Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 SXT charger. It's got a 3.6l v6 in it, I was wondering if itd be possible to supercharge it. Any info/help is appreciated

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Hell yeah, you can!!!!!

How much of a beating are you going to take, to trade in a 2014? Probably close to the same amount as supercharging it. A supercharger will very likely give you more than the 70 hp increase you'd get by trading it in for a new 5.7L too.

I don't think buying a new car is necessarily best the option. It's certainly the easiest, but depending on your car and the loan (if there is one) associated with it, FI may be the better option.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The cost of boosting a motor is proportional to the amount of power he's looking to gain.

Base on my past experience I would rather have a larger NA motor then a smaller boosted. While you can get the power out of that motor, it comes at a cost. Reliability, financial, re-sale etc. Modified cars don't typically do as well as the factory optioned cars. If you beat on the car you open yourself up to a bad build + beating = new motor.

Don't get me wrong, that 3.6 can likely be worked to get 400+ HP if he wanted to. But 15-20K would get him closer to a SRT which has things like - the tranny to hold the power, an LSD, and bigger brakes. To really push the motor to you might opt to pull it and upgrade internals. That's a lot of work for something that is available from Doge off the shelf.

I don't mean to discourage you OP but modified cars are work. If you cannot wrench yourself you end up paying someone to do it. Will you get into logging? Winter and summer maps? Will you forge internals? Do you know when you need to go forge internals (IE a mild boost not required)? Very few custom builds will be as reliable as the one the factory put together. Simply because they spent more time designing the systems.

Then there is the sad reality that an aggressive built often doesn't last. Your rings wear out, or you have a lot of blow buy consuming oil. So you're constantly checking levels, concerned you might damage the motor. Or it doesn't run really well in the cold, so you're babying it until it warms up. Forged pistons can have slap went cold, so you have small oil burn and a diesel sounding motor. These are all things to be aware of.

If this is your regular daily driver be careful.

·
Registered
859 Posts
^ Very useful information, not just for the OP and his 3.6L but for anyone considering supercharging. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The cost of boosting a motor is proportional to the amount of power he's looking to gain.

Base on my past experience I would rather have a larger NA motor then a smaller boosted. While you can get the power out of that motor, it comes at a cost. Reliability, financial, re-sale etc. Modified cars don't typically do as well as the factory optioned cars. If you beat on the car you open yourself up to a bad build + beating = new motor.

Don't get me wrong, that 3.6 can likely be worked to get 400+ HP if he wanted to. But 15-20K would get him closer to a SRT which has things like - the tranny to hold the power, an LSD, and bigger brakes. To really push the motor to you might opt to pull it and upgrade internals. That's a lot of work for something that is available from Doge off the shelf.

I don't mean to discourage you OP but modified cars are work. If you cannot wrench yourself you end up paying someone to do it. Will you get into logging? Winter and summer maps? Will you forge internals? Do you know when you need to go forge internals (IE a mild boost not required)? Very few custom builds will be as reliable as the one the factory put together. Simply because they spent more time designing the systems.

Then there is the sad reality that an aggressive built often doesn't last. Your rings wear out, or you have a lot of blow buy consuming oil. So you're constantly checking levels, concerned you might damage the motor. Or it doesn't run really well in the cold, so you're babying it until it warms up. Forged pistons can have slap went cold, so you have small oil burn and a diesel sounding motor. These are all things to be aware of.

If this is your regular daily driver be careful.
This should be etched into stone somewhere.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
In the modern world of FI, reliability isn't the issue it once was nor is it the massive amount of work some folks believe it is to have a reliable SC engine.

Read this...

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106590&highlight=vortech

"It's hard to believe it has been almost 5 years since we installed this blower on SRT8U! While supercharging Hemi's is a common occurrence today, at that time the consensus was that Supercharging a modern Hemi would always result in a blown engine if using the oem shortblock. A lot of folks also said that running a canned tune would be a recipe for disaster as well. One of the reasons we did this install and subsequent long term documentation was to prove or disprove many of the common perceptions about supercharging a daily street driven vehicle. We wanted to use this car as a majority of our customers would. street driven, short drives, long cross country drives, track days, road course runs etc. Here we are over 55,000 miles and almost 5 years later and the car still runs strong, still has the stock engine and the same canned tune it always has had. She is still a joy to drive, and the feeling of boost never gets old. The industry has come a long way since 2008 and there are lots of great choices of Superchargers available today, you can safely add power to your Hemi, keep it street able, have fun at the track and also have a nice long life for your car as well. It really is enjoyable to have a modded car that you can enjoy but also is ultra reliable as well, I know whenever I want to take her for a spin she will fire right up, not give me any trouble, any codes, just pure fun! In the end that's what it's all about, enjoying your car!

If you want to add some power to your Hemi, give us a call at Speedlogix, or send us a message, we have been involved in supercharging this platform from the beginning, and we would love to be part of your cars next chapter as well!"

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
That's a good read, 5-7psi of boost is not much. Most modern motors can handle that. Heck I owned a car that would take 5psi of boost on the stock map. I would t expect 5 psi of boost to effect reliabilty.

Reliability is multiple factors. Boost level, tune aggressiveness, fuel, and operating conditions to name a few. A Vortech kick is a good kit. I'd own one, but it's rather light on power. Heck it works with the stock injectors. :)

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
A Vortech kick is a good kit.
Maybe so...but Tidalwave is probably the only Kit available for the Pentastar Chargers now...

RIPP has a kit for the Pentastar Jeep wranglers.

Based on threads from the Z forums, members there have had tuning issues (among) others in getting it to work right.

Some 3.6 Challenger owners have had their vehicles tuned directly by Tidalwave and it 'seems' to be ok for them...

https://www.youtube.com/user/shebareddog1/videos

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I certainly agree that it's not a cheap option, and not the right one for everyone. Just pointing out that it may be a better option than buying a new car. And more specifically was also answering the question of "is it possible".

The 2 biggest factors that would concern me with FI on an essentially new car is warranty, and resale. I think a modern engine can handle probably a mild boost (enough to get you to V8 power anyway). It's not cheap or easy and as rob-2 said the more power you want the more it costs. Keeping it mild though, is potentially a more affordable choice depending on the particular car/owner/loan terms/etc.
Regarding resale though, I suspect you'd scare off a lot of dealerships from taking it on trade. Selling it out-right may net you a better price, but you'd have to wait for the right buyer since some folks may be afraid to buy a modified car. It's much like lifting a truck. Some people see it and automatically assume you beat the crap out of it, so some people steer clear of modified cars/trucks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts