Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a lot of work done by a very reputable HEMI performance shop in Deleware about 4 months ago. They installed 2.9 L whipple, ported heads, and a 274 comp cam. Pushes 586 RWHP. Car has 36,000 miles on it.

The other day, I romped on the throttle getting onto the highway. There was a pause right after I stepped on it. Let go of the gas pedal, check engine light comes on. Car threw a slew of codes. "p0113 intake temperature sensor circuit high input" "p0138 02 circuit high voltage bank 2 sensor 1", "p0038 shows heater control circuit high (bank 1 sensor 2), "p0456 EVAP system leak detected (very small), "p0133 O2 circuit slow response (bank 1. Sensor 1), "p0440 EVAP emission system" "p0441 evap emission incorrect purge flow" "p0430 catalyst system below threshold bank 2), "p2271 O2 sensor signal stuck rich (bank 1, sensor 2" "p219a unknown" "p219B unknown"

Had the car towed to a shop that can work with my original shop based on my current location. As of right now, the supercharger runs pretty rough (rattling noise just while idling) and there appeared to be little (metal?) specks in the oil after dipstick pulls. (Maybe a bearing?) Along with low coolant and oil levels. My questions are: has anyone experienced something like this before, what could this issue be? And more importantly, should I be paying for anything here? I dropped 16k on all this work getting done just 5 months ago. There should not be issues like this. I don't even take this car to the track. As of right now I'm still waiting for an official diagnosis, but I'm worried if they need to take the engine apart again, what am I expected to pay for in this situation?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Those aren't specs of metal on your dipstick, those are PIECES of metal.

Something internal has let go. Boost on a stock bottom end is a crap shoot with any of these new Hemi engines. I'd wager you're missing some ring land material on at least 1 cylinder.

As for what you should pay for, that's going to depend on what warranty you got when you had it built. It should be included in your build packet, if not, call the folks that did the work and ask them.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
They installed 2.9 L whipple
How much boost was tuned into the supercharger? Whipple Stage-1 can deliver 7-8 psi and Stage-2 can deliver 8-9 psi.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
There are lots of stock bottom end 5.7s supercharged. Companies like edelbrock wouldn't be selling kits with warranties covering the motor (granted theirs runs at 6psi) if they thought the motor wouldn't handle it. The thing here is that there are so many variables regarding ignition timing, fueling, tuning, etc that could be at play here.

All there is to do now is some archaeology. Don't run the motor more until you figure out where that metal came from. I'd be all over the shop that installed this in this situation. Sounds like they need to be pulling the heads and pan to see what happened.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Suprised that shop did that build knowing this.... The 5.7 block isn't as stout as the 6.4
The 5.7 bottom end is more stout than the 6.4 with reference to boost though...

As far as what happened, at nearly 600hp to the tire, you are at the very upper end of stock bottom end stability on the 5.7. Boost level is what is needed to know what exactly might have gone wrong...
As others have said, it is very likely that you lost top land on a piston or two... or spun a bearing. If there was no obvious explosion then you didn’t toss a rod so that’s something.
Oil pan needs pulled to see what let go. Those are some sizeable pieces of metal to be pulled up from a dipstick...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
972 Posts
Interested to see what happened here, and sorry that it did. As for knowledge of what could have happened, I don't have the know. Just remember everything will work out in the end!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are lots of stock bottom end 5.7s supercharged. Companies like edelbrock wouldn't be selling kits with warranties covering the motor (granted theirs runs at 6psi) if they thought the motor wouldn't handle it. The thing here is that there are so many variables regarding ignition timing, fueling, tuning, etc that could be at play here.

All there is to do now is some archaeology. Don't run the motor more until you figure out where that metal came from. I'd be all over the shop that installed this in this situation. Sounds like they need to be pulling the heads and pan to see what happened.
The shop that installed this is in Deleware. I am military, currently in Texas. The shop referred me to a place he knows and trusts in texas. How much of this work should they be paying for? Also I have been renting a car...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
If they did the install and tuning, called it safe, and you didn't do anything they said not to do, I think they should cover all of it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The shop that installed this is in Deleware. I am military, currently in Texas. The shop referred me to a place he knows and trusts in texas. How much of this work should they be paying for? Also I have been renting a car...
Curiously, who did they recommend in Texas? I'm in Texas and took my car to Virginia for my build lol.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 41 Posts