Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I have a 2009 Dodge Charger RWD 69K miles - Currently living in Northern NY- AKA pot holes the size of Connecticut central. I am having a front end suspension noise that is driving me to the point where I am about to drive this thing off a bridge....I mean...continue trying to fix it. fml lol.
Well... So far I have replaced ON BOTH SIDES:
-Sway bar bushings
-Sway bar end links
-Front lower rearward control arm
-Front lower front control arm (Dodge calls it a tension strut - ball joint/bushing bar)
-lower ball joint (That the lower rearward control arm sits on)
-New breaks and rotors
-Had an alignment done
Yet STILL everytime I go over a bump or hit a pot hole - it sounds as if my front end is going to fall off. It is a LOUD rattling noise that I have had multiple mechanics swear on their careers that it is sway bar end links, a control arm bushing or ball joint.... however.... they are all brand new and that cant be. Bounce test - push it down - it bounces up and then only a what I would say to be like a quarter bounce back down before it is still. Before I go replacing the shock absorbers - has anyone had this issue before?

ALSO - my husband was driving my car on the highway when the back tire blew out. He knows nothing about cars and I was 150 miles away. He had it towed to a shop - they said that the tire pressure sensor corroded and blew out. WTF!? Ive never heard of this happening. The shop just stuck a regular valve stem on a new tire just until I could get a service kit to rebuild the sensor stem...however... Im actually just debating on putting regular valve stems in the other 3 tires and pull the fuse for the damn sensor. Im not too lazy to take a walk around the car every day to check and see if my tires need air. Anyone have any input on this?

AND last but not least - My throttle control light came on last week. I pulled into a parking lot - cycled the car. It was off when I restarted it. But, while I was in traffic - I could feel really slight jumping - like the car was wanting to jump forward. My RPMs weren't going crazy and it only lasted about 45 seconds. 3 days later, it happened again. At the amount of miles that are on my car - should I probably take a part the throttle body and give it a good cleaning? I checked everything out already and not seeing any cracks in the plastics of the inake or anything with any of the sensor connectors. Please give me advice. With all these issues - the guys at NAPA love when I come to visit lol. GAH!
Thank you much :x

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
First, welcome to the Forum!

As far as the front end goes, check out this thread...it might help.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151800&highlight=front+end+clunk+first

For the TPMS corroding, yep it happens. I had one of mine come apart when getting new tires installed last year. It shot the valve core across the shop and deflated the tire in a split second. 3 out of 4 were badly corroded. I replaced them all.

For the TC light, you may need to clean the throttle body. They are known to build up dirt and oil film and cause a TC light and rough running. You also want to pull the codes since the code it threw when the light came on is still in there even after the light goes out. It will give a better idea of the likely source of the fault.

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
And if that other thread doesn't solve your problem, it sounds like it COULD be brake pad rattle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi! Thank you so much for that link. I will check it out. I actually had the throttle control light came on again today and had it coded - it was a P2181 - cooling system. I checked EVERYTHING. Fluid it full, sensor connection looks good. What else should I look for? I noticed that when the throttle control light came on, the hot-cold gauge went straight to cold - as if it died. I pulled the car over, cycled it off and back on and the light was off. When I started driving again, the temp gauge went right back to normal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also in regards to the rattling - its so strong of a rattle that it ligit sounds the suspension parts are bad and all at once lol. I can actually feel the rattling in my brake pedal if I'm breaking at the same time. Im honestly just thinking about changing out the struts. What is the likelihood of just the shock absorbers being bad though? I ask because my springs look great as do my strut mounts.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Also in regards to the rattling - its so strong of a rattle that it ligit sounds the suspension parts are bad and all at once lol. I can actually feel the rattling in my brake pedal if I'm breaking at the same time. Im honestly just thinking about changing out the struts. What is the likelihood of just the shock absorbers being bad though? I ask because my springs look great as do my strut mounts.
Probably not this but I had a nagging front end noise on my 300m and it turned out to be part of the ground effect was hanging down and would scrape whenever the car hit a big bump or went over a speed bump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts