Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on swapping my stock sways on my RT with the Hotchkis at the end of the week but I'm getting some conflicting information on what it will do the to ride quality.
Some are telling me that it will ride really harsh and others are saying that it will ride the same just corner flat. Can someone please help me out? I don't want the car to ride like a tank.....

Thanks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sway bars will only affect the vehicle when cornering, in which the Hotchkis do a great job of improving. The spring and shocks are what would affect your ride quality (stiff or soft over bumps).

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm planning on swapping my stock sways on my RT with the Hotchkis at the end of the week but I'm getting some conflicting information on what it will do the to ride quality.
Some are telling me that it will ride really harsh and others are saying that it will ride the same just corner flat. Can someone please help me out? I don't want the car to ride like a tank.....

Thanks.
It also helps to reduce that nasty side to side bounce that these cars come with! Thats used to drive me nuts...until i put the sways and KWV2s on! I eliminated that altogether now!:) ...Oh...and also no corner roll to speak of. JUST MAKE SURE HOTCHKIS SENDS YOU THE PROPER BUSHINGS!!! I'm in the process of ripping my ride back apart to install the correct size bushings....THANKS HOTCHKIS!

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Sway bars will only affect the vehicle when cornering, in which the Hotchkis do a great job of improving. The spring and shocks are what would affect your ride quality (stiff or soft over bumps).

In a perfect world the sway bars would only have any effect if the road was perfectly smooth or if every bump was exactly timed to strike each tire at the exact same time. So if one tire is headed up because of a bump and the other isn't, then this will cause the sway bar to come under tension as if the body was rolling. Not much, but in some cases it can be noticeable.

It also helps to reduce that nasty side to side bounce that these cars come with! Thats used to drive me nuts...until i put the sways and KWV2s on!

You know, some weeks ago I complained of that very thing and got insulted with all sorts of Trans Am-related comments. :confused: Looks like I'll be investigating the Hotchkis setup. I'm not hot on modding my vehicles if they have any sort of sporty tendencies... it should be well engineered from the factory, in my opinion. Skid pad numbers don't mean a thing to me: I can throw my Daytona through sweeping onramps at stupid speeds and not break traction... sure it'll be "exciting" but it's not really the kind of excitement I'm looking for, especially if the road surface isn't perfect and 100% level all the way across the sweep.

I'll say it again: Chrysler has a lot of work to do when it comes to sorting out their "modern" suspension.

Based on what I'm reading, I'm thinking I should wait a bit to make sure Hotchkis can sort out their little glitches (re-greasing the bushings every year???).

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hotchkis sway bars were probably the best mod on mine so far. You do need to lube the urethane bushings once and a while the rear is simple with the grease fittings. The car corners so much better very little body roll i never noticed any harshness until l i installed my coil overs. The KW coil overs really stiffen up the suspension pretty harsh on rough roads but its worth it!

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
The whole greasing thing is a deal breaker. Not sure how the bushings would do when exposed to road salt and grime and snow... as it is, I hardly have time nowadays to work on my T/As, I'd go nuts having to also dig into the Charger every so often. Heck, I didn't even get around to one project at all on my '78, other than the lightening-the-rear-tires mod (through violent rubber removal from high torque :) ).

Based on some of the site searches I've done this evening, I'm understanding there is a Mopar Sway Bar kit... I wonder what kind of bushings that kit uses?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Perfect answer.

·
Registered
581 Posts
X2

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have had the Hotchkis sways and springs for 2 years and love them. 3rd car I have put them on. Handles fine in normal driving and prevents the sway around good cornering. This car is heavy so can not eliminate it all but huge difference. Well worth the investment

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I love my Hotchisk sway bars. Just make sure those bushings are greased. Hotchisk will send you the grease and right bushing ifyou do not have them. Great company.

D a n a

1 - 11 of 11 Posts