Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to Texas and am originally from the mid west. I was wondering if it is just me or do most Texas drivers act like there is 3 foot of snow on the ground when ever it rains?

Took me 15 minutes longer to make it to work to day weeding through the people driving like they are on ice?

I normally roll with what I am given, but I get so frustrated when it rains. Seems like some people couldn't drive a sharp stick into the ground:jeez:

Mornings like this just ruin my favorite time of the day, driving in my Charger!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yup that is normal. Drives me nuts as well. keep in mind that normally it only rains about once every 3 months in the summer so when it does, all the oils make things pretty slick. Our two seasons in the year are drought and flood.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Completely normal. Most Texas drivers think that rain gives them carte blanche to attempt a bootleggers' reverse on the freeway.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Yes, its normal for Texas.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I thought it was funny when it was mildly icy and was told that Houston might shut down for a day. Being from CT, I was laughing my ass off when i heard that but then saw that there are no d.o.t provisions for highway maintenance in case of cold, foul weather.

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
I am new to Texas and am originally from the mid west. I was wondering if it is just me or do most Texas drivers act like there is 3 foot of snow on the ground when ever it rains?

Took me 15 minutes longer to make it to work to day weeding through the people driving like they are on ice?

I normally roll with what I am given, but I get so frustrated when it rains. Seems like some people couldn't drive a sharp stick into the ground:jeez:

Mornings like this just ruin my favorite time of the day, driving in my Charger!
you mean you drive your charger in the RAIN!??!?! :lol:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
It's the same here in SoCal, a little rain and everyone freaks.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Been in Texas for about 4 years now, and this year it's been raining almost non-stop down here in Corpus Christi.

These people here in Texas DO NOT know how to drive in any condition. They are famous for blasting through stop lights/signs while talking on the cell phones and a think it's legal to drive intoxicated. Yes, it's really bad.

Oh yeah, the rocks on the roads are insane too. So far, 3 chips, one a small crack, on a 18 month old car. Driving only like 10 miles to work.

They also have no concept what it means to YIELD.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
yea, sometimes when i'm on the freeway i feel like i'd actually volunteer to put rainex on ppl's windshields just so they'd drive at a normal speed. sometimes it starts drizzling and people slow down to like 30. its crazy. if u do use rainex though its easy to drive too fast and hydroplane. done it lots of times.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is a place here in Dallas that installs a clear paint protection product. I noted all the rock chips on the lower rockers and had them install the protection. Well worth the money. I wish I would of did this sooner.

Received my car in Oct of 05 and it still looks in near perfect shape.

I keep wishing the rain would stop. I do not mind sacrificing my lawn for my clean car.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I can't wait til this rain stops hate when my car is dirty my wife keeps talking bout its good cause temp is cooler but I miss my baby shining.As in the claim of horrible drivers I do agree I thought louisana driver were bad first 5 min of rain claims the lives of many cars out here

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm from Minnesota and I used to travel throughout the state of Texas about 6 times a year and I could just never figure it out. How could they just not drive in the rain...worse yet was when they would have a freak ice storm. That would shut down the entire region. Only thing I liked about driving in Texas was the 90 MPH on the highways outside of the cities. I would normally drive from the DFW area down to Austin and back in about 8 hrs, of driving time, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I'm from Minnesota and I used to travel throughout the state of Texas about 6 times a year and I could just never figure it out. How could they just not drive in the rain...worse yet was when they would have a freak ice storm. That would shut down the entire region. Only thing I liked about driving in Texas was the 90 MPH on the highways outside of the cities. I would normally drive from the DFW area down to Austin and back in about 8 hrs, of driving time, if I remember correctly.
yep, its definately do able. but theres a lot of troopers in TX and theyre intimidating ;//

houston traffic makes me want to hang my self when the rain starts. it cracks me up because if it rains for more than 5 mins, i can pretty much garuntee that you will see at least one ambulance with its sirens on if your not on the highway(generally not much badness here, just slowness.) but on the city roads its comical how many wrecks there are in the rain cuz nobody knows how to drive.

course... here we all are talkin about how bad drivers people are. i wonder how many of us are bad driver our selves? NOT ME! lawlsup

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Send them up here to the Pacific Northwest. We will teach them how to drive. It rains like 8 or 9 months out of the year. The rain doesn't stop anything, not even sports.

·
Registered
17 Posts
At least it's semi-understandable for overly cautious driving during rain in Texas. However, I am usually find myself screaming in my car when it rains/snows here in Michigan. It seems there could be just a bit of moisture on the road from an earlier rain (i.e. not currently raining) and everything slows down to 50 on the highway. When it's ACTUALLY raining, you'd think this was everyones' first time experiencing rain.

I am NOT looking forward to the first snow of the year. Every year, without fail, the first snow makes me want to stab myself in the eye as I can only justify the result by imagining the drivers going "WHAT?!?! SNOW?!?! WHAT IS THIS?!!? *jerks wheel into a hard turn* *SLAM*". I can usually count about 6-8 accidents or more on my way to work (20 minute drive on the highway) on the first snow of the year. I'm not even talking significant snow, just a light snow.

It's freakin' Michigan! All we have year round is gray skies, crappy rainy weather, and months on end of snow and cold. Yet you'd never know it by the drivers.

Heck, within one week last month I ran into 4 or 5 major accidents on 275 (Between the 96 and 696 interchanges) that involved around 3+ cars each and at least one of them being completely totaled. Each of these incidents occurred during day time with sun or light cloud cover on near perfect days (Well, as perfect as you can get for Michigan).

Now I'm all angry. I think I'm going to go find the nearest living thing and kill it =P

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
its crazy driving in texas, but fun when its dry!
driving up here in Iowa is like being in a whole different world

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
There is a place here in Dallas that installs a clear paint protection product. I noted all the rock chips on the lower rockers and had them install the protection. Well worth the money. I wish I would of did this sooner.

Received my car in Oct of 05 and it still looks in near perfect shape.

I keep wishing the rain would stop. I do not mind sacrificing my lawn for my clean car.
Interesting; can you pass on the details of this? I find new dings every time I clean my car.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Arizona is the same way.

However, be advised there is some justification for it. When you go 3 months between rain, alot of rubber and oil builds up on the roads and makes them far slipperier when wet than they would be somewhere it rains frequently. It takes a fair amount of rain to clean off the roads.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts