good reason) then Dodge will be sulking in the corner while Ford draws in so much money it's rediculous.

What will really suck is if this comes to pass...... people like that new Mustang so much that I think we'll probably be choaked up to our necks in Mustangs within a year or two of it's release. I know right now I can't make the block without seeing atleast one Mustang if not 2 or 3 or even more at some times.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Mopar fans don't give a hoot about the design but performance.

As in the past, those Mopar cars with the exception of the 70 Barrcuda had beauty. the rest was just dang butt ugly. Yes! That includes that thing called a Charger box.

However, as I remember it back then, I had a 502 CUI Chevelle SS with 700-plus HP (12.5 compression) and I still feared the Hemi cars.

Dodge motto "IN YOUR FACE" has proven itself over the last few years to the point that others had taken on there own versions. You should seen the reaction of the Ram loyalist when the early 90ish Ram taken on the design look of the Semi truck. Yes! Screamed and yelled.

The loyalist will do the same but will eventually cave in as I did with the GEN IV Dakota. IT grows on you when you look different than the normal conversative design trucks.

DCx!!!! Bring on my 2007 SC Charger SRT...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: The mutation and mutilation of the Dodge Charger.

I think the Charger is very nice looking car, I cant wait to buy one! Nice job Chrysler!

·
Registered
115 Posts
hemidakota said:
the amount of hype on the global Internet I thought it already did.
HA! When I was in Australia this last year, I kept my eyes open for them. In two weeks I only saw two R34s and neither floated. They just flew.

·
Registered
26 Posts

I don’t see a connection in designs. It seems as if everybody has a problem with this new Charger. Why? So this car doesn’t look like a 1968 Charger R/T? Well that was the intention wasn’t it, not to build a car that was already built 37 years ago. This car is four doors, get over it. This car doesn’t look like an old Charger, get over it. Imagine if the Charger was never made and that the 2005 Charger was one of a kind. Would you have a problem with it then? I doubt it. Everyone would either like it or hate it but then that would be it. You wouldn’t say how it was a big disappointment. You’re not going anywhere if you keep looking behind you instead of ahead of you. This car is built for a new Generation, MY Generation. Go ahead and buy a retro Mustang. When I get my Charger, I’ll run circles around your retro car even with Bags of Groceries!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I hate to say it, but the old Charger was not that great of a design. Now the Challenger and the Cuda make me turned my head, as I would race them in my Chevelle SS. Yes! I am old enough to remember....LOL

There is no connection to the Chevy design and soon the bucket will fall as who was the head designer for this vehicle. On there patent, they list any similarities with other models on the first page. You will find it may be related to the Hemi 8, Airflite, and 300 lines.

·
Registered
37 Posts
ChargerSRT8 said:
I don’t see a connection in designs. It seems as if everybody has a problem with this new Charger. Why? So this car doesn’t look like a 1968 Charger R/T? Well that was the intention wasn’t it, not to build a car that was already built 37 years ago. This car is four doors, get over it. This car doesn’t look like an old Charger, get over it. Imagine if the Charger was never made and that the 2005 Charger was one of a kind. Would you have a problem with it then? I doubt it. Everyone would either like it or hate it but then that would be it. You wouldn’t say how it was a big disappointment. You’re not going anywhere if you keep looking behind you instead of ahead of you. This car is built for a new Generation, MY Generation. Go ahead and buy a retro Mustang. When I get my Charger, I’ll run circles around your retro car even with Bags of Groceries!
If the 60's era Chargers were never made, then the '06 Magnum Sedan, oops, I mean Charger, would never have been called Charger because there was no legacy to cash in on. And that would've been fine by me. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm fine with this car on its own merits. But when you resurrect a "retro" model name, you resurrect all that's associated with it. And for that reason alone I hope this car sells dismally. Maybe that will teach Trevor Creed and his cronies a lesson. To truly look ahead, just as you say they must do, the car for YOUR generation should have a model name for YOUR generation.

And you may very well run circles around the new retro Mustang, even with your bags of groceries, but my '68 R/T probably won't bow to the youngster so easily. ;) But then again, finding '68's on the road is like a needle in a haystack. We all know that finding new Mustangs won't be difficult at all. (But if this new Charger had gone a different direction, maybe that wouldn't be so easy to say?)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I really think the big hurdle is the combination of the name and the 1999 concept. Like others have mentioned - this doesn't seem to be a butt ugly car, but they did set expectations with the previous concept.

I'm going to withhold my final opinion until I see the car in person. I hated all the pictures of the new Viper when it came out. Then I saw one in person, and it oozes power and bad-assness. It was a great evolution on an old car. (And, one of the few companies, in my opinion, to successfully evolve a design that was originally "retro.")

Every car-maker learned that these retro designs make it very hard to evolve a design - and cars get older faster than ever. If you've seen a car design for 5 years, it looks old.

The smartest move for Dodge (since they've decided they're going to go with the Charger name) was to make that break from retro styling right at the beginning. Now they're free to take that design wherever they want in the future with no baggage.

I think Ford is going to have a devil of a time designing the next Mustang.

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you think that using the CHARGER retro name was a bad move, then wait for the next one coming soon that may throw you into a "tissy fit."

·
Registered
37 Posts
hemidakota said:
If you think that using the CHARGER retro name was a bad move, then wait for the next one coming soon that may throw you into a "tissy fit."
Ugh. Between Charger and Ram Daytona, I hopefully thought I'd seen it all. I'll keep my seat belt tight and wait for the turbulance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts