Charger Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my first dodge vehicle I proudly own an 06 charger r/t! Shes quick when you put the pedal to the metal but shes not fast enough... yet. I've already installed a pedal commander to improve my chargers acceleration (it works amazingly btw). However I plan on modding this car heavily and I'm really considering supercharging it, I've looked around and I've seen the eaton m90 pop-up a few times and I was wondering if there is an adapter kit for it since it's rated for a max 5 liter engine. Does anyone know of an adapter plate that exists? If not please shoot me any suggestions you may have on adding a blower. The reasoning for the Eaton M90 is because I'm not trying to break the bank, if you have any cost effective blower opinions that would work for me please let me know! Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Well, doing your own installation is a huge discount. After that there is the tune.
I wish I could have a suggestion for a deal.

I installed mine and had it dyno-tuned, upgraded to dual fans and thicker radiator for 7k.
No Regrets.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
There are kits (similar to what he has ^^) that are geared specifically to your vehicle. Keep in mind that these kits are designed for lower boost and completely stock engines. You start turning it up without building the short block first.......

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
It's also worth mentioning that the '06's were well known for dropping valve seats. Maybe the issue has already been address on this Charger. If not, it's a thought to keep in mind. If it were mine, I think I would pull the heads, and get ahead of that curve before I invested $7k or more into it.

Don

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What kits would you recommend and if I have to build the block, what would you recommend? I’m very new to this and I want to maximize my cars potential without blowing the motor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then let's start with what your budget is and who will be doing the work?
My budget is at 1500-2000k as of right now before I get paid, as for the work there is a garage near me that will do some of the installation but it will mostly be done by me and my father, sounds kinda lame but he knows a ton about cars.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
7k if you install and have it tuned, 12k turnkey shop installed.
That's with out forging the internals.
It's not cheap, and if you are planning to keep the vehicle its worth it.
A 6-7 psi boost with good tune does not need to be built up and is good for a minimum of 100hp.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
7k if you install and have it tuned, 12k turnkey shop installed.
That's with out forging the internals.
It's not cheap, and if you are planning to keep the vehicle its worth it.
A 6-7 psi boost with good tune does not need to be built up and is good for a minimum of 100hp.
Which is only slightly more power than a normally aspirated 6.1L SRT8 from the same era. If it was me (and it isn't), I'd spend that mod money + whatever I could get for the stock R/T and buy a similar vintage SRT8. It will end up being approximately the same cost or potentially slightly cheaper, more reliable, and have better resale value. When you eventually sell the R/T (and you will) you'll take a bath on the resale value if it's been supercharged.

Just throwing that out there.

Best,

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Good analysis, and not good news $$ wise for the OP who ponders a 1500, 2k FI Build.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's also worth mentioning that the '06's were well known for dropping valve seats. Maybe the issue has already been address on this Charger. If not, it's a thought to keep in mind. If it were mine, I think I would pull the heads, and get ahead of that curve before I invested $7k or more into it.

Don
Don,
I have an 07. Please tell me what dropping valve seats means.
Thanks in advance.
Rhonda Z

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Don,
I have an 07. Please tell me what dropping valve seats means.
Thanks in advance.
Rhonda Z
When the cylinder head gets so hot the pressed in valve seat (which is steel, sitting in an aluminum head; they expand at different rates) falls out of place and proceeds to beat the shit out of the valve, piston, combustion chamber, bore, etc etc.

·
Registered
235 Posts
For my first dodge vehicle I proudly own an 06 charger r/t! Shes quick when you put the pedal to the metal but shes not fast enough... yet. I've already installed a pedal commander to improve my chargers acceleration (it works amazingly btw). However I plan on modding this car heavily and I'm really considering supercharging it, I've looked around and I've seen the eaton m90 pop-up a few times and I was wondering if there is an adapter kit for it since it's rated for a max 5 liter engine. Does anyone know of an adapter plate that exists? If not please shoot me any suggestions you may have on adding a blower. The reasoning for the Eaton M90 is because I'm not trying to break the bank, if you have any cost effective blower opinions that would work for me please let me know! Many thanks.
I didn't think the Pedal Commanders were listed for the '06? At least last time I looked.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Which is only slightly more power than a normally aspirated 6.1L SRT8 from the same era. If it was me (and it isn't), I'd spend that mod money + whatever I could get for the stock R/T and buy a similar vintage SRT8. It will end up being approximately the same cost or potentially slightly cheaper, more reliable, and have better resale value. When you eventually sell the R/T (and you will) you'll take a bath on the resale value if it's been supercharged.
The 100hp gain was the minimum. Realistically, a supercharger would add about 175-200hp. My SRT went from 400hp at the wheel to 570hp at the wheel, a 170hp gain.Going from a 5.7 to a 6.4 would yield about 100hp.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
The 100hp gain was the minimum. Realistically, a supercharger would add about 175-200hp. My SRT went from 400hp at the wheel to 570hp at the wheel, a 170hp gain.Going from a 5.7 to a 6.4 would yield about 100hp.
It absolutely can mean that much power if you generate more than 6-7psi of boost. However, nobody in their right mind would do that on a 5.7L with a stock bottom end.

Best,

·
Registered
359 Posts
It absolutely can mean that much power if you generate more than 6-7psi of boost. However, nobody in their right mind would do that on a 5.7L with a stock bottom end.
I am getting +170hp at 6lbs boost (what the pulley is set up as) and at 4200' above sea level. As I understand it, the tune I'm using is not overly aggressive. Don't know what the hp was with the stock supercharge tune but the new tune felt a lot better.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
I am getting +170hp at 6lbs boost (what the pulley is set up as) and at 4200' above sea level. As I understand it, the tune I'm using is not overly aggressive. Don't know what the hp was with the stock supercharge tune but the new tune felt a lot better.
A 50% power increase with 6psi? If you say so.

Best,

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Stock 2014 SRT is 400hp at the wheel (475 at the crank). See attached. It is a dyno with the smallest stock Procharger.
What relevance does that have to what can be done to a stock 5.7L on a 2006 Charger? I'd be shocked if you'd see much more than about 115-120hp at the crank @6psi on the original poster's engine which claimed 340hp at the crank. I actually owned one. The 6.1L available on 1st gen SRT had 425hp at the crank so I'll stand by my original comment. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Best,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts