Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are so many people running 180 tstats? What's the ones that are stock in the 5.7's? All I can figure is that dodge put in the higher tstats to burn off more emissions but does it make a big difference in how the motor runs?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
People put in the 180 t-stat to help get the engine cooled earlier with the fan's kicking on earlier. The 180 t-stat makes both the fans kick on sooner rather than wait to 200+ degrees before they kick on, both of them atleast.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
actually,

the 180 t-stat allows your coolant to flow sooner. your stock tstat is 202. its mostly for the strip because it helps to cool your engine down sooner and keep it cooling longer.

it works best in CONJUCNTION with the fan mods,.

however the tstat does not effect when your fans come on

·
Registered
928 Posts
yep tstat will keep your engine cooler, allowing for more power. our engine respond VERY poorly to heat. example at 180 degrees I ran .4 faster at the track than at full temp. ive heard that once you get above 195 degrees or so you loose about 20-30hp

the stock one is 204 i belive. i have a 180 t stat now and I promise it makes a diffrence. go out and floor your car when its at 160-180 degrees. feel how fast it goes. then drive it around for a while and let it get up to full temp 220-230 w/e it gets to. drive around and get good and heat soaked and then floor it. you WILL notice the diffrence.

·
Registered
820 Posts
So where would the best place be to get one for an 07 srt8? I'm guessing a local auto parts store. (???) Also, what brand should I ask for? thanks!

·
Registered
928 Posts
yeah any auto parts store, they are like 12 bucks. search the forum someone listed a bunch of part numbers, then you can just walk into AUTOGIANTNAME and say give me x540d3j and they will pop it right in your hand.

mines a motorad brand.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
So we all know that the T-stat is for better emissions, so what is the long term effect on the cats with the lower temps?

·
Registered
928 Posts
nothing, your not changing exhaust gas temps. at least not significantly. fuel will burn at the temp it burns, the coolant is just cooling you engine block down.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Motorad 4128

I found mine at O`Rielly`s

You cannot ask for one by application, you need to ask for the brand, MOTORAD, then look for 4128 on the box. I

Scott

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
omg i had a realization, the brand from autozone is ValuCraft.

it was like 15 bucks.
they ask me for make/model... i tell em, they say they got nothin for tstats.

i say ok type in "4128" for your part number. and it pops up as valucraft tstat. thats the one.

when you open it up, the actually tstat inside the box has the words "motorad" etched in it on one side, and "germany" in it on the other

·
Registered
253 Posts
omg i had a realization, the brand from autozone is ValuCraft.

it was like 15 bucks.
they ask me for make/model... i tell em, they say they got nothin for tstats.

i say ok type in "4128" for your part number. and it pops up as valucraft tstat. thats the one.

when you open it up, the actually tstat inside the box has the words "motorad" etched in it on one side, and "germany" in it on the other
good info

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
yep tstat will keep your engine cooler, allowing for more power. our engine respond VERY poorly to heat. example at 180 degrees I ran .4 faster at the track than at full temp. ive heard that once you get above 195 degrees or so you loose about 20-30hp

the stock one is 204 i belive. i have a 180 t stat now and I promise it makes a diffrence. go out and floor your car when its at 160-180 degrees. feel how fast it goes. then drive it around for a while and let it get up to full temp 220-230 w/e it gets to. drive around and get good and heat soaked and then floor it. you WILL notice the diffrence.
Yeah some guys ran some logs with their Super chips and saw that once the coolant hit 195 the engine started to pull timing.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for your help, when I get paid I'll have to go get one.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
You still need to do the fan mod for summer driving. Otherwise the fans still dont turn on till you hit 219 or so. Winter driving the car will never see over 200. Here in PA it runs at 185 in the winter, and with a fan mod of some sort.... summer driving I can keep it in the 190's to 188 in traffic. And yes... the car is much more aggressive with a cooler block.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You still need to do the fan mod for summer driving. Otherwise the fans still dont turn on till you hit 219 or so. Winter driving the car will never see over 200. Here in PA it runs at 185 in the winter, and with a fan mod of some sort summer driving I can keep it in the 190's to 188 in traffic. And yes... the car is much more aggressive with a cooler block.

What needs to be done to the fans? How much money would I be looking at?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
25 cents.
but this method is basically always on.. or you go and unplug it from your fuse box. and its back to stock.

the 25 cent method(using 10 or 14 gauge wire and a couple of other super chieap pieces ) is more for track use as your car will rn the fan even while its off, like i said u have to unplug it everytime u get outta the car or risk a dead battery.

heres the DIY link:
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41694&highlight=25+cent+fan+mod

here is teh fan mod that is capable of being tied to a switch. the NOESP guy makes it.you can flip it on or off whenever you want, ibeleive it even controls both fans if u have 2 switches.
http://www.noesp.com/

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Here's the easiest fan mod I made two years ago..... works like a charm, using the stock relay, with the switch mounted inside the cabin.

Wiring:

Switch panel: Red controls ESP-OFF 100% Orange is for Fan On/Off and Green is for LED floor lighting On/Off

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
so having the lower t-stat in the fall winter months...does it even matter then, or is the lower t-stat mainly for the warmers months of the year?

·
Registered
928 Posts
no they work together. all the thermostat does is open up at a certain temperature. you car still relies on the radiator to cool off the coolant.

so, thermostat opens at w/e temp it is, lets say 180. then coolant start flowing through your engine. unless you are moving there is little to no air moving over your radiator to cool off the fluid. this is where the fan mod comes in, to pull sitting air over your radiator. stock the car will kick on teh fans at 219, however it starts pulling timing at 190 so you have already lost power. with a fan mod you can turn on the fans when ever you want to keep the engine cooler or on hot days warm up slower.

keeping that in mind, durning the winter when the outside air is colder, driving around will push nice cold air over your radiator all by its self. making your engine heat up nice and slow. kick on the fans and you will usualy stay right around the temp of the thermostat as the coolant will work with to cold air to keep your engine at a stable temp.

in the summer, the air is warmer so your pulling HOT instead of cold airover your radiator making it less efficent. however, this allows you to keep your car cooler than it would normaly be, even if its 200-210 and not 230+ you will still be making more power.

get it now?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts