Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys/gals I am thinking about doing a suede or micro-fiber headliner. My question is to the people that have done it themselves or seen the process, how difficult is it and do you know of any tutorials? And do any of you have pics? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Personally I'd like to see this too. I think I see a black roof to match the rest in the future. The off white or whatever it is doesn't really do it for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm in the process of upholstering my sun visors to a black suede and decided I'm going to do the headliner while I'm at it. I originally bought an extra pair of visors off eBay because my originals didn't have vanity lights. That's when I decided to do the whole upholstery thing.

I've taken the visors completely apart and that's how they've stayed for a week now, I just haven't had time to do it. I do have pics of the disassembly. I need to buy the cloth and black spray paint to do all the plastic pieces. Now, the headliner is very intimidating, I may just get a shop to do that.

Sorry for not being any help on the headliner info, but if you're like me you'd probably do the sun visors while you're at it. I'm really interested if somebody wants to post a write-up, that'll save me from going to the shop :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've read somewhere in one of the forums that taking the headliner out & reinstalling is a pain. I believe that someone even said that they had to remove the rear window, but maybe there is a trick to doing it by now. Good luck, it will look awesome!
Here's a video of a Charger w/ suede interior here
SRT BTZ over on the other chargerforum z did his headliner (Among a ton of other things)

Also jontoad has done his, he's on the same forum

There's more info out there, just do a little digging...

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
There is a trick. I can't remember what it is but I know I read there is one.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i have taking in down now to about 15 min...

its not that difficult to take it down, but it wont come out of the car unless you remove the front windshield.
undo the screws in the lower side sections, this will allow you to see the screw holding down the section behind the seat belt post on the upper section. use small screw driver to pop open the clip that slides up and down.
then use a big torx to remove seat belt.
that upper will then pop out.
Remove visors and visor hold down parts with small torx.
pop down the center overhead.
the side rear grab handles use a slightly larger torx
if you have sunroof, just pull that trim rubber piece out.
In the rear, you dont need to remove the side panels, jut pull them down a bit and you can move the sunroof forward enough to get it back the trim.

I have been trying to get my sunroof to stop rattling, but cant get it to stop.I am going to replace the entire assembly to see if that helps.

I have tried to get it out without removing the sunroof, but i dont think it can happen. The only doors wide enough are the front but with the doors on, you wont be able to get the angle to get it out.

I would love to do the headliner in the dark color, my entire interior is the dark grey now, except from the shoulder up...but I wouldnt do it unless I could cover the side pillars and change the trim around the sunroof.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
How difficult would the procedure be with airbags in the headliner?

·
Registered
592 Posts
well, it's a good thing I logged in today. I am in the process of doing my headliner, pillars and other 'white-ish' parts in black suede.
I was hoping that I could remove the headliner from the car by pulling the front seats out instead of any glass.
I just finished one of the side pillars. The whole sliding mechanism was a bit intimidating at first, but after wrapping the pillar and carefully trimming and tucking the material into the slot with a putty knife, it was alot easier to put the sliding piece back in.
I did modify the sliding piece slightly in order to make the adjustability of the belt bracket a bit easier. I lightly sanded the rib that runs along each side of the sliding panel. This made enough room in the groove/slot for the suede cloth to fit between the sliding piece and the pillar cover.
It's difficult to explain, but once the pillar cover is off, you will see exactly what has to be done.

I was also a bit concerned with the odd shape of the pillar and the ability of the suede to conform without wrinkling or bunching up.

I'm using a dynamite spray adhesive that is stronger than anything I have ever found before. (I'm using this instead of the 3M super 90 adhesive that I had been using.)

Here's a couple of pics of my finished passenger side pillar.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
you can get the headliner out by folding it in have, folding the rear seats down, and taking it out the trunk. no need to remove any glass

·
Registered
8,719 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
While I can certainly respect the effort and quality of the red headliner, I think it is not for me.

Don't get me wrong; the quality looks to be spot on. I'm glad i saw one in red before I did it. It will be black for my project.
+++

·
Registered
285 Posts
While I can certainly respect the effort and quality of the red headliner, I think it is not for me.

Don't get me wrong; the quality looks to be spot on. I'm glad i saw one in red before I did it. It will be black for my project.
+++
thanks i got red cuz im goin to be getting two paint red and black,i seen a light grey it look nices

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
Gary i can pull your headliner down, its not a big deal . it'll take a bout an hour. Be careful messing with the pillar trim and headliner as this hampers anyone with side airbags performing their job

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gary i can pull your headliner down, its not a big deal . it'll take a bout an hour. Be careful messing with the pillar trim and headliner as this hampers anyone with side airbags performing their job
Cool so when I get the material we could meet up on one of your "not so busy" days lol...Maybe we could get the whole crew together and bullchit around.:rocker:

·
Registered
75 Posts
had my done[/QUOTE]

Hi SJ,
Where did you get it done at? How much did it cost? I am in Nor Cal and interested in getting my headliner done.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts