Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Frosty. I've just gone from an '05 Ram 3500 Ram SLT Quadcab 4x4 CTD monster truck to an 06 Dodge Charger R/T.

I apologise in advance as I'm sure this topic has been covered in detail prior to my arrival, but I must ask, this is why I came here.

I am wondering if anyone can tell me what options there are as far as turboing or supercharging this vehicle. If someone does know of any options, I wonder if you could also tell me what other upgrades you think this vehicle requires after doing such a mod.

I'm also considering removing the factory 20s and going with some old school 15 inch Centerlines and some meaty tires, to give this car a unique "wells stuffed full" muscle car look, as opposed to the standard touring street scene oversized wheels look. Has anyone done this or have you all just seen big wheeled Chargers? I plan on mostly racing ricers from light to light, doing hard launches, so 20s don't really suit my purposes. Thanks in advance for your time,

With Respect,
Frosty

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
there are a couple cases of forced induction on our vehicles. the problem has been with the internals of our engine. they dont seem to take too kindly to big blowers. there has been more than 1 blown engine thus far.

i wish i could give you more details but im not all too familiar with FI myself. at least as far as what it takes to make it good on a daily driver as far as our chargers go. id love to be educated

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I am not too versed on this topic myself, but I have read about the results fairly extensively. Basically, our cars do not take well to forced induction of any kind just yet because no one has figured out a good way to distribute air and fuel mixtures evenly across the board. There are a few choices out there as far as superchargers go.... GSMotorsports, ASM, and Magnacharger/Procharger have each developed their own system, but to my knowledge, few or almost no people have had success with an efficient running system on their cars. However, Creative Inductions Systems (CIS) has developed a turbo kit that is "supposed" to work well on the 5.7. Results are yet to be seen with real customers (again, as far as I know), but so far I hear good things, but they are still working a few kinks out and the Predator is supposed to help out greatly with some necessary tuning issues. I don't think the SRTs are having the same problems due to a different engine construction, but again, I can't confirm that and it is irrelevant to your situation anyways. Supercharger kits seem to run between 5,500 and 7,500, and the turbo kit seems to run about 6,000-8,000, all depending on options for all the bells and whistles.

Most people recommend extensive engine modification before starting this, such as heads, cam, block work, etc. etc. etc. There are a ton of things you can do before starting this and you might have better luck. But as far as I'm concerned, forced induction on an otherwise stock 5.7 has been unsuccessful thus far, and that's a real shame! It's definitely something I would consider as well once the warranty's up.... Hope this helped some!

-Pat

·
Registered
206 Posts
I highly doubt 15" rims will fit with the big brakes.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would wait for a production turbo kit as opposed to an available supercharger for our engines.

·
Registered
56 Posts
For some reason, I thought I ran across a kit made by a German company called STS, or SPS that runs a twin turbo for the SRT8. I just can't remember the specifics, but I saw it on some european car show. I am not sure if its available here or not. My concerns are echoed by those in this thread: Too many unknowns, as well as a few "knowns" that have kept me away from FI at the moment. But I am still waiting for ATI's Procharger unit to be released once the programming bugs are worked out. I think for now, I will probably do cams and get my jollies from the additional 35 to 40 rwhp gain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you

Thanks for these in depth responses. A good point red, I had not thought of that. :confused: What are our discs, 17"?

So I guess this Hemi has a bunch of mystery stuff.. seems like not that many people are familiar with it.

So to really narrow this down.. what in your opinion would be the best top three upgrades for an 06 stock Hemi Charger R/T?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
its not that people arent familiar with the hemi.

its just the way the engine is built now, they sacrafice quality to make them cheaper and the pistons and the internals are plenty good on a stock car.but when you start blowin em, they cant handle it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for these in depth responses. A good point red, I had not thought of that. :confused: What are our discs, 17"?

So I guess this Hemi has a bunch of mystery stuff.. seems like not that many people are familiar with it.

So to really narrow this down.. what in your opinion would be the best top three upgrades for an 06 stock Hemi Charger R/T?
Well, if you're looking to make BIG power, everyone here seems to start by making their engines breath better.... CAI, cat-back, headers... just to start. After that you should check out a predator tuner, that will allow you to throw on a custom cam and some new heads, a new TC, etc, etc... Depending on your setup, you could be leaving stock SRT8s in the dust for less than $5k worth of parts. Plus with all those parts, you'll have a better foundation for FI in the future when they work all the kinks out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had a R/T and wanted to supercharge it. after alot of research and help from this board, I realized that the jump to the SRT8 is the best way to go. A supercharger should hit you up beween 6-8k. Than you may need multiple upgrades with intake, tranny etc... just to handle the power. Plus, there is yet to be a sure fire set up that seems totally reliable.

After all the investment, you could easily wind up with the srt8.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts