Charger Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an extra set of tail lights and I want to tint/darken them, but I'm torn on the method to do it. Not sure of the rock blocker method or the nighthawk method.

I hear that the rockblockers are a pain in the a$$ to put on and tend not to stay on or may look bad over time. I'd like your input on that. Maybe a little easier install if they're already off the car???

2ndly is nighthawk. It seems easier just a little unsure about taking sandpaper to the plastic and yet with the paint wouldn't they be cloudy with all the scratches or do you rough em up just a little for the paint to adhere better? Again some input would be helpful.

3rd just a question about how they mount on the car. I haven't taken the new ones off yet so I don't know, just had them replaced due to an accident and don't want to for a week or so as not to disturb the new paint. But I am missing a few of the plastic pins that I assume are used for keeping the tail light from shifting around, although non of the pins that are threaded are gone they are all OK. Do you think I'm going to have problems with the tails shifting around and possibly scratching the paint.

And finally, anyone from Minnesota that has problems with the police for having tinted tails. I've checked they are illegal in Minnesota, but anyone have good or bad experience with theirs in Minnesota. Also would it help if a kept my stock tails in the trunk if I got pulled over just so I could say hey I can just swap them out...just a thought.

Thanks for any advice in advance!!!!

·
Banned
615 Posts
I've got an extra set of tail lights and I want to tint/darken them, but I'm torn on the method to do it. Not sure of the rock blocker method or the nighthawk method.

I hear that the rockblockers are a pain in the a$$ to put on and tend not to stay on or may look bad over time. I'd like your input on that. Maybe a little easier install if they're already off the car???

2ndly is nighthawk. It seems easier just a little unsure about taking sandpaper to the plastic and yet with the paint wouldn't they be cloudy with all the scratches or do you rough em up just a little for the paint to adhere better? Again some input would be helpful.

3rd just a question about how they mount on the car. I haven't taken the new ones off yet so I don't know, just had them replaced due to an accident and don't want to for a week or so as not to disturb the new paint. But I am missing a few of the plastic pins that I assume are used for keeping the tail light from shifting around, although non of the pins that are threaded are gone they are all OK. Do you think I'm going to have problems with the tails shifting around and possibly scratching the paint.

And finally, anyone from Minnesota that has problems with the police for having tinted tails. I've checked they are illegal in Minnesota, but anyone have good or bad experience with theirs in Minnesota. Also would it help if a kept my stock tails in the trunk if I got pulled over just so I could say hey I can just swap them out...just a thought.

haven't tried both i looked into rock blockers but didn't like the install so didn't do it i just this week tried doing the vht nightshades on my tails and totally ruined them not from wet sanding which is easy and any tard can do but i am traded and should not be allowed to touch a paint can ever ever again so if you think you can handle yourself with a rattle can then go for it

·
Banned
615 Posts
If you have a product that can get 1500 grit sanding marks out i would go with the nightshade, if not then i would go with the rockblockers
i have a product that can take out 1000grit paper but i still maged to ruin them so all in all if you cant paint pay someone to do them

·
Banned
615 Posts
x2

sorry to hear that yours didnt come out good man:(
I've been trying for literally two days straight i put like 15 hours in these things lol i should have just paid someone off the bat now i have to buy more of the same products and pay someone to sand them down and redo them because at this point i am unwilling to even look at them

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you have a product that can get 1500 grit sanding marks out i would go with the nightshade, if not then i would go with the rockblockers
What do you mean by "If you have a product that can get 1500 grit sanding marks out"? Do you mean a buffer? Sorry I'm a little dense this morning so not understanding.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
What do you mean by "If you have a product that can get 1500 grit sanding marks out"? Do you mean a buffer? Sorry I'm a little dense this morning so not understanding.
bump, yall just talkin about waxing it up afterwards

·
Registered
4 Posts

I am all for modifying a car to look nice, and reflect your own personal taste.

That being said, as an EMT on an ambulance for several years, and grimly understanding quickly that everything can be replaced but life.., I don’t see why anyone would wish to tint their headlights or black out their tail lights?

These are two things that let you see the person wearing dark clothes at night, or prevent you from being rear-ended in foggy, or a poor visibility rainy night!

-JMHO

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I am all for modifying a car to look nice, and reflect your own personal taste.

That being said, as an EMT on an ambulance for several years, and grimly understanding quickly that everything can be replaced but life.., I don’t see why anyone would wish to tint their headlights or black out their tail lights?

These are two things that let you see the person wearing dark clothes at night, or prevent you from being rear-ended in foggy, or a poor visibility rainy night!

-JMHO
They haven't been here in 10 years so who knows what they did.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts