Charger Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I have a 2011 Dodge Charger RT Hemi AWD - I had the transfer case fluid changed but I think, based on the invoice, the mechanic used synthetic differential fluid in the transfer case instead of BorgWarner 44-40 transfer case lubricant (as suggested in the manual).

is that ok or should I have it drained and refilled? No issues but I had it done only about 10 days ago.

Thank you

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Welcome to the forums from Texas.

As long as the fluid used meets the manufacturer's specification it will be OK to use.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The invoice read Synthetic differential fluid. Not sure if it was 75W90 or 75W140. The invoice did not specify.

Yeah my plan is to go in and ask for a drain and refill of the correct fluid. Need to speak directly to the tech who worked on it.

Thank you

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Yeah I would. Dealer techs screwed up so many NV4500 transmissions in the 90's for not using the specific oil that transmission called for that Dodge ordered a case revision with the drain plug removed! They told them lubed for life and leave it alone!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Yeah go get your money back because that guy just fk'd you if he did put diff fluid in it. The 44-40 fluid is dexron 3 atf.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you - going back on Monday to get it drained and refilled with the correct fluid.

Hopefully driving it 300 miles or so with the wrong fluid will not cause the transfer case any harm.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Gear oil being so thick would probably be making the clutches act sort of like a torque converter. I bet it's trying to turn the front output even more than normal from drag in the case. When in rwd the front axle is disconnected so it shouldn't do anything. If awd engaged the front end though the car probably wouldn't be able to modulate the power being sent to the front well (there is no differential in the case, the computer modulates the clutch to allow different front and rear axle speeds).

There is also a pump in the case that circulates fluid to all the bushes, bearings, and clutches. It's not going to be able to circulate thick gear oil like the thin atf it's meant for. This fluid circulation to things like the sprocket to the front output chain is probably needed even in rwd as the front would usually be not spinning or spinning more slowly compared to the main shaft spinning at the speed of the trans output.

Aside from fluid circulation, my other concern long term would be from gear oil soaking into the clutches. Will they ever have the same friction coefficient again? If not the system may never work as designed again. Maybe some flushes of the correct fluid would clear it out over time.

Again this is all seeming speculative until you know for sure if they put the wrong fluid in. If they did you'd at minimum want the to flush it with the correct fluid a couple of times.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If the grade is wrong, have them flush the system, preferrably twice to remove all wrong fluid.

As for the driving with the wrong stuff, most probably no harm at all as long as you don't torture the car.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
If it was just a box of gears and chains like an old new venture transfer case sure, but that is not the case here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello:

I have a 2011 Dodge Charger RT Hemi AWD - I had the transfer case fluid changed but I think, based on the invoice, the mechanic used synthetic differential fluid in the transfer case instead of BorgWarner 44-40 transfer case lubricant (as suggested in the manual).

is that ok or should I have it drained and refilled? No issues but I had it done only about 10 days ago.

Thank
Hello:

Thank you
I would recommend that you go to the Dodge dealer [only], get the case filled with the correct fluid, and have them check for any damage that was done. Then, take your bill from Dodge and get reimbursed at the shady place that did the fluid change in the first place. If there is damage, have the Dodge dealer document it and the cost of any repairs. Push the initial place to pay for any repairs needed and have them done at the dealer. Just a word of unsolicited advice: I always take my vehicle to the dealer for all maintenance. Yes, I may pay a little more,, but I know it's done right and, if not, I have the FCA customer service team to help me. Plus, if your vehicle is still in warranty, then all of your required maintenance is documented in THEIR system and not a few other places. It just makes it much easier if you have an issue. Good luck to you and let is know how it turns out!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you everyone for your replies.

Turns out the shop forgot to replace the transfer case fluid so I had them do it.

The Synthetic differential fluid was used only for the differentials. I thought they used it in the transfer case because they charged me for four quarts of synthetic differential fluid (even though the differentials only take 2.3 quarts).

They used the extra quarts of differential fluid to flush the old differential fluid out (not in the transfer case thankfully).

I thought they would use the BG machine (like they did for power steering and brake flushes) but they instead did the differential and transfer case flushes manually, which was more expensive and time-consuming.

The shop I used is reputable but the stress and confusion from this misunderstanding will cause me to look elsewhere.

Thanks again for your responses!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts