Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wake up this morning, sleepy eyed, I walk out into the living room and look out my front windows per my usual routine. What do I see staring back at me instead of my usual neighborhood? A magnificent surprise!!!

You see, this was very unexpected since I ordered the hood from a local shop the day before yesterday. They had it shipped to me direct from the factory and I was not expecting it until next week.

So, I opened everything up, and here it is!!

and....

and without the padding....

Ok, I have to ask for help now. I need to paint this badboy. Anyone who has any first hand knowledge. I spoke to a painter, who told me that he would paint the hood and blend it with my fender's for $750.00. This is supposed to be a deal, he tells me he would normally charge $1000.00.

Now, I have checked around much since I have an "in" with this painter. However, I do not want to blend the hood with my fenders in case I want to go back to my original hood. My thoughts are, if the hood fits bad, starts warping, cracks or whatever, I can always fall back on my original hood. I wanted to just paint the new hood, knowing that it will not match PERFECTLY, but I still expect it to match decently. Am I crazy in thinking this. The painter basically told me that it wont look that great if I dont blend it. Has anyone painted their hood without blending with the fenders and liked the outcome?

One last question, I know I need to buy the SRT8 grille for the hoodscoop, what other OEM Mopar items should/do I need to pick up to go with this hood?

Thanks all for any help you can provide

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
I would think that using the paint code he could paint it and it should match ... the car's not old enough for the paint to have faded that much as to look different ...

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
708 Posts
First of all, Congrats, I'm jealous.

Second, taking off the stock hood and stashing it away for un undetermined (don't know if that's a real word, but humor me) amount of time may mean that if and when the time comes that you fall back on that hood, there may be a slight fading in the fenders and your stock hood won't match perfectly. I would just have them color code it and not even worry about it - it's gonna look HOT!!

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
that sounds about right [$750] you have to remember that there is a butt load of prep work to get that hood ready for paint and he has to sand it and fix any small problems or waves in it-PLUS- you have to lay down a special primer first and block sand it and that takes time and money. the primer has to have a flex agent in it and so does the base coat or it wont hold up in the heat of the summer or the fiber glass can give off fumes from under the paint and lift it in the summer heat. IF the hood was just made with in the last couple of weeks i would un wrap it and sit it in the sun for a day or to so it can start to release all of the chemicals from the fiber glass.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
if he doesnt have to bo any body work on it and it fits perfect and lines up he will put about a day to prep it and shoot the bottom-then another day to line it up and prep the car and maybe shoot the color. then shoot the clear plus wet sand and buff. clean the car up and give it back to you. at least 4 days and 25 hours of his time. $750 in fair for a high quality job.

·
Registered
416 Posts
$750 is too much.
You should pay between $400 and $600 the most.
I paid $450 to have the same hood done with installation.
No blending needed.
I got 4 quotes and the highest was $630.
I used the guy that I always use but I was curious what other body shops would charge me.
Came out great.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46459

Besides the insert you do not need to buy anything.

Well.........maybe some decals.:D
Good luck and post some pics.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i look at bodywork like i do eye surgery. I don't want the cheapest, I want the best. just my opinion.

·
Registered
609 Posts
$750 is too much.
You should pay between $400 and $600 the most.
I paid $450 to have the same hood done with installation.
No blending needed.
I got 4 quotes and the highest was $630.
I used the guy that I always use but I was curious what other body shops would charge me.

I can tell you that $450 is not realistic. Although you may find a "newbie" that will give you a initial low price, my bet is that once they do this first one the price will never be that low again. Epoxy Primers, Basecoats, Clears and Hardners would cost at least $300 to begin with not to mention labor. Now that I've actually done a few of these Trufiber hoods I can tell you your looking at $750 for the type of work my shop would put out. Thats for a single color no blending. Although these hoods are nice for the price, they are not free from small defects and waves that are inherent in all hoods made of this material. We are doing a hood right now so I'll post up some photos of the process so you guys can see whats involved.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
thats what i was saying!! thank you for backing me up. being in the bizz you know like I do what it really takes to make it look right and factory. EVEN $750 IS a low ball price. the body man could in the end spend as much as 30 hours on it and with the gas price's these days the cost of paint and primers/clear's have shot threw the roof. if it's a flat color like torra/yellow/lime it's not that hard but if you have the inferno or the silver or black pearl thats work to blend.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Sorry.
I still have to disagree.(And I'm leaving it at that - my last .02 cents)

The body shop that does all my work is very reputable and it would be a same price for other people.He did say the price depends on the condition of the hood and amount of prep.He does quite a bit and told me that the trufiber that I gave him was one of the best he has seen.(Not sure if that's true for all of those hoods or I just happen to get a good one).

While my car was being done there was a 80k cadillac and a Bentley next to my car being worked on .The guy and his son race on the NHRA circuit as well.I would not consider him a newbie.

So it is possible to get a quality work done for under $600.
Ask around for a good reputable shop.
Most Audio/Stereo shops deal with auto body shops - ask them to recommend someone.

·
Registered
609 Posts
My point is and was, since there is alot of younger Charger owners on this site that telling them $750 is unreasonable to expect to pay for taking a TruFiber hood from bare gelcoat to finish paint. Sure I'm sure you can find a shop that will quote a lower price, but I feel the perception that many will take away from this conversation is that anyone charging $700 and up is just ripping them off, and thats just wrong. I've been in business for over 20 years as a collision shop here in Jersey. I know my cost of materials and how much labor it takes to produce a quality product. I am in business to make a profit. The cars that I have done for my clients have won many first place trophies, so my work is first rate. I just don't want guys to think that paying anymore then 4 or 5 hundred dollars means they're getting ripped off. My advice is to find a shop that can show you the cars they have done for their clients and maybe see they work first hand. In the end paying a little more to get a quality job should be what its all about.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
HE'S RIGHT 100%-YOU CAN USE THE BEST PAINT AND YOUR PAINTER CAN BE TOP NOTCH. HE CAN LAY DOWN THE PAINT AND WET SAND THE H3LL OUT OF IT AND MAKE IT LOOK SHOW QUALITY. BUT IF THEY CUT ANY CORNERS IN THE PREP WORK BY CUTTING MATERIAL COST you will see it as soon as your hood sit's in the summer sun for a few weeks. fiber glass is not the same as painting sheet metal. thats my 2 cents ANOTHER THING IS THAT THE CAR THIS IS GOING ON IS SILVER I BELIEVE-SO- THAT MEANS THAT THE FENDERS ARE GOING TO HAVE TO BE BLENDED IN OR YOU WILL SEE A COLOR SHIFT IN THE PAINT FOR SURE.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Wow...............

I got a tag team after me.......

I think I hit a sore spot.

Choices....Choices......Choices.....

Q.T.I.P.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts