Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Charger R/T - The sunroof leaks somewhere along the back of the sunroof onto the top of the sunroof cover and if it rains enough, onto the passenger backrest & seat. A drive-thru car wash did the same thing (how I first noticed). What are the most common fixes to this if there are any?

The sunroof works perfect electronically and closes as it should. The seal looks great with no cracks or visible faults and the sunroof appears to close nice and even with the roof. The rails have grease/lubricant and are clean and free from debris, dirt, etc.

I have read threads about 4 drain holes that could get clogged up but they appear to be open. Where do these drain to exactly? Any way to clear them if there is a clog?

I'm hoping to get this resolved before the rainy season hits (almost here). Any help would be most appreciated and thanks for any info.

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
I had the same issue last week in the car wash, about to take it to the dealer next week

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same issue last week in the car wash, about to take it to the dealer next week
Let me know what you find out. I've tried everything under the sun to get this fixed including a calibration that the dealer did really quick in the parking lot yesterday. Afterwards, the rear of the sunroof settled a little more level (higher) with the roof. It involves the sunroof buttons. Below is the sequence of calibration that the dealer's service dept. did. It takes just a few minutes and it's different from the service bulletin sequence of repetition.

1. Get in and either place the ignition in ACC or just turn the engine on (technician turned engine on).
2. Have the sunroof closed (not vented) and the cover open.
3. Press & hold the OPEN button. When the sunroof fully opens, continue holding for about 20 more seconds. Release & immediately follow step 4.
4. Press & hold the CLOSE button. When the sunroof fully closes, continue holding for about 20 more seconds. Release & immediately follow step 5.
5. Press & hold the VENT button. When the sunroof fully vents, continue holding for about 20 more seconds. Release & immediately follow step 6.
6. Press & hold the CLOSE button. When the sunroof fully closes, continue holding for about 20 more seconds. Calibration is complete and the sunroof should be leveled off.

Unfortunately, this method did level off the rear of the sunroof better but after testing by making two passes with a water hose over it at normal pressure, it was still leaking onto the top of the cover. So, I may have a seal problem or something else.

Which brings me to the seal: The rear-center of my sunroof is the location of where the seal meets both ends. This section doesn't look as flat and level as the rest of the seal but doesn't show any gaps at the same time. Is this normal/common or sound like a faulty seal?

Hope the above method helps someone else with this problem and thanks to anyone with further fixes/repairs.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks for the info...i have had a leak in mine ever since i bought the car. I to found it by going throught the car wash... but i have a spot of sealer or RTV gasket sealer on my sunroof...if you clean it off...it will just come back when you open the sunroof again !!! I believe someone at the dealership where i bought it from tried to fix the leak...and all they did was add a new problem...i think a new seal would be the better solution. It only seems to leak when high pressure is applied from the car wash...when it rains it wont leak? Again..thanks for the info...i will try to calibrate it and see if it works! :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok, check this out! After doing some in depth research, I found one single post on another forum regarding a drip tray that broke off the sunroof mechanism and was just sitting back where the sunroof retracts between the roof & rails. After finding this post, I went out and sure enough there was my drip tray broken off and sitting back there! You'll want to look for a long, thin, plastic tray with little (3-4") long plastic clips (one on driver side & one on pass side) that are supposed to be attached to the actual sunroof mechanism. My driver-side arm broke away from the mechanism and pass-side was completely missing! This tray is supposed to be positioned directly below the rear-sunroof seal and attached to the sunroof channel rails (hence the leaking directly below the rear seal). To check for the tray, just vent the sunroof (don't slide back because the tray will just slide back with it) and look in there. Hope this helps and saves you a trip to the stealership.

I tested this whole thing by going through a drive-thru car wash with very high-pressure water shooting straight down onto the roof. While going through the car wash, I put my hand up between the sunroof and the cover and could even feel water running down into the tray and into the side channels. After the wash, not a single drop was on the sunroof cover!

The only problem is, this tray is still broken off and sitting freely below the rear seal. So, I can't exactly open my sunroof back without that tray sliding back in there again. I am currently looking for a fix for this or even a new tray or drip channel. I hope this helps everyone else and if anyone knows where I can get this tray or drip channel kit, please let me know, so I don't just have an unusable window in the roof!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok, check this out! After doing some in depth research, I found one single post on another forum regarding a drip tray that broke off the sunroof mechanism and was just sitting back where the sunroof retracts between the roof & rails. After finding this post, I went out and sure enough there was my drip tray broken off and sitting back there! You'll want to look for a long, thin, plastic tray with little (3-4") long plastic clips (one on driver side & one on pass side) that are supposed to be attached to the actual sunroof mechanism. My driver-side arm broke away from the mechanism and pass-side was completely missing! This tray is supposed to be positioned directly below the rear-sunroof seal and attached to the sunroof channel rails (hence the leaking directly below the rear seal). To check for the tray, just vent the sunroof (don't slide back because the tray will just slide back with it) and look in there. Hope this helps and saves you a trip to the stealership.

I tested this whole thing by going through a drive-thru car wash with very high-pressure water shooting straight down onto the roof. While going through the car wash, I put my hand up between the sunroof and the cover and could even feel water running down into the tray and into the side channels. After the wash, not a single drop was on the sunroof cover!

The only problem is, this tray is still broken off and sitting freely below the rear seal. So, I can't exactly open my sunroof back without that tray sliding back in there again. I am currently looking for a fix for this or even a new tray or drip channel. I hope this helps everyone else and if anyone knows where I can get this tray or drip channel kit, please let me know, so I don't just have an unusable window in the roof!
Did you ever resolve this issue? My SRT8 decided to piss on me last night. The roof cloth, I don't know the technical name, was so wet that it was dripping! Please let me know! Thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you ever resolve this issue? My SRT8 decided to piss on me last night. The roof cloth, I don't know the technical name, was so wet that it was dripping! Please let me know! Thanks
Still haven't found a drip channel kit other than maybe going to the dealer but then its $$$ so as of now all I've done is make sure the rear drip tray just under the back edge stays just under that crack where the glass meets the roof. I check it every so often and I've hardly used the sunroof b/c of this problem. No leaks since!

Check that tray, it has to be in the exact correct spot to catch any runoff, otherwise, you're looking at a nice leak. There should be a piece of weatherstripping attached to the drip tray that runs all the way left to right. That piece should be just barely covered under the edge of the roof leaving the actual tray under the crack to catch the water.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Still haven't found a drip channel kit other than maybe going to the dealer but then its $$$ so as of now all I've done is make sure the rear drip tray just under the back edge stays just under that crack where the glass meets the roof. I check it every so often and I've hardly used the sunroof b/c of this problem. No leaks since!

Check that tray, it has to be in the exact correct spot to catch any runoff, otherwise, you're looking at a nice leak. There should be a piece of weatherstripping attached to the drip tray that runs all the way left to right. That piece should be just barely covered under the edge of the roof leaving the actual tray under the crack to catch the water.

Hope this helps!
Well I haven't addressed this issue again until just now... only because its raining again lol. I will try finding this "tray" and hopefully that's in the correct place! Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I've been living with a broken drain channel for years. I use the sunroof when the weather permits. I close the roof then open it in the open vent position. I slide the sunshade forward then move the channel under the back of the rear of sunroof. I sometimes have to move it from both sides then close fully.

I never had a leak.

If you want to change it out you have to remove the glass and slide the channel forward to remove it from the rails it slides in. (There are notches that allow the channel to come out.} Reverse to install with the attaching arms going into the little holes on the upper mechanism.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I check the drain channel price. Drain channel part # 5137559AD. $68.25 list price. Dealer is free to set price, may be lower. If you end up doing it, be careful to not tear the fan pieces (folded side trim on the sides). If you do, part #5174184AA, $15.50 each list price.

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
I check the drain channel price. Drain channel part # 5137559AD. $68.25 list price. Dealer is free to set price, may be lower. If you end up doing it, be careful to not tear the fan pieces (folded side trim on the sides). If you do, part #5174184AA, $15.50 each list price.
can't really imagine where this part goes #5174184AA can you explain please?

and I checked the tray it's broken. I took out the whole sunroof assembly out of the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is there any chance that a leaky sunroof would make my driver's side carpet wet--really wet--tons of water under the carpet? Mold behind back passenger's side door. I don't know how many leaks this thing might have. The tray at the back of the sunroof as broken, and I positioned it as suggested above, but I am so absolutely puzzled by the apparent origins of my leaks. There's seems, suddenly, definitely to be one around the front of the front driver's side door, but there's certainly something going on with my sunroof as well (which seems to leak through the headliner and drip on the driver's side of my backseat area). I don't know if I have a single or multiple issues. I think multiple. Last night it rained in Austin, and with my sunroof, which I know leaks, covered and sealed, I still ended up with water around the driver's door. The carpet's wet--left side near door), water also seemed to be on the wrong side of the weatherstripping along the door, and on the floor trim (right where you open the door--the first thing you'd touch after the metal as moving in toward car, was soaked). I'm baffled. Any thoughts would be great. This is on a 2007 Charger RT. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had/have this same problem. I had to start parking my car in the garage as this just started randomly one day under really heavy rain. I first noticed that my floors were wet. Got so bad it started to rust some. Always drained down the front drivers side, past the door and onto the carpet/floor.

Really annoying and costly I am sure since I have some rust now. Freaking pain.

Going to check for those trays and see if they are broken or missing and do the sunroof calibration as well

THANKS!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts