Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about something after reading some old posts about the car being a little slow off the line and having to power brake to get the wheels to spin.
It's weird. I test drove an R/T without the package. I hit the gas and of course it did not spin. Then, I found that little button on the dash (ESP) and turned it off. The test car lit them up no problem at the next light. It also chirped the tires shifting into second (automatic mode).

My car (with the perf package) doesn't do that :sad:

I'm wondering if the perf package gives you more traction due to suspension changes (probably not). I probably just hit a slick spot on the road. It was hot and dry out.
My wife can't understand why i would even think about it!

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
this will sound stupid but for me it depends on the type of material i am driving on....ie pavement or blacktop. i can do one but not the other. blacktop i have great skid marks, the i move to pavement or concrete (the white stuff) and i can't get a chirp most of the time. it is frustrating....i was trying to show off to a friend and light the tires up and nothing....i just grinned and said oh well.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The ones with the performance pkg. have wider tires 55vs60 so you will have a little more contact patch. My Daytona won't lite the tires either, nor did the other 2 chargers or the 300C I drove. I have a hard time believeing that any one will w/o helping with the power brake method, I would have to see a video clip before I believe it my self.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
kind of off topic....have you seen the video of the srt8 laying waste to its tires......WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Daytona you may have provided the answer I should have known. Wider tires could be the reason. Not a bad thing.
I can tell you that I did stomp down pretty hard on the gas and it did leave a small strip - but nothing like power braking vidoes I saw. Just a little squeal and a chirp into second.
Maybe I can grab that car again from the dealer and make a video :happy:

I think that's why I was a little dissapointed (not really) with my car. I expected to hit the pedal and hear the sounds of abuse fly.
Love the car anyway. Good to know my baby is "normal".

·
Registered
732 Posts
This car should have no problem burning the tires off but the way dodge designed the computer with the tranny and all the other BS it's so annoying.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I figured. It certianly has enough HP.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Here's something to consider...

I've priced the tires for the Daytona at Tire Discounters here in Cincinnati.
They are a full service tire store. Ive found tires at The Tire Rack on the internet, but I wouldn't go that way for waranty purposes.

The Tire Rack was about $165-$180 each for tires.
Local store was in the $225-$240 range.

So smoking the tires isn't going o happen very often.

Besides... while you're smoking the tires the other guy is leaving.
Get full traction, BLOW HIS DOORS OFF, and then you don't have anything else to prove.

Of course...that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good Point, Waited. The tire smoking thing was for my own enjoyment - and now you had to go and throw the money issue into the equation!

Anyway, thanks a lot all you SOB's who gave the instructions on how to power brake this bad boy. I went down to the beach to try it out.
There are now some smoking black strips on that roadway and I'll have to get a direct hook-up to Michelin.

(actaully, just did one burnout and it satisifed me - temporarily)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts