Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's coming from the front right, and everytime you go over bumps, potholes, any blemishes in the road that will cause the suspension to move up and down, and turn the wheel left and right in a body roll motion, it creaks. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Known issue...

Worn out parts. Warranty issue.

·
Registered
531 Posts
could be a bad ball joint.

with the car not moving, turning the wheel back and forth you get an old house door hinge kind of noise, it also does it when the suspension moves up and down.

It would need to be checked out further to verify it's not something else, but that is the most likely source.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
It's coming from the front right, and everytime you go over bumps, potholes, any blemishes in the road that will cause the suspension to move up and down, and turn the wheel left and right in a body roll motion, it creaks. Any ideas?
Sounds like the same symptoms I have. I took it into the dealer to look at Monday and they said I needed a new control arm. Going back Thursday to get it replaced. Mine was also the front right and it's covered by the warranty.

·
Registered
531 Posts
sounds about right, the dealer may not service the ball joint separately, most times they replace the entire control arm under warranty.

Similarly they replace entire rack and pinion assemblies on Caravans when the inner tie rods go bad, instead of just replacing the tie rod end. go figure.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
could be a bad ball joint.

with the car not moving, turning the wheel back and forth you get an old house door hinge kind of noise, it also does it when the suspension moves up and down.

It would need to be checked out further to verify it's not something else, but that is the most likely source.
Yep, that's what it sounded like when I turned the wheel, especially when backing up at the same time. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool. Thanks for the responses. I also have a transmission leak, so I'll have them check everything out when it's there.

·
Registered
229 Posts
HAHA. I just started having this noise problem myself. I was thinking it was the bushings on the sway bars but i am going to take it in next week and have them check it out. Just happens when i go over bumps or dips, drives me crazy!!! HAHAH

·
Registered
531 Posts
If it's only doing it over bumps it's more likely your sway bar bushings, The Hotchkis bushings have been upgraded i believe, They were not designed to be strong enough due to the amount of roll that the LX has, You may have the old bushings on your car. (Hotchkis was a bit vague on this when i called them, but it may have just been the person that i talked to)

·
Registered
743 Posts
The Hotchkis bushings have been upgraded i believe,
I had the early Hotckis and creaking. I called and they sent me the fix... Same bushings, more lube and 8 washers to space out the bracket.
Seems to have worked.
The new kits come with the 8 washers I believe.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll let you guys know how it goes tomorrow after I take it in.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sounds like a common issue, cuz guess what.....I just started experiencing this too! :D
Time to visit my local dealership, DOH!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have the same problem, and my springs, struts, upper control arms, and soon to be sway bars are all aftermarket. So a trip to the dealer for me is out, if anybody can diagnose this, that would be great to help narrow it down. Right now I think I am going to start going after a new upper ball-joint.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have basically the same problem, except my noise is more noticable while changing direction. . . for example getting ready back in to my drive way or a parking spot.

The dealer has gone over the front suspension & brakes and couldn't find a problem. Then they stopped returning my calls (I was calling once a week to find out if they had figured anything out or how they were going to fix the problem).

Could this be the ball joint too?

[EDIT] I've already checked the tie rod ends myself and they're still (knock on wood) good.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just got my srt-8 from the dealer last Thursday, I kinda noticed that there's a louder than normal thump when I go over a small pot hole or an uneven surface, the car has 9000 miles on it, is this the same issue or is this normal as it doesn't do it any other time? just curious if I'm overreacting or if I should take it to the dealer as I just got it, I don't have the dealer warranty but it still has the 36mo./36k warranty that comes with the car, this should cover it right?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I took mine in to Worthington Dodge in Carlsbad for the noise to see if they could find what the problem is. I dropped it off at 7:00am,at 3:30 they called and said, you have aftermarket suspension on so we can not do anything for you since it voids your warrenty. They would not even just look to see what it was. I have Hotchkis springs and sways. I was like you can't even look and just tell me??? They were asses. I called a friend who knows a dealer and they said bring it on in. If it is a factory part going bad they will fix or replace. If it is a Hotchkis part they will atleast tell me what it is. That is all I wanted the first time. Can you say Good bye to Worthington Dodge.:dead:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts