Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K i know the subject has been beat to death lately but Im curious as hell to know just how we would stack up to the z06s, gt500s, and all the other super mean sports cars if we did supercharge our babys and everything held and worked out fine!! A couple of our brols have had some good luck so far but Where would we really stand when it comes to laying it down, and who would threaten us and who should we not play with? Lots of questions for all you mechanical wizards!!:lol:

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
O.K i know the subject has been beat to death lately but Im curious as hell to know just how we would stack up to the z06s, gt500s, and all the other super mean sports cars if we did supercharge our babys and everything held and worked out fine!! A couple of our brols have had some good luck so far but Where would we really stand when it comes to laying it down, and who would threaten us and who should we not play with? Lots of questions for all you mechanical wizards!!:lol:
Just going by members' experiences, it seems that there are three possible results

low boost - this will be relatively safe and will get you into the mid 12s

moderate to high boost with engine build up - this will get you into the 11s and possibly mid 11s if you can get traction and don't break a halfshaft. Spend will to build up the motor.

moderate boost without building up motor - can lead to blown motor!

I would GUESS that low boost will let you run with a STOCK GT500 and C6 Corvette (but maybe not the new LS3).

The higher levels of boost with the engine build up apparently will let you run with Z06s and Vipers if you do it right and they are stock.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just going by members' experiences, it seems that there are three possible results

low boost - this will be relatively safe and will get you into the mid 12s

moderate to high boost with engine build up - this will get you into the 11s and possibly mid 11s if you can get traction and don't break a halfshaft. Spend will to build up the motor.

moderate boost without building up motor - can lead to blown motor!

I would GUESS that low boost will let you run with a STOCK GT500 and C6 Corvette (but maybe not the new LS3).

The higher levels of boost with the engine build up apparently will let you run with Z06s and Vipers if you do it right and they are stock.
There is a video of a blown 300 spanking a z06 out there on a timed track.

·
Registered
813 Posts
yea I used to smoke zo6s and vipers all day with my 6.1 and 7lbs of boost. but I HIGHLY recommend building the motor up for anything more than that. I eventually had too and am happier now than ever. :)

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
yea I used to smoke zo6s and vipers all day with my 6.1 and 7lbs of boost. but I HIGHLY recommend building the motor up for anything more than that. I eventually had too and am happier now than ever. :)
Straight from the Big Guy's mouth

·
Registered
11 Posts
gilgamesh---> do u have the stroker engine 426 hemi , plus supercharge
what is the best thing for the car building the motor up or install a supercharge with a few mods .. u know some ppl they can just go an pay $18000 .. u have 2 do everythin step by step

·
Registered
150 Posts
So, who knows anything good or bad in regards to the GS Motorsports supercharger? It produces 6lbs. of boost and can be upgraded to 8-10lbs. There was an article about it on a Magnum, who had over 11,000 miles with it on and no problems.

Seems that most people on this site don't care for them; why?

·
Registered
813 Posts
kk first I think strongly that If you are going to be piecing your engine together a piece at a time and want the best bang for your buck and the fewest headaches, you neeed to build up the engine befor ay forced induction or juice is added. I did not do it this way and it ended up costing me alot of $$$ and time and heartache in the long run. this also depends on how bad you want to keep a warrenty. thing about warrentys is that if you break something and you have anymods at all you run the chance of them not honoring it if it can be proven that a specific power adder might have caused the damage. So if a warrenty is not a concern for you and you want the best long term platform to work with and something that will not give you any problems save your pennies and get one of the 426 stroker kits. or just buy the shork block and rebolt on your heads, headers and everything else. you will not get max benefit but then you will be able to piece the other things on as you get the money. be warned though unless you do your own work you willl end up with alot spent in extra labor costs this way as your mechanic does the same work over and over installing different parts. also remember that If you are going to do this and you have any intentions of running a blower or turbo later you need to spec the engine for it early, by running lower compression pistons ( mine are 9.4-1) and getting a cam that willl benefit from that kind of a settup. lol I could go all day so if anyone has any specific questions please say so. Also about GSM and the bad rap yes theer were a few engines that got trashed with the kit, mine was one of them, BUT as is the norm people sometimes jumped to conclusions on it and blamed the company to fast without investigating outside sources first. In my case and 1BAD4DR it was tuning issues that caused the engine failure, our fault or the tuning shops fault, not GSMs. also the lower ends of these cars are not really meant for big power ( 500+rwhp) so that is the other flaw with adding big power adders to the stock lower end. forge it and run lower compression and you can run 10lbs all day with out any worries at all. after we fixed my issues retuned the car and did the 7.0L conversion I have had no more blower related problems and am making over 600+rwhp as a daily driver with about 6000 miles on her and she purrs all day. :) hope this helped. good luck all, Dave

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Thanks for the info Giglamesh. Id love to see some track times from your monster. Please :)

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
kk first I think strongly that If you are going to be piecing your engine together a piece at a time and want the best bang for your buck and the fewest headaches, you neeed to build up the engine befor ay forced induction or juice is added. I did not do it this way and it ended up costing me alot of $$$ and time and heartache in the long run. this also depends on how bad you want to keep a warrenty. thing about warrentys is that if you break something and you have anymods at all you run the chance of them not honoring it if it can be proven that a specific power adder might have caused the damage. So if a warrenty is not a concern for you and you want the best long term platform to work with and something that will not give you any problems save your pennies and get one of the 426 stroker kits. or just buy the shork block and rebolt on your heads, headers and everything else. you will not get max benefit but then you will be able to piece the other things on as you get the money. be warned though unless you do your own work you willl end up with alot spent in extra labor costs this way as your mechanic does the same work over and over installing different parts. also remember that If you are going to do this and you have any intentions of running a blower or turbo later you need to spec the engine for it early, by running lower compression pistons ( mine are 9.4-1) and getting a cam that willl benefit from that kind of a settup. lol I could go all day so if anyone has any specific questions please say so. Also about GSM and the bad rap yes theer were a few engines that got trashed with the kit, mine was one of them, BUT as is the norm people sometimes jumped to conclusions on it and blamed the company to fast without investigating outside sources first. In my case and 1BAD4DR it was tuning issues that caused the engine failure, our fault or the tuning shops fault, not GSMs. also the lower ends of these cars are not really meant for big power ( 500+rwhp) so that is the other flaw with adding big power adders to the stock lower end. forge it and run lower compression and you can run 10lbs all day with out any worries at all. after we fixed my issues retuned the car and did the 7.0L conversion I have had no more blower related problems and am making over 600+rwhp as a daily driver with about 6000 miles on her and she purrs all day. :) hope this helped. good luck all, Dave

sorry to be off topic
WOW WOW awesome, some how I missed hearing about your ride. do youn run the 1/4 mi often if so what kind of times to do you run ?? and what kind of tires dod you use ??

·
Registered
813 Posts
lol its embarrassing to say the least and before I post let me tell you that I am not making excuses it is what it is but here it is. Due to surrent sonditions in the rear end I am still runnin gth e stock 255 tires. this prevents me from being able to put down any power off the line. I start in 2nd gear from a dig and do not shift into 1st AT ALL. obviously this poses a BIG problem to times and trap speeds byut is necissary until I get a new rear end in her and some meats so I can leave in 1st.

1/4= 12.02
60'= 2.1
trap=121mph
reaction=.347

·
Registered
150 Posts
Any lower and you'll have to cage that beast (literally). So, you have a blower with a built up lower end and there are no problems? How much has it cost you to build it up and supercharge it (minus the problems you had in the beginning)?

·
Registered
813 Posts
well I have the full 426 stroker engine from PPP. depending on te cam you get in there it is good for roughly 600hp to the crank about 500+to the rear. and I think that if I were to do it all over again for the complete settup I have would run you roughly 22-25K in parts.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Yup................. And I am running 12psi at Sea Level and 10 psi at my current elevation of 5500+ feet.

15K + miles and no hiccups whatsoever.......

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
well I have the full 426 stroker engine from PPP. depending on te cam you get in there it is good for roughly 600hp to the crank about 500+to the rear. and I think that if I were to do it all over again for the complete settup I have would run you roughly 22-25K in parts.
hmmmmm Dave I think you are a bit off on the numbers brotha.....

My 6.3 is good for 16 psi (currently 12psi until tuning is out). I am fairly confident (as is my engine builder) that we could safely produce 800 Horsies to the flywheel (current build). Of course the BIG question is what will the current drivetrain handle? lol

I have the GSM 1000hp Halfshafts and they are fricken badass.... Hard launches ALL day and Night. :)

I am certain that the PPP 426 is rated well above 800hp. IMO Can't wait for you to get that tune man.

·
Registered
813 Posts
lol yea I meant that as built with stock compression of 10-1 the 426 stroker is good for about 600hp N/A. then we toss a blower on there and stand by lol. but yea i agree we are gestimating my settup to be good for about 825crank hp when she is tuned properly.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
lol yea I meant that as built with stock compression of 10-1 the 426 stroker is good for about 600hp N/A. then we toss a blower on there and stand by lol. but yea i agree we are gestimating my settup to be good for about 825crank hp when she is tuned properly.
lol gotcha.....

And QUIT worrying about reaction times. The mean NOTHING unless you are Bracket or trophy racing. lol

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Gilgamesh

1bad4dr

2 go in

1 comes out

Let's all forum members pony up (excuse the expression) $100 bucks each for a winner take all match?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Gilgamesh

1bad4dr

2 go in

1 comes out

Let's all forum members pony up (excuse the expression) $100 bucks each for a winner take all match?
lol Dave is to scerd. hahahahaha

Once the tuning is available, Dave will edge me out. Currently, probably a good match, but since Dave does not have the upgraded halfshafts and starts out in 2nd, he is at a HUGE disadvantage. Unfortunetly. :)

And Dave will more than likely respond with his witty remarks soon. hahahahahaa

·
Registered
813 Posts
well it took me a little while to think of it, but now I remember that Ron on his trip to Va Knew that my beast was down in the shop for head work when he "coincidentally" planned his trip up, knowing damn well there would be no way we could race and there for him get smoked. lol its ok Ron I heard that you got dusted by Andy in Godspeed so I think that before you get to try for EvE you need to best her N/A cousin first ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts