Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to try to fix the sunroof rattle myself tomorrow (saturday). If no one has tried I will take some snap shots and maybe a movie of the sound it makes when you pound on the class. It seems to be coming from the passenger side. The glass screws were tight. Figures that I would have to take apart the everything to get to it. :confused:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I think Its fixed....

Ok here are the pictures. I followed the TSB and that did not solve the problem. So I improvised.

Remove weather stripping

Take seatbelt holder off

Take visor and visor clip off. Let visor hang.

Pull "A" pillar molding off. I think thats what it is called. Be careful as there is a special clip here. It allows the molding to come off about an inch. Then you press the 2 tabs and it will release. Just move it out of the way and leave it connected at the bottom.

Remove rear courtesy light

Pull rubber molding off the sunroof. Only half needs to be done.

I tighened the bolts above the seatbelt belt pillar on the roof.

The I tightened the bolt towards the front windshield

I still had the metallic rattle. It seems that it was coming from the rivited area. If they used screws here you could either tighten or remove and put some felt there. So what I did was use a small screw driver and tapped in some felt. It also puts a little pressure on the metal.

I think this solved the problem. At least for now. Let me know if this helps anyone. You need a 10mm socket and torx bits. Large torz for the seatbelt bolt. That was the hardest part. Felt like I was going to bust a nut taking it off.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Awesome write-up! Thanks a bunch. I think I hear that rattle occasionally, but this is going to be very valuable if I ever decide to do something about it!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you put some thread lock on the screws so they wouldn't vibrate loose again?
Nope..I wanted to see if the sound went away first when I tighened. It did not. The bolts we not really lose anyway. I just gave them a few xtra turns. I was afraid of breaking them.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Question: Why are you trying to fix something yourself that there is a TSB for? I had mine fixed at the dealer and no more rattles. Good write-up though.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Awesome write-up! Thanks a bunch. I think I hear that rattle occasionally, but this is going to be very valuable if I ever decide to do something about it!
If you hear it now it will get worse fast! Mine started rattling around 8K miles and got worse everyday. Let the dealer fix it, it's under warranty.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Question: Why are you trying to fix something yourself that there is a TSB for? I had mine fixed at the dealer and no more rattles. Good write-up though.
Very good question..Do not trust anyone touching my interior. Especially the headliner. I am a firm believer that the item will not be the same again after someone touches it. If that happens with me doing it to my own car, I can live with it. Not only that, but the TSB did not fix the problem. So what do you think the dealer would of told me. If the TSB said I had to replace a part, then I would have no choice but to let the dealer do it. Thanks for the question though.:grin:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Very good question..Do not trust anyone touching my interior. Especially the headliner. I am a firm believer that the item will not be the same again after someone touches it. If that happens with me doing it to my own car, I can live with it. Not only that, but the TSB did not fix the problem. So what do you think the dealer would of told me. If the TSB said I had to replace a part, then I would have no choice but to let the dealer do it. Thanks for the question though.:grin:
Good for you. I feel the same way about alot of things but I wouldn't trust myself to take my headliner down. I would for sure mess that up:)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good for you. I feel the same way about alot of things but I wouldn't trust myself to take my headliner down. I would for sure mess that up:)
You don;t have to take it down...thats the good part. Just remove those pieces and it will hang down on it own with a little pull from your hands. It was surprisingly rigid.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Not only that, but the TSB did not fix the problem. So what do you think the dealer would of told me. If the TSB said I had to replace a part, then I would have no choice but to let the dealer do it. Thanks for the question though.:grin:
If the dealer couldn't fix the rattle, I'm sure they would have replaced the whole sunroof assembly.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If the dealer couldn't fix the rattle, I'm sure they would have replaced the whole sunroof assembly.
No thanks...

Drove around for the past few days with the sunroof open and no rattle. :grin: Problem fixed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts