Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

In a few weeks I will be picking up my RT. A friend of mine suggested an engine like that has to babied by using the right type of oil and premium gas, for example. I don't have the owners manual yet, so I just thought I would solicit some opinions on here. Do you have to use premium gas? How about oil, what brand does the Hemi best? Oil Changes, etc. Just wondering.

Thanks

First-Car.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
The 5.7 (R/T's) take 87 or 89 grade, the premium is only on the SRT's. For oil thats up to personal preference, you can go either dino oil or synthetic. Only time you should be babying the engine is for the first few thousand miles, for the engine to break in.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The 5.7 (R/T's) take 87 or 89 grade, the premium is only on the SRT's. For oil thats up to personal preference, you can go either dino oil or synthetic. Only time you should be babying the engine is for the first few thousand miles, for the engine to break in.
I remember it being only the first 300 miles.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Sorry about that, mistype, baby the engine for the first couple hundred miles, the engine completely wakes up after a couple thousand miles.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Sorry about that, mistype, baby the engine for the first couple hundred miles, the engine completely wakes up after a couple thousand miles.
OMG is that so true. I just hit a little over 400, and man, its an almost different car. Its more responsive to me. I wasnt sure if I was just getting used to it or if it was 'breaking in'.

Not quite 2 weeks yet, just passed the 400 mile mark, filled it with Super (midgrade - I know the dealer went cheap on me at the dealership and filled it with cheapie) from Shell, and raced her once. Since then, the car seems awake!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
The manual says use 89 octane. After the 300 mile break in drive it like you stole it to program the adaptive learning...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts