Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it better to install a 3500 edge converter (~$500)or LSD diff with modded rearend(~$1000)?
Mods thus far:
2006 RT
SRT8 headers and midpipes
5.7 magnaflow catback
Spartan plus cam
180 thermostat
22" wheels (obviously a mistake, but i deal with em)
Drilled&slotted rotors
-whats better to do? I was thinkin the torque converter would be good cz the car does't put out 400rwhp anyhow, but then again i am not sure if it will be faster if i get the lsd setup with newer model axles hubs etc.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
I would do the stall first. That will get you out of the hole faster. Then down the road do gears. With the spartan plus you should be around 380rwhp. If I remember right that cam makes peak torque around 4200 so a 3500 stall would be good on the street. I would call andre at edge to discuss and to pick the best torque to stall ratio for your end goals

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Plum Crazy. Yea i didnt do the heads (bummer) but i think its prob 330-340hp. T/c sounds good.
Will the peak hp still e the same with the cam regardless if the heads are stock?

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
I would do the stall first. That will get you out of the hole faster. Then down the road do gears. With the spartan plus you should be around 380rwhp. If I remember right that cam makes peak torque around 4200 so a 3500 stall would be good on the street. I would call andre at edge to discuss and to pick the best torque to stall ratio for your end goals

Gotta disagree. '06 Charger R/T only has the 2.82 rear gear. He needs gearing before a converter. Especially with the 22" whls. If it already had the 3.06 gear or more, I would agree with you. Just another opinion to muddy the waters with.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Gotta disagree. '06 Charger R/T only has the 2.82 rear gear. He needs gearing before a converter. Especially with the 22" whls. If it already had the 3.06 gear or more, I would agree with you. Just another opinion to muddy the waters with.
Gosh I didn't even think about the 2.82's....I would agree gears and then stall. Glad you called me out on this one because you are dead on, on this we need to get that engine running and shifting into its powerband and then focus on the right stall:bigthumb:

282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What happens if i do the stall? Will it still work? I was told the 2.82 isnt terrible, and that it will work up to 400hp but im barely hittin 350 so..
Sure I understand what you both are sayin, but has anyone else ever run a setup like this with stock rearend?

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
What happens if i do the stall? Will it still work? I was told the 2.82 isnt terrible, and that it will work up to 400hp but im barely hittin 350 so..
Sure I understand what you both are sayin, but has anyone else ever run a setup like this with stock rearend?
Yep it will work. I ran it like that for a few months and its fine..but once you add the gears it becomes a whole new car! :beerchug:

282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
-Plum
On that note here are a few questions:
1. What's more worth it, to save up for new heads, or a better rear-end?
2. A friend is selling his used stock 2006 SRT8 3.06 rear-end for a decent price. What is the difference between stock 3.06 and stock 2.82 in terms of launching and 60ft, 1/8, and 1/4 times?
3. What ratio/ brand of diff is preferable with the cam only modded 5.7, and what about for 5.7 with modded heads AND cam?

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
-Plum
2. A friend is selling his used stock 2006 SRT8 3.06 rear-end for a decent price. What is the difference between stock 3.06 and stock 2.82 in terms of launching and 60ft, 1/8, and 1/4 times?
3. What ratio/ brand of diff is preferable with the cam only modded 5.7, and what about for 5.7 with modded heads AND cam?
Those are some great questions! And before I try to answer them I need to know more about your goals. Are you looking to get the most out of your cam. Are you looking for the most street light to street get up and go. Give me an idea 9n what you want from the car and I will give you the best answer I can

282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My goal is to have the quickest ride possible for the buck, and not have other parts be severely damaged from the mods. Step by step I am trying to create a mean machine.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
My goal is to have the quickest ride possible for the buck, and not have other parts be severely damaged from the mods. Step by step I am trying to create a mean machine.
I like the way you think!:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
-Plum
1. With the heads I would check with Stu and verify you are losing that much hp over his cnc heads. the hp loss might not be that bad.
2. This is a tough one. No one really gives any info on this. But I know that a 3.55 gear is about ideal for us. I love my 3.92 gears as there is no dead spot when hitting the hammer. Example at 40 mph I can stab the gas and when the transmission drops down I am in my powerband, unlike the 2.82 and you have that gear and you know how it feels at a cruise at 40 to wide open....it sucks 3.73 or 3.92's take that away. They will also give you much better 60' and 1/8 and 1/4 mile times over the 3.06. My best 60' is a 1.67 with 3.92's
3. I like the getrags because they are common, they are proven and relatively cheap compared to the others that are out there. Second for our hp and tq levels they are very reliable. You should be able to find some used ones relatively cheap. Big thing with getrag is you can do the install yourself and if you want to upgrade the clutch packs, you can do it before the install

282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info!
What will the upgraded clutch pack do compared to stock? I never heard of that although it seems like a good idea. I was under the impression that people were just installing the diff, axles, hubs, bearings, and rear half of driveshaft, tuning it and ready to go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts