Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Spin Zone and the Dodge Charger

In Diamler's Spin Zone, "The Detroit News", Trevor Creed, Chrysler's design chief is quoted as saying, "...If the Charger had lived, this is how I believe it would have evolved."

Well then, someone should slap Charles Darwin because the depiction that I saw of the new Charger was a vile and grotesque mutation, not an evolutionary improvement upon the heralded Charger's appealing lines and stance of its origin.

Instead of Trevor Creed bringing us "The Origin of Species," he brought us "The Origin of Feces," because that is what his vision of the new Charger looks like. Frankly, I believe that I may have done a better job using an "Etch A Sketch."

If this, so called, designer was put in charge of the evolution of the dinosaurs, I would have voted for their extinction.

In Singapore a person can be caned for spray-painting graffiti on automobiles.

Tell me, what is the penalty for using a "Bait & Switch" routine, first showcasing the exciting '99 Charger concept car, then secondly, spreading graffiti across the muscle car heritage of the Chrysler Corporation and upon its former loyal customers?

In closing, I apologize to Mr. Creed if these comments appear too harsh, but on this day it is too difficult to restrain the tremendous disappointment that this former Daimler-Chrysler customer now feels.

Thank you

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey Mark,

Your comments were right on the money. No apology to Mr. Creed is necessary. What a colassal turd. The Charger name deserved so much better than this . . .

·
Registered
19 Posts
If they have to tell us that this is an evolution then it's obvious they have no idea who we are, and the target audience they missed. I think I speak for most people here when I say we would like it to be more like the past 30 didn't exist. What happend with the Charger was nothing smaller than blasphemy. Evolution wasn't very kind to it, or any other 60's-70's muscle car for that matter.

Yes, everything changed in 1975, and we have had to fight the evolution ever since. Look at how many cars are going retro now, simple beginnings make beutiful cars. But, I guess this car is more suited to the masses, I guess those of us who love and cherish the old Mopar vehicles just don't fit in to the "Daimler" portion of Chrysler.

I must say, I have not decided if I hate the car or not, but I can say I don't look at it longingly, as I do the 71-74 (my chosen favorites). One major improvment I can see would be the nose style of the race car, It has a much better appearance than the sedan.

I just may be forced, although it makes me cringe to say so, to look seriously at the new mustang over the new Charger.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Diamler's Travesty: The Counterfeit Charger

It is a travesty, what Diamler has done to Chrysler's muscle car legacy.

In my opinion, the only hope of saving the Charger legacy is in a collective effort to push for the renaming of this counterfeit vehicle.

This patchwork counterfeit vehicle has the body of a Ford Maverick, the grill of an S-10 Chevy pickup truck (as depicted on the cover of C&D) and all of the excitement and spirit that is exemplified by a can of SPAM.

Diamler could have thrown down the gauntlet in automotive circles by introducing the exciting '99 Dodge Charger concept car, but instead, they had to stir the ugly stick. Chrysler has missed the opportunity for its finest hour because Diamler has thrown common sense and a golden opportunity away.

It would have been better for Diamler not to have brought back the Charger in light of the butchery that they have performed on the car.

This "Bait & Switch" routine has been perpetrated by Diamler without any regard for Chrysler's former loyal customers. The blame lies at their feet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Diamler's Travesty: The Counterfeit Charger

In my opinion, the only hope of saving the Charger legacy is in a collective effort to push for the renaming of this counterfeit vehicle.

This patchwork counterfeit vehicle has the body of a Ford Maverick, the grill of an S-10 Chevy pickup truck (as depicted on the cover of C&D) and all of the excitement and spirit that is exemplified by a can of SPAM.

Diamler could have thrown down the gauntlet in automotive circles by introducing the exciting '99 Dodge Charger concept car, but instead, they had to stir the ugly stick. Chrysler has missed the opportunity for its finest hour because Diamler has thrown common sense and a golden opportunity away.

It would have been better for Diamler not to have brought back the Charger in light of the butchery that they have performed on the car.

This "Bait & Switch" routine has been perpetrated by Diamler without any apparent regard for Chrysler's former loyal customers. The blame lies at their feet.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Re: Diamler's Travesty: The Counterfeit Charger

Mark Ebert said:

Yes and no. Let's not lose sight of one thing here:

This is a RWD high-performance car with a Hemi V8.

And that puts it one up on just about anything Chrysler has built since the early '70s in terms of the "legacy" to which you refer.

And there are lots more LX cars in the pipeline. I don't like the use of the Charger name on this car, either. But sit tight, as there's even better stuff on the way.

·
Registered
22 Posts

georgejetson said:
Yes and no. Let's not lose sight of one thing here:

This is a RWD high-performance car with a Hemi V8.

And that puts it one up on just about anything Chrysler has built since the early '70s in terms of the "legacy" to which you refer.
Not really, it's a 4,000 pound 4 door car with maverick looks and a himi. I'm sorry, To call this car a high performance car is a stretch, I just dont see it. To put this car "one up" on anything chrysler has built is a stretch. If anyone wants a 4 door they will just buy the poor mans bently (300c), or the Magnum, not this car.

·
Registered
153 Posts

EVERRET said:
Not really, it's a 4,000 pound 4 door car with maverick looks and a himi. I'm sorry, To call this car a high performance car is a stretch, I just dont see it. To put this car "one up" on anything chrysler has built is a stretch. If anyone wants a 4 door they will just buy the poor mans bently (300c), or the Magnum, not this car.
While I agree with you that this car is extremely ugly, has two too many doors and never should have been called Charger I disagree that it will be a poor seller. I think it will sell well at first at least while those on the "love it" side of this "love it or hate it" design snap them up. Bottom line is that the car is a heavy four door and has no interest to me because of the number of doors and the bad styling. It may be fast and handle well, but to me a performance car has only two doors.

·
Registered
22 Posts

MoparMan said:
While I agree with you that this car is extremely ugly, has two too many doors and never should have been called Charger I disagree that it will be a poor seller. I think it will sell well at first at least while those on the "love it" side of this "love it or hate it" design snap them up. Bottom line is that the car is a heavy four door and has no interest to me because of the number of doors and the bad styling. It may be fast and handle well, but to me a performance car has only two doors.
I never really said it would be a poor seller, just that people would probably get the poor mans bentley (300c) before they bought a maverick/Charger. Are you saying you really think this will outsell the 300c ?

·
Registered
153 Posts

EVERRET said:
I never really said it would be a poor seller, just that people would probably get the poor mans bentley (300c) before they bought a maverick/Charger. Are you saying you really think this will outsell the 300c ?
No, I don't think it will outsell the 300 either, I just misread what you were saying. I think the styling is a risk and may front load sales the first year or two followed by a tanking of sales after all those who love it have bought it and those of us who hate it have bought something else.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I withhold judgement until I see the car. Till then its all speculation...

I believe it will be a winner but its just an opinion.

JB

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone rember what the '66/67 Dodge chargers looked like? They were butt ugly looked like a turtle shell on wheels, with as much sex appeal as a brick....then they got it right in '68,'69,'70,'71,'72..wow! whats that a charger?, no way! My way of describing the '73's up to i think the last rear wheel dodge charger magnum was sold was in '82....so quit foaming...Dodge or Chrysler has not said these are the pics of the car they are going to build...ever see the pics of the rear of the charger on dodge.com...teaser and you missed it.You can see pics or the car its self in the upcoming '05 detroit auto show in january...just have to wait a little longer.

Ok here is the link....but i know nothing and i mean nothing
http://www.dodge.com/dodge_life/index.html
think they would realease this pic and sell something that looked nothing like it.....dont think so...can you say lawsuit...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts