Charger Forums banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,005 Posts
I also have no actual statistics, measurements, or proof, but would like to go against the manufacturer's recommendation, the science behind what octane in fuels mean, and physics. Because bigger numbers, right?

Or not.

As for why the advertising, I'm sure it's because Sunoco runs numbers and over time demand for high-price, low-volume, high-margin product wanes... because almost nobody needs it. Wave around some advertising dollars and you'll stir up the pot and get enough suckers paying more for fuel, and it helps justify trucking the stuff around for the little demand that actually exists.

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Charger SXT; Triple Nickel
80 Posts
Speedometer Car Gauge Tachometer Automotive design

City/Hwy mix

Automotive design Speedometer Gauge Personal luxury car Measuring instrument

All HWY, cruise set at 76.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,364 Posts
I also have no actual statistics, measurements, or proof, but would like to go against the manufacturer's recommendation, the science behind what octane in fuels mean, and physics. Because bigger numbers, right?

Or not.

As for why the advertising, I'm sure it's because Sunoco runs numbers and over time demand for high-price, low-volume, high-margin product wanes... because almost nobody needs it. Wave around some advertising dollars and you'll stir up the pot and get enough suckers paying more for fuel, and it helps justify trucking the stuff around for the little demand that actually exists.
Why would you like to go against the Manufacturers recommendation? They designed it, they know exactly what's required. I think it's amazingly safe to state that whatever your Manual says to use, start there at least.
Going higher Octane then what's required will not help anything. Octane isn't HP , it's a way to retain your engine HP.
Please read my last post on this thread I explain it briefly.

·
Premium Member
4,005 Posts
Why would you like to go against the Manufacturers recommendation? They designed it, they know exactly what's required. I think it's amazingly safe to state that whatever your Manual says to use, start there at least.
Going higher Octane then what's required will not help anything. Octane isn't HP , it's a way to retain your engine HP.
Please read my last post on this thread I explain it briefly.
Friend, my post was laden with sarcasm. I thought it was blatant but I don't want to insult anyone specific, so maybe I erred on the side of being subtle.

Reactions: Mantis

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
To my original thought, I just don't know why it exists. Nothing out there requires it. I don't see a demand for it. Don't know what Sunoco is up to. It was $4.25 the other day. If the station doesn't have 91 I'll do a 93/94 and 89 mix.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Not only do I struggle trying to name a car that requires 94 Octane, I struggle trying to understand why Sunoco is marketing this expensive mixture at a time when gas is at a 7-year high.

Reactions: FlyersHockey

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Not only do I struggle trying to name a car that requires 94 Octane, I struggle trying to understand why Sunoco is marketing this expensive mixture at a time when gas is at a 7-year high.
Y'all are making me wish I had it near me. I'd dang sure run it in the beast

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Just buy a 5 gallon pail of 260 GT and pour it in the tank and top off with premium.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I own both a 6.4L Scat pack and a 3.6L SXT AWD and the SXT never ever knocked running 87 octane. I find it to feel powerful strong and not feeling like I need higher octane in it. BUT since you feel differently, I will honor that and go through a few tanks of 89 octane and see if there is any difference.

I owned also a 5.7L which was in a 2017 Durango R/T and I always ran 89 octane for the street. BUT when I raced it at the Drag Strip, I used 91 or 93 and it always felt stronger doing so.

I'm not one of those guys who think Octane doesn't make any difference and strictly follow the owners manual, I use to be a Certified Nissan and Gm Tech and have a Associates Degree in Automotive Technology.

The thing about Octane that people fail to know is that it doesn't make any HP at all. It only retains what your car can provide. That's it. Octane stops pre ignition which could be called Knocking or Pinging. What happens when this happens , the computer will retard timing to reduce this issue due to the lower Octane fuel.

Most engines will run perfectly fine daily on 87 octane, even high performance engines that require 89 or 91 octane. BUT under load is where you will lose HP. When you run the required fuel for your engine design and use it at Full power Wide Open Throttle, your engine requires the highest required fuel that engine needs under those conditions.
Yes, uniformity in combustion is key. The higher the octane, the less likely the mixture is to lighting off before it is supposed to. Modern vehicles have all kinds of ways to compensate for less than optimal octane fuel but there is no way to compensate for the reverse which is why it is very unwise for anyone to spend extra money on fuel that has higher octane than is needed. In this regard, the manufacturer should be trusted in their recommendation as there is no reason for them to advise otherwise.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
This article backs up many points made in this thread and proves my theory wrong:

I wish people would read more articles like that one. Most people think that Premium fuel will only help there car and should run it to clean out the engine. Common people will run daily on 87 and then once a month fill up on 91-93 as a way to treat their engine to the good stuff.

We will wish we could pour power into our tanks and have our rides feel more powerful.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I need to get my manual.

I know the 94 isn't necessary, as I originally made the thread simply because I was confused why they were marketing it.

Everywhere you read for the 392 Hemi Chargers/Challengers, you see minimum 91. If you do a Google search you'll see a lot of, "minimum required 91, preferred 93." I've never seen that.

If you think we're bad, the RAM forums discussing thr 6.4L fuel is pretty funny. They're arguing over 87/89/91 and confused because the 2500 truck only requires 89.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I need to get my manual.

I know the 94 isn't necessary, as I originally made the thread simply because I was confused why they were marketing it.

Everywhere you read for the 392 Hemi Chargers/Challengers, you see minimum 91. If you do a Google search you'll see a lot of, "minimum required 91, preferred 93." I've never seen that.

If you think we're bad, the RAM forums discussing thr 6.4L fuel is pretty funny. They're arguing over 87/89/91 and confused because the 2500 truck only requires 89.
If you look in your manual, It will say 91 Octane or higher, 0-15% Ethanol. So 91 Octane is the minimum Octane rating you should use in the 6.4L Engine. So running 93 or even 94 would be perfectly fine according to the Manual. It doesn't say DON"T use 94 Octane. If we have it anywhere around me , I will get a few gallons before I go to the Drag Strip. I might even do a full purge and run out my 93 as low as 1/8 tank and then take it up to 1/2 tank with 94 a few days before a Drag Strip night. I like to run with just over 1/4 tank like in between 1/2 and 1/4.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
No owners manual that I am aware of says not to use a higher octane rating than called out so I don't understand that approach to the subject or argument. Using an octane below the recommended rating would be more arguable.

But out of curiosity, what US built car requires 94? I know of a couple cars (my Mustang for instance) where the max HP rating is based on 93 octane per the manual. But the manual also says it can run fine on 87 minimum. That was before installing the super charger.

Sunoco marketing gimmick. A can of octane booster will be just as good and best of all readily available.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,231 Posts
A can of octane booster is a bigger joke. It raises maybe one point. Say from 93 to 93.1.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
No owners manual that I am aware of says not to use a higher octane rating than called out so I don't understand that approach to the subject or argument. Using an octane below the recommended rating would be more arguable.

But out of curiosity, what US built car requires 94? I know of a couple cars (my Mustang for instance) where the max HP rating is based on 93 octane per the manual. But the manual also says it can run fine on 87 minimum. That was before installing the super charger.

Sunoco marketing gimmick. A can of octane booster will be just as good and best of all readily available.
A marketing gimmick sure, but aimed at who? Especially now with gas prices soaring.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Ultra 94 is not a new thing. It was out in the 80's where cars HP where way lower and didn't require I then either. I use to run it in my 87 Grand National but honestly don't recall what the owners manual said I should run.

Sunoco was the only gas station to offer 94 Octane , everyone else was 93.

Dodge doesn't state running anything as fact above 91 octane, even for the Hellcat , they state 91 or higher. What's higher? 92? 93? 94? Again doesn't say anywhere that 94 would or would not benefit anything. I guess it comes down to you deciding if it's worth the few pennies to try it or use it on a daily basis.

The 5.7 runs very strong on 91-93 Octane , is it topped out there? I have no idea but trying 94 octane because it's available at Sunoco isn't the worse decision you can make. Same goes with the other 2 engines. Hell for Drag Strip night's, I'd be full willing to spend a few extra pennies on a few gallons in the tank to rest assure I won't ping.

I don't think this is a cut and dry conversation because NONE of us are DODGE trained engine experts.

If dodge printed that 93 octane is the max octane you should use for MAX engine performance then going with 94 octane is a total waste of money. Tuners Tune to 93 Octane because that is what is mostly available at most gas stations . BUT if 94 was available at all gas stations rest assure Tuners would tune for it and possible Auto companies would also factory tune for it.

Again most people speak out of lack of real engine knowledge and assume things. I see it all the time. I'm not claiming to be an expert but if you actually understand octane and how combustion works, offering 1 more octane rating isn't a bad thing.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
A marketing gimmick sure, but aimed at who? Especially now with gas prices soaring.
Is it ? Agree gas prices are soaring and I hate it but why go through all the trouble of making 1 octane more when as most people claim that 93 is all you need for engines designed today? Who is stopping by Sunco to get it? hell Sunco isn't around like it use to be back in the 80's and 90's . Many of their stations around me anyway closed and are different companies now. I do however have 3 Sunoco gas Stations near me and I have to stop by one or all of them and see if they are offering 94 octane. Last time I went to one , 91 and 93 where the 2 top dogs. They have always offered 4 grade of gas, 87 - 89 - 91 - 93 ( use to be 94 back in the day ).

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
@Mantis "Again most people speak out of lack of real engine knowledge and assume things. I see it all the time. I'm not claiming to be an expert but if you actually understand octane and how combustion works, offering 1 more octane rating isn't a bad thing."

No one is claiming it is a bad thing. What is being asked or questioned is what is the benefit of 94 in a unmodified daily driver.. Its clearly sales campaign by Sunoco who proudly says its the highest octane widely available fuel.

There are probably a few modified car enthusiasts who will have a need for it. But more likely the people buying 94 fuel are those with an emotional feel that a higher octane fuel equates to better stop light to stop light performance, a cleaner engine than another top tier fuel, and increased fuel economy that outweighs the added cost.

If you find it, run a tank through and then replicate your cars condition and set up from your last track runs and run a couple more using 94 and post results. But that still won't answer what benefit 94 has on a daily driver in normal driving conditions.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts