Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the electronics convience package which included the external temperture guage that gives a digital readout in the instrument cluster. does any one here have one that actually gives the corect temperature or is there a way to calibrate it. mine consistantly reads about 6-8 degrees high. i have a pt cruiser and its temperature guage is always correct.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Found on another forum:

Press both the music note and the compass buttons at the same time until the diagnostic mode appears. Scroll until the average temp and raw temp appear. Press the right arrow button until the temperatures match.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the same problem with the temp. It always reads 5-6 degrees higher. I have an SXT and was wondering what I could do. :confused:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
70gt6 said:
Found on another forum:

Press both the music note and the compass buttons at the same time until the diagnostic mode appears. Scroll until the average temp and raw temp appear. Press the right arrow button until the temperatures match.
thank you

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have an SE so all it displays is the outside temp and mine is way off. Probably 8-10 degrees.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
70gt6 said:
Found on another forum:

well i followed those instructions and was able to lower the temp setting but there was no way to get the two numbers to match. at any rate i was able to change the temp and it stayed accurate from the time i changed it until i turned the car off and restarted it and then it rset back to its original settings and again still reads 6-8 degrees high, very frustrating.

·
Registered
67 Posts
janedoe said:
well i followed those instructions and was able to lower the temp setting but there was no way to get the two numbers to match. at any rate i was able to change the temp and it stayed accurate from the time i changed it until i turned the car off and restarted it and then it rset back to its original settings and again still reads 6-8 degrees high, very frustrating.
Does this work permanently? Mine is off, so my wife says.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I tried this today, but how do you get the numbers to be synchronized if the arrow changes the AVG temperature in alternating increments of 4 & 5 degrees? Am I doing something wrong?

**EDIT** Took car in for service today (12/28/05). Dealer indicated that 3-7 degrees is within normal operating tolerances. Also indicated that car must be traveling at least 30 MPH before the proper reading is obtained.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
salituro64 said:
I tried this today, but how do you get the numbers to be synchronized if the arrow changes the AVG temperature in alternating increments of 4 & 5 degrees? Am I doing something wrong?

**EDIT** Took car in for service today (12/28/05). Dealer indicated that 3-7 degrees is within normal operating tolerances. Also indicated that car must be traveling at least 30 MPH before the proper reading is obtained.
That's BOGUS.... So Dodge can't get these sensors right. I have had a lot cheaper cars with better sensors than this car. My temp sensor is also way off about 6-8 degrees on average. Plus the average mpg tells me I am getting 11 mpg average and after filling the tank I only have a range of 160 miles. I thought I bought a fuel efficient MDS Hemi V-8 and not the V-10 fuel hog of a Viper. 15 or 16 mpg I can understand but 11 mpg is very low unless the sensors are scewed up. Which I think might be the case.
I guess it wasn't worth paying the extra 630 bucks for the crappy EVIC display if it only give you eroneous information. Next thing you know it shows South and I am actually going North. :tongue:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dodge doesn't even admit this is a problem. My dealer told me it's working properly but I know it's reading high. Maybe their fuel maps use this data & it would throw the A/F ratio off?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Robins_SXT said:
Dodge doesn't even admit this is a problem. My dealer told me it's working properly but I know it's reading high. Maybe their fuel maps use this data & it would throw the A/F ratio off?
Huh.... :rolleyes: It's a simple sensor that is somewhere close to where outside air can get to it. It has nothing to do with any fuel maps or ECU functions that control the air/fuel mixture or any other engine related functions. That is just toally bogus. They just don't want to admit that there is a problem with the temperature sensor being off. Since it is not a major issue that relates to the proper or safe operation of the vehicle it is easier and cheaper for them just to ignore it. They figure most people won't notice or if they do they won't do anthing about it. Personally it bugs the crap out of me. Today my wife and I did a test run. She in her car and I in mine.
Her temp gauge indicated 36 degrees and mine said 42. Maybe Dodge doesn't want you to think it's cold outside and have the the temp gauge miscalibrated on purpose ;) In the summer it probably works the opposite way. When it is 91 degrees it will only read 86 degees. Perhaps this is how they fool the car in getting better gas mileage by cutting off the heat and air conditioning. There really is no MDS it's all in the temp sensor. Yeah, that's the ticket :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Re: Temperature gauge question

I thought I bought a fuel efficient MDS Hemi V-8 and not the V-10 fuel hog of a Viper.
As an aside, if you keep your foot OUT of the loud pedal on a Viper, you can get 19 MPG on the highway - it turns about 1200 RPM in 6th gear at 65 MPH.

Not that Viper owners drive like that very ofter mind you... :happy:

viperrwk

·
Registered
199 Posts
70gt6 said:
Found on another forum:

I have the same problem as the rest of you. If I had matched the 2 temps, it seems I'd be going the wrong way since raw was 52, avg was 47, and the real outside temp was 41 (I placed a digital thermometer outside and gave it time to get to outside temp). I just decreased the avg temp by an increment of 5, to 42. An hour later, I went back out and the car readout agreed with the outside thermometer perfectly, at 37. There is a 4-degree difference between the local temp on the weather channel and the thermometer at my car, which has been sitting on a big lot of concrete for the last 8 hours, thus warmer. So all I am saying, put a good thermometer by the car before doing your cal. This was all done with no car movement and no engine on. I guess I'll see if things remain ok when I drive home.

·
Registered
199 Posts
70gt6 said:
Found on another forum:

Did the cal yesterday, same old problem today....5 degrees too high. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
662 Posts
After reading all this, I'm actually glad I didn't get the electronics package. I don't really need to know the outside temp. I bet I could guess it within 5-10 degrees, which seems as accurate as the sensor...

And I calculate my gas mileage by hand. I should make it into an excel sheet though...

:cool:

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
All the calibration in the Diagnositcs only lasts until you turn off the engine and it resets itself. I like the EVIC option but this temp sensor is driving me bonkers.
There really should be a way of getting that adjusted.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Indiana Hemi said:
All the calibration in the Diagnositcs only lasts until you turn off the engine and it resets itself. I like the EVIC option but this temp sensor is driving me bonkers.
There really should be a way of getting that adjusted.

You're right, Indiana. I called two dealerships today to see if they'd run in to this and the answer was no both times, one service guy did take the time to look through histories. I'm sending a note to Dodge on this subject from the Dodge.com site. They require vin info etc., which is good, so they'll take it seriously. It would be interesting to poll all charger owners and LX owners on here to see what the percentage is on bad temp guages. I'll see what dodge has to say. In the meantime I guess I'll just subtract 5 degrees when I start up each time. I'll let you know what I find out.

PS, my raw count is way off also.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the same problem and when I made the appointment to take it in for a wiper issue, I told the service manager about my temp gauge always reading high, he asked what it was reading at the moment, and when I told him it was reading 52 in Seattle in the rainy winter we are having, he knew there was something wrong. Working for a different Chrysler dealership, I know that they can "flash" the body control module for the fix, but it will knock out the little ESP disabler that everyone is talking about. I will let you know the out come tomorow.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts