Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im gonna get my oil changed today. and it wil lbe the second time since ive owned the car, and im putting in synthetic.

the stupid question:
is there more than 1 kind of synthetic(i.e. 10w40 or 50 or blah blah) like there is on dino oil? or is it just "hey i want mobil 1 synthetic" and they do it?

thanks

·
Registered
990 Posts
Use Royal Purple 5w-20. you will not regret it. 5-6 psi more oil pressure at idle, and the seat of the pants dyno showed more pep.

·
Registered
502 Posts
im gonna get my oil changed today. and it wil lbe the second time since ive owned the car, and im putting in synthetic.

the stupid question:
is there more than 1 kind of synthetic(i.e. 10w40 or 50 or blah blah) like there is on dino oil? or is it just "hey i want mobil 1 synthetic" and they do it?

thanks
Yes, Synthetic oil comes in different weights just like dino oil. If you want Mobil 1 Synthetic you'll need to make sure they use the correct weight. It's 5W20 for the 5.7 and 0W40 for the 6.1.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Yes, Synthetic oil comes in different weights just like dino oil. If you want Mobil 1 Synthetic you'll need to make sure they use the correct weight. It's 5W20 for the 5.7 and 0W40 for the 6.1.
I'll buy that answer for a dollar! :)

Agreed.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Just make sure you use the 5/20...that's what the car is rated for. I took mine to the place where I used to get my Firebird done years ago, and they still had it in my account to put Valvoline 10/30 in there...no one bothered to read the oil cap (which clearly states to ONLY use 5/20) or ask me about it...so I wound up w/10/30 and didn't realize it 'till I was at the drag strip; it was not a good time for that realization!

Needless to say, I've changed where I take my car for oil changes :)

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks a bunch :) is the royal purple availible at tune shops etc who change oil? (i get mine done at mister carwash for a good price) i know they have synth, but not sure about the details.

or would i have to pick it up at the store? and if so, how many quarts does this car hold?

(id check myself in the manual but im at work at the monent)
thanks ahead!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Which is precisely why I never take my car to drive through oil change places. Even the Dodge dealer our family has used for 20 years says all they keep is 30w like everybody else because it's cheaper and doesn't make that much difference. I might pay more for Mobil1 oil and filters, but at least when I put it in, I know it's Mobil1 and I know what weight it is.

Just make sure you use the 5/20...that's what the car is rated for. I took mine to the place where I used to get my Firebird done years ago, and they still had it in my account to put Valvoline 10/30 in there...no one bothered to read the oil cap (which clearly states to ONLY use 5/20) or ask me about it...so I wound up w/10/30 and didn't realize it 'till I was at the drag strip; it was not a good time for that realization!

Needless to say, I've changed where I take my car for oil changes :)
The car holds seven quarts. Most quick change places - probably especially the car wash place - won't have Royal Purple or Mobil1 in stock so you'd have to bring your own to that one.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Not to Hi-jack. I do my own oil, used Mobile 1 Synth yada yada. Anyways, what filters you guys use? I bought the Mobile 1 brand. It was more expensive than most, but less than the K&N.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Hmm, good thing you posted this Iwin, was going to ask about oil change to. Coming up on 12k miles fairly quickly and planning on switching out the dino oil that's in it right now to Royal Purple. How much should the dealership oil change run me? Does the price include the oil and filter, or would I be better off buying the filter and oil my self and having them change it out?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I bought K&N filter and SupremeG i called around for oil change for Mobile1 Synthetic and it was going to be like $110 so i bought the stuff for $50 and did it myself. Most places wont let you bring your own oil and filter in, thats how they rape you.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hmm, good thing you posted this Iwin, was going to ask about oil change to. Coming up on 12k miles fairly quickly and planning on switching out the dino oil that's in it right now to Royal Purple. How much should the dealership oil change run me? Does the price include the oil and filter, or would I be better off buying the filter and oil my self and having them change it out?
The difficult part (not really) is removing the huge piece of plastic to get to the oil pan and filter. I put a towl down so I would not slide it around on the cement. Also the drain plug aims back so the oil shoots out about a foot and a half, set your drain pain accordingly to avoid a mess.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i use wix filters and synthetic oil. btw synthetic oil is really just dino oil thats been filtered a lot. thats why it doesnt break down as much because the bigger pieces that would normally break down are filtered out.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i got a car full of royal purple now :) she feels like it runs smoother when pushing hard on the gas, but im not sure i can feel any more pep yet.

what benefites might i find from changing the oil filter as well?

·
Registered
13,222 Posts

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
The difficult part (not really) is removing the huge piece of plastic to get to the oil pan and filter. I put a towl down so I would not slide it around on the cement. Also the drain plug aims back so the oil shoots out about a foot and a half, set your drain pain accordingly to avoid a mess.
*snicker*

Let him find out the hard way, like I did! :awkward:

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
i use wix filters and synthetic oil. btw synthetic oil is really just dino oil thats been filtered a lot. thats why it doesnt break down as much because the bigger pieces that would normally break down are filtered out.
Well, not quite...

Synthetic oil is created synthetically; chemically created from pure stocks of smaller hydrocarbon molecules; recently, I believe, some are being synthesized from methane (natural gas, CH4). Synthesizing it this way gives great control over what chemical compounds are in the end product, giving the ability to more fully DESIGN and control the properties of the lubricant.

Dino oil is refined (or purified) from crude oil, mainly by distillation. It can be a complex mixture of many different compounds, not all of which are exactly what you want in an oil.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
I'd have paid 3 bucks to have seen that..... :D
I'll give you $20 to STFU! :lol:

It was funny, actually.... at least later, after a few beers anyway. :nervous s

1 - 20 of 53 Posts