Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentleman,
I love my Silver SRT8 Charger (CAT back, CAI, Jet II) but I am stuck on a need for a 500 HP car (I need a back seat for the family so a two seater is out). The Ford dealer has a GT 500 for sale but I would rather find a way to get my Charger HP safely up. Many positngs about how the GSM or any other Supercharger will not work well or blow up on our engines but I would like to hear from the guys who have installed a SC and how it is working over the long run??

Thanks for the help!!
Tim

Charger SRT8
63' Red Corvette
67' GTO HO HT White
Sienna minivan!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was going to buy a GT500 before i got my SRT8 300 but NO ONE and I mean no one would come off of the extra 10-15K markup they are trying to gouge on those cars....simply put the GT 500 is not worth the extra money just for the Shelby name. I was a big FORD guy before this and I still have my 03 Cobra traded my 04 Lightning in on the 300 and never looked back. I just have a very big problem with paying dealer gouge prices, and I hope that anyone that thinks their going to get their money back out of that POS car gets burned in the long run. I just cant believe people are paying that extra money for the GT500 your not getting that much in performance. Hell my 03 cobra runs 12.8 with no mods other than CAI and its not even breathing hard. The GT500 is not doing any better than that and with a few K of mods i can be in low low 12's...sorry for the rant but I just get pissed with the price gouge thing. If they were still gouging when i bought my srt8 300 I wouldnt of done it then either...I got mine for more than 12K off of sticker and that was bran new!

Jaybo

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I would keep the Charger. You can mod up to 500 hp and still have 4 doors. I will have to agree on the GT500 prices also.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you want to go fast you should buy the GT500 period. As long asyou can buy it with out the dealer mark-up.
If you want four seats and more room keep the Charger.
The Charger can never compete with a modded GT500 in the go fast department.
Add a smaller pulley and tune mods and you are at 585RWHP in the GT500.
That is a ten second car....
Slap on a Kenne Bell Stage II kit and you will be at about 775 RWHP.
That is a nine second car....

·
Registered
90 Posts
I was just reading up on the GT500 and I must say its very impressive hands down and modded..Just Impressive.
I heard GSM is really close to working out the kinks in there system and if thats true...Ohhhh sh*t, I say keep the Charger its 4 doors and in my opinion loooksss wayyy better:grin:

·
Registered
149 Posts
keep charger!

·
Registered
731 Posts
but I am stuck on a need for a 500 HP car
Why such a need?
You already have a 425 + HP car and room for your family.

Ever tried getting a baby seat in and out of a stang? It's isn't the most fun. The charg is a piece of cake to do that.

Where are you going to use the 500+ horsepower? Going to work everyday?
Carrying small children in that?

Honestly....sounds to me like you have an itch for a new car instead, which is no problem. Many go through that. I used to have/do that as well until I got this car. I think I'm settled now for quite some time. My only dillema was that I liked the 300 SRT-8 as well and am wondering at times if I should have gotten that instead. No regrets though, thus far.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i dont know much about the mustang.. but if you're looking for more "safe" horse power in the charger, i'd recommend a cam before a super charger... nice cam and a diablo w/ a custom tune should make a big difference

·
Registered
211 Posts
Go with a 426 stroker in the Charger done the right way and you will get close to 500 rwhp. I was really hoping to get a GT500 too when they first came out but two things really made me think:
First, the price gouging was ridiculous and continues to be!! As stated above, paying 15k to 20k more for the Shelby name for the car constituted as it is, is a bit off. (see last comment below on Shelby legacy)
Secondly, maybe I am anal but a 500 horspeower car should perform better than the previous 390 hp model car (03/04 Cobra) and a 400 hp car (Corvette) WITHOUT having to modify the car. You hear the argument that "Well if you change the pulley or change the blower on the GT500, then..." which is all well and good but for you to HAVE to modify a 500 hp car to just get it to perform on par with it's fellow 500 hp rivals is unfathomable to me. Now I know that whether to mod or not is personal preference but I find it a bit pathetic that a stock GT500 can't even beat the stock Z51 Vette, let alone sniff a Z06's tailpipes. Last I checked, you don't HAVE to mod a Z06 to compete with a Viper do you?? Or for that matter, you don't have to mod a Z06 to compete against cars that cost two to three times as much. Granted you have a four seat car competing against a two seat car but do you buy a Shelby GT500 to take the family out or buy it to ride around knowing that your 500 hp sports car should be able to kick some serious ass? Besides, if you can fit a guy over six feet in back of any Mustang comfortably without him having to sit sideways, I am the President of the United States...The Shelby GT500 would have been one hell of a car if it was 400-600 pounds lighter than what it is and a naturally aspirated 500 hp; then you would have a car truer to the Shelby legacy and what Shelby Mustangs used to be.
I will put my flame suit on now.....

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
The GT500 is overpriced and overrated.

The 03 Cobra was nearly as fast, $20k cheaper, and had much better handling. The GT500 has a very heavy engine out front which actually makes it handle worse than the Mustang GT.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/11151/2007-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500.html

Because Ford with the 5.4 which has a long stroke and less than impressive nautrally aspirated power, they had to add the blower on to get it to compete.

If you don't need rear seats go with a Corvette. If you do, follow the path of 1bad4dr and get into the 11s with your Charger.

Certainly don't pay over sticker.

The supercharged 5.4-liter V-8 under the hood is fundamentally a 4.6 on steroids (15mm-longer stroke, iron block instead of aluminum, four-valve heads instead of three, and, of course, the Eaton R122 Roots-type blower),

Photographer John Kiewicz, an accomplished drag racer, slides behind the wheel to peel out a few standing-mile runs. His best nails 60 mph in 4.4 seconds and 100 mph in 9.8, the quarter mile in 12.7 seconds at 116 mph, and the standing mile in 33.2 at 150.2.

The live rear axle betrays its presence with the occasional sidestep over mid-corner bumps, but the GT500 just shrugs and settles back on line with minimal correction through the steering

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Go with a 426 stroker in the Charger done the right way and you will get close to 500 rwhp. I was really hoping to get a GT500 too when they first came out but two things really made me think:
First, the price gouging was ridiculous and continues to be!! As stated above, paying 15k to 20k more for the Shelby name for the car constituted as it is, is a bit off. (see last comment below on Shelby legacy)
Secondly, maybe I am anal but a 500 horspeower car should perform better than the previous 390 hp model car (03/04 Cobra) and a 400 hp car (Corvette) WITHOUT having to modify the car. You hear the argument that "Well if you change the pulley or change the blower on the GT500, then..." which is all well and good but for you to HAVE to modify a 500 hp car to just get it to perform on par with it's fellow 500 hp rivals is unfathomable to me. Now I know that whether to mod or not is personal preference but I find it a bit pathetic that a stock GT500 can't even beat the stock Z51 Vette, let alone sniff a Z06's tailpipes. Last I checked, you don't HAVE to mod a Z06 to compete with a Viper do you?? Or for that matter, you don't have to mod a Z06 to compete against cars that cost two to three times as much. Granted you have a four seat car competing against a two seat car but do you buy a Shelby GT500 to take the family out or buy it to ride around knowing that your 500 hp sports car should be able to kick some serious ass? Besides, if you can fit a guy over six feet in back of any Mustang comfortably without him having to sit sideways, I am the President of the United States...The Shelby GT500 would have been one hell of a car if it was 400-600 pounds lighter than what it is and a naturally aspirated 500 hp; then you would have a car truer to the Shelby legacy and what Shelby Mustangs used to be.
I will put my flame suit on now.....
You just said it much better than I did.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hallelujah! I am going to sell the Charger to a friend a year from now and pick up a Z06 since I am getting a company car. And lucky me the following year's company car will be a Charger!

As for the situation you have, I would sell the 03 Cobra and get the GT500, then keep your Charger for the fam. You prob wont touch it after you pick up a GT500. Check out the video on YouTube of Red GT500 crashed by little boy. Little boy crashes it through family's garage while dad films. And then hope yours will never do that.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Cool. I know that we will get some responses that "I saw a bone stock GT500 run 12.2 at the track..." but the fact of the matter is that they run consistent 12.7-13.1 at the track. What kills me is that Ford has a 5.4 naturally aspirated motor used in Australia for the Falcon that makes 389 hp and I'm sure could make more power than that with some re-engineering on Ford's part. Hell, GM took the LS2 motor, tweaked it, re-named it the LS3 and picked up over 25 hp. Ford is asleep at the wheel when it comes to performance cars and engines today....

·
Registered
414 Posts
The GT500 is overpriced and overrated. X2

For starters take a look at the typical Ford cheap-out they pulled on the rear brakes!! Brembos on the front and GT brakes on the rear??!! Pathetic for a supposed $85k car up here in Canada!
The car stock runs a hair quicker (2 tenths) than my lightly modded SRT8 here, and costs 30k more with far less options?? WTF!

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
After reading the car and driver article I dont believe the GT500 is worth it. Heck it would barely beat a STOCK SRT8.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
it would have made better sense to forge the 4.6 and put a bigger blower on it. A forged 4.6 can get way over 500 and would still be business viable to warranty. Saleen puts 550 bhp in a 4.6 with a 3/36 so why not Ford for the GT500. It would improve handling and drop the weight 300 lbs.:smoke:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I will be getting my new srt8 tomorrow and I was wanting a GT500 or corvette but wasn't paying the rediculous price for the GT 500 and wasn't crazy about the corvette being a 2 seater. I previously had a 2000 Mustang GT with 510 rwhp and was wanting something to play with again. They only had a R/T to test drive and I liked it. So i'm sure the SRT8 won't dissappoint.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I will be getting my new srt8 tomorrow and I was wanting a GT500 or corvette but wasn't paying the rediculous price for the GT 500 and wasn't crazy about the corvette being a 2 seater. I previously had a 2000 Mustang GT with 510 rwhp and was wanting something to play with again. They only had a R/T to test drive and I liked it. So i'm sure the SRT8 won't dissappoint.
Good move, you'll love the SRT - optimal power, comfort, handling, price.

Isn't the GT500 a 2 seater also? All I could ever fit in the back of my mustang was a backpack. Any full sized adults just politely said 'uh, I'll take my car and meet ya there' :lol: .

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Cool. I know that we will get some responses that "I saw a bone stock GT500 run 12.2 at the track..." but the fact of the matter is that they run consistent 12.7-13.1 at the track. What kills me is that Ford has a 5.4 naturally aspirated motor used in Australia for the Falcon that makes 389 hp and I'm sure could make more power than that with some re-engineering on Ford's part. Hell, GM took the LS2 motor, tweaked it, re-named it the LS3 and picked up over 25 hp. Ford is asleep at the wheel when it comes to performance cars and engines today....
Agreed

Then they could use an aluminum block since it would be naturally aspirated and they would save a lot of weight off the front wheels - probably close to 200 pounds for the block and blower assembly. That would greatly improve handling and braking.

The problem is Ford designed that motor with undersized bore centers. That limits the displacement they can get out of that block even with that long stroke.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts