Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is Sunoco putting ads everywhere for Sunoco Ultra 94? Did it go somewhere? I didn't think this was anything new.

I've now seen 2 commercials, 2 billboards, and both Sunoco stations near me advertising for it.

The one I use fairly regularly had 87, 89, 91 and I thought 94 all along. The one I went to today had brand new "Ultra 94" buttons.

Am I missing something, or are they just pushing the fuel?

The ad is a Challenger by the way.

·
Registered
2021 Charger Scat Pack, Granite Crystal
35 Posts
That is a first for me, at our Sunoco I have only seen 87, 89, 91, and Ultra 93. Here the price difference between 91 and 93 is only .02 cents, so I always opt for the 93.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol, ultra 94? That’s not gonna make a difference
Never said it was. I've been running 91. Just said I don't know why all of a sudden it's being advertised when as far as I know, it's not new.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Sounds like a whole bunch of mumbo jumbo...

"Yes. Like all Sunoco fuels, Ultra 94 contains up to 10% ethanol."
Yeah I don't get it. Maybe they added new detergents? I don't really care about the octane rating. I'll use Sunoco because it's Top Tier, or I'll use any Top Tier for that matter.

I just don't know what's "new" about it? I'm guessing just to market the fuel? But I can't imagine with rising fuel prices across the country, and most people don't pay attention to what their car needs anyway and just use 87, that there is really a huge profit margin to be had by marketing a "new" Ultra 94.

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
So what does 94 set you back for? An extra nickle?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,367 Posts
Back in the 80's and 90's Ultra 94 was around. Then I noticed into the 2000's it went away in favor of Ultra 93. I have not seen anything that Ultra 94 is back and I just got gas at a Sunoco Last Thursday before I went to the Track. They had 93 not 94. I wonder why they have it again?

·
Super Moderator
11,650 Posts
Even if you're driving an SRT you don't need 94 Octane. I put 91 in my SRT.

I do put 94 in my Z06, because it's Supercharged and 93+ is recommended.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Even if you're driving an SRT you don't need 94 Octane. I put 91 in my SRT.

I do put 94 in my Z06, because it's Supercharged and 93+ is recommended.
The original Thread Starter was asking why Sunoco was advertising it when he didn't realize it was gone which it has been for a long time.

The 6.4L engine require a minimum of 91 Octane or higher. The Hell cats could absolutely use 94 Octane , they are Supercharged.
The 5.7L engine suggest using 89 Octane and can run on 87 octane. I had a R/T and it ran better on 89 then 87 and even better on 91 or 93
The 3.6L engine only requires 87 octane and makes no mention of higher Octane fuel. I'm not sure if you would get any benefit out of 89 octane on the 3.6L at all. It runs great on 87.

To say you don't need it I think I would use it at the track. I don't see any reason to use it on the street so I do agree with you there. I usually just run 93 octane all the time as I like to go to the Drag Strip and don't want to have to run down the 91 octane to get a good 93 in the tank. Now that 94 is back ( I haven't see it in decades ) I will absolutely use it a week before I go to the Drag Strip. But I wouldn't plan on it IF my Scat pack was a Daily Driver which it is not.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Just use octane booster

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah I don't get it. Maybe they added new detergents? I don't really care about the octane rating. I'll use Sunoco because it's Top Tier, or I'll use any Top Tier for that matter.

I just don't know what's "new" about it? I'm guessing just to market the fuel? But I can't imagine with rising fuel prices across the country, and most people don't pay attention to what their car needs anyway and just use 87, that there is really a huge profit margin to be had by marketing a "new" Ultra 94.
Just don't use it in a classic unless you have changed all of the rubber fuel lines to newer ones. The old ones are not made for alcohol and will deteriorate over time.

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Charger SXT; Triple Nickel
80 Posts
The 3.6L engine only requires 87 octane and makes no mention of higher Octane fuel. I'm not sure if you would get any benefit out of 89 octane on the 3.6L at all. It runs great on 87.
The 3.6L definitely runs smoother, less “knocking” and it gets slightly better MPG’s with 89. That’s the lowest that I will run in it.

Occasionally I will fill it with 91 with the mindset that it will help to keep it clean. I have no real data on the cleaning properties of 91 over anything else other than what I have been told most of my life. No more than I actually use it, I haven’t cared enough to research that part.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Back in the 80's and 90's Ultra 94 was around. Then I noticed into the 2000's it went away in favor of Ultra 93. I have not seen anything that Ultra 94 is back and I just got gas at a Sunoco Last Thursday before I went to the Track. They had 93 not 94. I wonder why they have it again?
Ultra 94 is what I used to use with either a can of "real octane boost" or in a 10% mix with fuel grade ethanol. It was the only common pump gas that allowed my blueprinted 10:1 compression .030 overbored 440hp (original to my 68 charger) to not ping with adequate total timing.

I miss not being able to find this anywhere today. Higher octane matters when you're on the edge of compression and operate at sea level.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
The 3.6L definitely runs smoother, less “knocking” and it gets slightly better MPG’s with 89. That’s the lowest that I will run in it.

Occasionally I will fill it with 91 with the mindset that it will help to keep it clean. I have no real data on the cleaning properties of 91 over anything else other than what I have been told most of my life. No more than I actually use it, I haven’t cared enough to research that part.
I own both a 6.4L Scat pack and a 3.6L SXT AWD and the SXT never ever knocked running 87 octane. I find it to feel powerful strong and not feeling like I need higher octane in it. BUT since you feel differently, I will honor that and go through a few tanks of 89 octane and see if there is any difference.

I owned also a 5.7L which was in a 2017 Durango R/T and I always ran 89 octane for the street. BUT when I raced it at the Drag Strip, I used 91 or 93 and it always felt stronger doing so.

I'm not one of those guys who think Octane doesn't make any difference and strictly follow the owners manual, I use to be a Certified Nissan and Gm Tech and have a Associates Degree in Automotive Technology.

The thing about Octane that people fail to know is that it doesn't make any HP at all. It only retains what your car can provide. That's it. Octane stops pre ignition which could be called Knocking or Pinging. What happens when this happens , the computer will retard timing to reduce this issue due to the lower Octane fuel.

Most engines will run perfectly fine daily on 87 octane, even high performance engines that require 89 or 91 octane. BUT under load is where you will lose HP. When you run the required fuel for your engine design and use it at Full power Wide Open Throttle, your engine requires the highest required fuel that engine needs under those conditions.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
It is possible the Pentastar with a compression ratio of 11.3:1 could run a little better on 89 octane vs 87.

Reactions: Rhill1124

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Charger SXT; Triple Nickel
80 Posts
*Disclaimer *
1. My calculations are strictly from the drivers seat. I do not have any hard numbers from Dyno’s or anything. Kind of like AccuWeather’s Real Feel. Haha
2. After experiencing the famous Pentstar tick with my ‘15, I am very sensitive to knocking/ticking sounds. I think I may have PTPTSD (Pentastar Tick…)
3. This is my daily driver. I am averaging approximately 150 miles per day, 5-6 days a week. Moderate to hard driving with a mix of city and Highway, more city. My daily MPG AVG seems to sit at 20-21. I am not light on the pedal by any means. Straight highway, betweenPHX and Tucson, I can get it up to almost 30, cruising at 80.

Bottom line, I’m not claiming that the extra 2 octane turns it into a HC. 😂🤦🏻‍♂️
But, I can feel a slight difference over 87.

Now that I have fully hacked the OP’s thread, I apologize.
I haven’t even seen a Sunoco in years TBH, let alone any commercials for it. Back in Ohio, next to the track in LaRue, there was a gas station that carried 104.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts