Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
113 Posts
I've never been sold on synthetic...... as long as you change it often enough and use name brand oil its fine.

Not to mention how much oil it takes for the Hemi :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
farkedup - I agree with you! I never spend money for the fancy oil. I stick with mobile 1 reg or castrol, quaker etc. I change it at 3 - 6k anyhow and never have problems. synth you pay 3 times the cost per quart or something like that.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I used synth religeously in my intrepid, it actually is supposed to go 5000 miles before you change it and you can strech that for annother 2k with no problem. I never would push non synth past 3500, I had an engine seize on me a few years ago when I did that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have used Royal Purple in every car I've owned over the past 7 years (Volvo 960, BMW 740il, Acura MDX). All performed better and I had NO engine-related problems on any of them. Sold the Volvo with 128k miles, BMW has 107k miles, Acura has 41k miles. Check out: http://www.royalpurple.com/techa/whyrpa.html

Wouldn't recommend switching to RP before 10k miles on the engine so the rings seat well - it's very slippery! Also use Polydyn TX7 - really seems to make a difference in mpg and operating temps. RP can be purchased at most NAPA stores and some better oil change stores.

Happy motoring!!!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
wannacharger said:
I have used Royal Purple in every car I've owned
Looks good. Customer recommendation doesn't hurt either! :smile:

May try it out on my SRT-8, after 10K that is.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Guys (and Gals),

I was looking on the "allpar" site and they have a paragraph that says in order for the MDS system to work properly, you have to use 5W20 oil. What are you all using, and does the manual confirm this?

Here is the link....the paragraph is under "Oil grades and use" within the "Important notes for Hemi owners" Section.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html

Probably a dumb question....but I'm just curious since my charger should be here in a month or so....

Thanks all...

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
GoingHemi said:
I was looking on the "allpar" site and they have a paragraph that says in order for the MDS system to work properly, you have to use 5W20 oil. What are you all using, and does the manual confirm this?
Yes, the manual confirms that MDS requires 5W20. I haven't had my first oil change yet but I will absolutely use 5W20 synthetic (probably Mobil1).

·
Registered
587 Posts
I doubted the claims ofsynthetic for a while, till I had to replace a valve cover gasket in a car that has Mobil 1 in it. I pulled the cover and had none of the sludge you normally see on the inside of the covers. I mean NONE only a slight color change to the cover no buils up at all. Rockers were clean, push rods, and springs... I will continue to use it, so far I have only used Mobil 1 in the engine. I did replace all driveline fluids in a Jeep with Red Line synthetics and that reduced noise and eased manual shifting.

Also, I do not believe you have to wait for a "break in period". The SRTs, as well as a lot of other cars come with synthetics from the factory. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I use synthetic blend during warranty period and full synthetic after the warranty period.

·
Registered
202 Posts
i always use mobile one super syn. its the engine's blood. i see no reason not to use the best. its costs more. boo hoo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Took my R/T to the Dodge dealer to get the oil changed and we talked about this very issue. The bottom line, from the dealer, was this:

"You MUST use the 5W20 oil in the 5.7 HEMI or any internal engine problems will NOT be covered under the warrenty. If your oil changes are not in the Dodge Maintenance system, then they will test the oil to see if its 5W20 BEFORE doing any warrenty work." Williamsburg Dodge.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Diver-dad said:
Took my R/T to the Dodge dealer to get the oil changed and we talked about this very issue. The bottom line, from the dealer, was this:

"You MUST use the 5W20 oil in the 5.7 HEMI or any internal engine problems will NOT be covered under the warrenty. If your oil changes are not in the Dodge Maintenance system, then they will test the oil to see if its 5W20 BEFORE doing any warrenty work." Williamsburg Dodge.
Thanks for the info. So, does it have to be "OIL" or can you use "SYNTHETIC" ?

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
From what my sources tell me, the weight is the crucial thing, not the synthetic/non-synth composition. As long as it meets grade ratings and weight criteria, your okay.

·
Registered
41 Posts
A dealer told me 5W20 is only available in synthetic and commanded a $45.00 upcharge. I'm confused because I was sure 5W20 is available as regualr oil. I'd appreciate any clarification. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
A Google search search turned up the following info:

http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/ford5w20.htm

It sounds like the "Federal Magnusson Moss Act law" prevents the mfg from voiding your warranty based on oil weight.

It appears that you can get regular oil in 5W20 and synth as well.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
MF, that would depend on thwe wording in the manual. "Recommended" versus "Required".

In most cases, I think your okay. But the MDS will not function properly without the proper viscosity, and therefore I think is required. I think that Amsoil dealer is stretching the M&M act.

I think while they cannot indeed specify a brand, they can spec a viscosity. Like specing a friction modifier for a limited slip rear end. Or a certain weight of gear lube for the diff. Do you really think if you used 50W instead of 90W, you would, or even should be covered?

The 6.1 of course does not have MDS, but I'll still use what they recommend.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Javv, find another dealer, they ripped you.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
I have used nothing but Mobil 1 on all of my performance cars for almost 20 years. Every single one of them has given me over 200,000 miles with no engine tear downs and countless races. Sure, it is a few bucks more. But it is clinically proven to be superior oil.

you get what you pay for

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Of The Moonlight said:
i always use mobile one super syn. its the engine's blood. i see no reason not to use the best. its costs more. boo hoo.
BINGO

I am hard on my cars so I give them the best.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts