Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
'06 Charger R/T, bought used @ 28K miles, had it a few weeks now.

In the past week, it's developed intermittent steering and, I think, suspension noise.

Steering: SOMEtimes, (seems to be when at operating temp, not cold), I get a creak or groan in the steering & floorboards when turning the wheel left, but not right. This is at rest or in parking lots @ lot speeds, turning into a parking place, etc. It's something I feel more than hear...well, hear it in the cab, but I stood outside while my wife turned the wheel. She felt it/ heard it inside, I heard nothing outside. This comes and goes.

Suspension: I hear slight knocks, etc. going over bumps. I haven't owned the car long, so not sure how this should be normally. But I heard creaking in the front in a parking lot tonight, going over kind of rolling pavement. Got home, and pushed down and up on the front end...I could hear a slight creak in the front suspension. Not in the rear.

I have a bumper to bumper extended warranty (out of factory warranty by time) so I'll take it in anyways, but just curious if anyone else has had these symptoms...just because there seems to be a lot of suspension/steering rack issues posted where techs look and don't see anything wrong. I want to tip them off if anyone here has a lead on what the issues might be.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts

Steering: SOMEtimes, (seems to be when at operating temp, not cold), I get a creak or groan in the steering & floorboards when turning the wheel left, but not right. This is at rest or in parking lots @ lot speeds, turning into a parking place, etc. It's something I feel more than hear...well, hear it in the cab, but I stood outside while my wife turned the wheel. She felt it/ heard it inside, I heard nothing outside. This comes and goes.
I get the same sound like a squeak, turning left and right, its at low speeds when im parking or pulling out.

I also have an 06 R/T i got with 28k couple months back now at like 34.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get the same sound like a squeak, turning left and right, its at low speeds when im parking or pulling out.

I also have an 06 R/T i got with 28k couple months back now at like 34.
Did you take it in? Techs say anything?

The other reason I'm asking is in case anyone knows how serious it might/might not be. I'm looking for winter wheels/tires too, so if I can wait a week or two on this issue, I could take the winter rubber in and get them to mount those & fix this at the same time, one trip instead of two.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Did you take it in? Techs say anything?

The other reason I'm asking is in case anyone knows how serious it might/might not be. I'm looking for winter wheels/tires too, so if I can wait a week or two on this issue, I could take the winter rubber in and get them to mount those & fix this at the same time, one trip instead of two.
I havent taken it because it doesnt seem that bad but i havent told anyone, so hopefully someone who can come say something. Hopefully its not serious and an easy/cheap fix.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
You guys need to play your radio's louder.
That reminds me sometimes i put my radio down and i hear this clicking sound from the engine, its always there but i cant here while driving (engine sound hides the clicking)

Not sure what that can be but if anyone else has this or knows what it is.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I'll admit I'm OCD hyper about car issues. My hearing's too good...I hear car noises other people don't. Drives my wife crazy. :shrug03:
IM exactly the same way. I get soo used to hearing how my car usually sounds and looks. When i see or hear anything different it drives me crazy.:knockout:

·
Registered
620 Posts

In the past week, it's developed intermittent steering and, I think, suspension noise.

Suspension: I hear slight knocks, etc. going over bumps. I haven't owned the car long, so not sure how this should be normally. But I heard creaking in the front in a parking lot tonight, going over kind of rolling pavement. Got home, and pushed down and up on the front end...I could hear a slight creak in the front suspension. Not in the rear.

I have a bumper to bumper extended warranty (out of factory warranty by time) so I'll take it in anyways, but just curious if anyone else has had these symptoms...just because there seems to be a lot of suspension/steering rack issues posted where techs look and don't see anything wrong. I want to tip them off if anyone here has a lead on what the issues might be.

Thanks in advance.

I've had the same noise in the steering for some time now. It was intermittent the last time I had it in, and of course it wouldn't do it at the dealer. It's gotten worse and does it just about all the time now. The same symptoms...turning left, it's there. Turning right, nothing. I have to take it in for an oil change in a week or so. I'll post what they find.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've had the same noise in the steering for some time now. It was intermittent the last time I had it in, and of course it wouldn't do it at the dealer. It's gotten worse and does it just about all the time now. The same symptoms...turning left, it's there. Turning right, nothing. I have to take it in for an oil change in a week or so. I'll post what they find.
I have this kind of 'groaning' at certain points while turning the steering wheel at low speeds, very annoying, and getting louder. the dealer said it was nothing while it was under warranty, but it's continued to get louder. any ideas what this could be?

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
The suspension clunks/creaks going over bumps was fixed on my last vehicle by replacing the sway bar bushings. It was under warranty, the dealer refused to replace because they said they weren't worn (they were). I replaced them for ~$80 and solved the problem. Try spraying some silicone spray into the bushings on the front sway bar, see if this temporarily solves the clunk... that's how I narrowed my noise down to the cause.

·
Registered
181 Posts
F'in dealerships

I've had the same clunking noise at op temps and turning left only... f'in moron a the dealer said i was hearing a plastic bottle under my seat... f'in idiot... but my steering was also softer so I thought it was the sway bar bushings... (it was) dealer wouldn't replace them under warranty because they where still good... I blew a gasket when they gave me a 75$ bill for finding a plastic bottle under my seat... and all of a sudden, they found something to repair... and guess what, it was the sway bar bushings.

No more clunk and steering nice and firm... insist, especially if you have a 3000$ extended warranty!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I DO have an extended warranty...thankfully not $3000. I'm going to have them check the sway bar bushings when I go in to have the winter tires mounted in the next month or so.
Anybody have the groan in the steering turning left issue, and find out the cause of that?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a similar issue. Mine sounds kind of like a duck though. It isn't constant and only happens when I turn the wheel at slow speeds or parked. When you turn it, there is no sound then duck then no sound then duck and then its as far as you can turn it. You CANNOT hear this from outside and it sounds like it is coming from the steering column. I am taking mine to the dealer today to find out what is wrong while it is under warranty. I will post what they find if anything.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a similar issue. Mine sounds kind of like a duck though. It isn't constant and only happens when I turn the wheel at slow speeds or parked. When you turn it, there is no sound then duck then no sound then duck and then its as far as you can turn it. You CANNOT hear this from outside and it sounds like it is coming from the steering column. I am taking mine to the dealer today to find out what is wrong while it is under warranty. I will post what they find if anything.
Boy, that sounds EXACTLY like what mine was. Definitely post back here if they find anything!

Since the weather has turned colder up here (highs in the 40s), I haven't heard it in a couple of weeks now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
yeah i will let you know as soon as I find out something. I get off work at 2:30pm EST so I will have it in the shop by around 3 and will be on here posting whatever is wrong asap. Good to know I am not the only 1 having the damn duck sound haha. I tell everyone and they are like.."a duck huh?" lol

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I have this kind of 'groaning' at certain points while turning the steering wheel at low speeds, very annoying, and getting louder. the dealer said it was nothing while it was under warranty, but it's continued to get louder. any ideas what this could be?
I know your problem,I had the same thing on my 06 SXT when it was new.There is a TSB for this.The TSB#1900206,date of bulletin-Feb,16-06.Your dealer should have known about this.I think they had to replace my steering hoses and bracket.Problem gone.Good luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
***UPDATE***

I took it to the dealer and purchased a longer warranty haha. Anyways, the guy sat in the car and turned the steering wheel to hear the noise. He said it could be a rubber piece that is rubbing against the firewall, or possible a bearing that needs lubed. I have to take it back on Friday morning at 7:45 and they are going to look at it and get it fixed. So if you don't take yours in by then, I will let you know the outcome.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Okay so I took my car into the dealer Friday. Found out that the thing I was hearing was just a bearing that needed lubed. Not a big deal and didn't cost a penny :) I am glad it wasn't anything serious. I have driven the car about 100 miles since friday and not 1 problem. Just wanted to report what I found out :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts