Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im deciding on weather i should switch gas companys? :confused: This is my problem im currently using chevron in my 3.5 charger 89 octane. my switch is due to high gas prices in san jose, cali! the other gas company that i want to move to is costco gas but heres my problem costco doesnt carry 89 octane all they carry is 87 ang 91 octane. if i decide to switch to the cheaper priced gas should i put in the 91 octane from costco or the 87 octane this is my problem!! i would like others opinions on this thanks........... gas aint cheap in cali! i think its going to get worse.(knock on wood):lol:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
When I'm in my city I use Speedway, and when traveling I'll go with Shell, Exxon, Amoco high end fuels. I still use the same grade 89.

·
Banned
8,603 Posts
I saw first hand what cheap gas can do....I always used Exxon in my Charger.....the person who bought my heads bought gas at the local supermarket.....we both had 17,XXX miles on our cars....when the intakes were removed the walls of his intake ports were gummed up with black junk....mine looked almost new...

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i heard that chevron is the best gas you can buy here in san jose cali but its pricesy!!! and costco carrys on 87 and 91 but before i decided to save some money i used chevron and i use 89 but i pay 3.11-3.20 for that and costco offer theirs for 87 2.77 and their 91 2.95!!!! so what you all are saying is just stick to chenron??? thanks............??

·
Registered
689 Posts
My understanding on this is it may be cheaper per gallon but in the long run it is worse for your engine. When my only option has been the cheap gas companies, all of the cars I have had ran bad compared to when I normally use only BP/Amoco. I have also heard you may not get as much mileage out of it?

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Just stick to a well known brand, use the octane rating advised and you can't go far wrong. :)

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I said this before and will say it again, on "another" gas thread:
Regular gas (87) is "the same" in ALL gas stations.
89 and 91 is NOT.

If you shop for 87, go for the cheapest fng station in town, but if you shop for 89 or 91, go for the expensive ones, like Shell, Exxon, BP. Shell is one of the best out there; supposely, that realy expensive type they have (V-Power) has cleaning agents in the mixture that cleans your engine, but that's just a rumor I've heard.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
That is just not true.
Well, I've watched a documentary on TV the other day about that, can't recall what channel (I think it was CNN or something), but they did various tests on different gas stations, and all them came up the same on the 87.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Well, I've watched a documentary on TV the other day about that, can't recall what channel (I think it was CNN or something), but they did various tests on different gas stations, and all them came up the same on the 87.
What were they testing for? Octane?

I'd avoid Costco pisswater gas at all costs. My wife's Taurus stranded me once because of her using crummy grocery store gas. When I changed the fuel filter the stuff coming out of it was black.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
well I guess if you're in doubt just fill up half your tank with 87 and the other half with 91 (that's all midgrade really is. Gas stations only have two tanks, regular and premium. When you select the midgrade fuel it just taps the two lines together).
I realize the hard part would be determining that "halfway" point when filling up your tank, though.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
stick with mid grade, higher octane burns slower which is good for certain engines but ours is not one of them. Good gas makes it all worth it in the long run and I want mine around for the long run.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
stick with mid grade, higher octane burns slower which is good for certain engines but ours is not one of them. Good gas makes it all worth it in the long run and I want mine around for the long run.

You know, the funny thing is, we talk so much about the gas being better on the engine in the long run, but the truth of the matter is; who here will have the Charger for over 120k miles? Lol

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
You know, the funny thing is, we talk so much about the gas being better on the engine in the long run, but the truth of the matter is; who here will have the Charger for over 120k miles? Lol
not me, but still, I want my baby at peak performance!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Given that point of view (which I am not knocking -- I just didn't anticipate) I think your other post was probably correct. If you plan to sell you car, let's say at 60k miles, and you don't really care what shape the engine is in at 70k -- I would think your initial view is correct -- all gas is the same, go with the cheapest. But I would extend that to the upper grades too. 89 and 91 octane gas is not better that 87 -- it just has higher octane levels -- which is of no value whatsoever if you don't have an engine that requires the less explosive mix.

Madison Ave. has tried to convince us that higher octane gas is better; it is not, it is just higher octane -- which means less explosive.

·
Registered
608 Posts
When I had my SXT I can count the time I put 89 in her with one hand I used 87 and never had a problem now with the R/T she gets 89 all the time. But I 89 in the SXT is a waste of money.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts