Charger Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. so I washed my car again this week, averaging at least once a week because of the warm weather and the dizzying amount of tar specks on the yellow paint. And those tar specs are starting to piss me off. I think I could dunk my car in the bug & tar spray and it would still take me 5 hours to get it all off.

Are claybar products more effective? It seems that I spray my current stuff on and it gets about 50% off and then I reaply and let it sit then it gets a bit more then reaply and so on.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I have never had a serious problem with tar, but I would think that the clay would help. Since it is phyically lifting the sediments from the surface it will probably do the trick. Mothers and Meguiar's make a kit. The Meguiar's one comes with two bars.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I've been using Simple Green on the bugs and tar before I do a wash. Spray it on and then wash it off as part of my normal soap wash. No extra hassle. It is working great for me. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Do any of the proposed solutions remove polish though? So, will you need to re-wax / re-polish the area again?

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Do any of the proposed solutions remove polish though? So, will you need to re-wax / re-polish the area again?
Anything that is capable of removing tar is also going to be a pretty effective way of stripping wax (which is what I'm sure you meant).

If you have persistent problems with tar, you really need to get your paint absolutely clean and then apply a sealant and potentially a coat of wax on TOP of the sealant. The idea is to give the tar very few pores to latch onto.

I've posted my polish/wax regimen a number of times. It seems to work for me. Tar just wipes off.

Best,

·
Registered
88 Posts
I use No. 7 Tar and Bug remover...it almost smells like gasoline a bit, but it is my favorite tar and bug remover. I swear by it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts