Charger Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their subwoofers installed in their chargers with the stock radio/dash unit? I have the 2014 R/T. Best buy told me that it would be a problem with my stock unit. Not too sure what to do now.

The subwoofers are two 12 inch kickers.

Thanks everyone.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
909 Posts
It's possible, you're going to need to purchase a line-out converter.

Reactions: eddiej23

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,504 Posts
What exactly is a line-out converter and what would it do?
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SLC4/Scosche-SLC4-Line-Output-Converter.html?tp=2001

So you're trying to connect an amplifier without speaker-level inputs to a car stereo that doesn't have preamp outputs? It can be done, but you'll need a line output converter to make it happen. The SLC4 from Scosche can handle up to four speaker-level inputs and four RCA outputs — enough for a 4-channel amp or a multi-amp setup.

Connect the speaker leads from your car stereo to the SLC4. It reduces the incoming speaker-level signals so that outgoing signals are compatible with the preamp inputs on your amplifier. You will then need to use two RCA patch cords (not included) to make the connections to your amp.

The SLC4 features adjustable gain settings on each channel, and it's compatible with any car stereo. Warranty: 90 days.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Your stock amp is only like 250 amps . You can't power two 12inch kickers your subs need their own amp to drive the power to them . Why do you need 2 12 inch subs for? If you want your car to sound great replace all speaker's with 7inch but the dash go 3 1/2 in the dash put all them on their own amp. Then get a mono for your subwoofers. Don't for get a good head unit.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your stock amp is only like 250 amps . You can't power two 12inch kickers your subs need their own amp to drive the power to them . Why do you need 2 12 inch subs for? If you want your car to sound great replace all speaker's with 7inch but the dash go 3 1/2 in the dash put all them on their own amp. Then get a mono for your subwoofers. Don't for get a good head unit.
Well I forgot to mention that I do own a amp that can power the subs. It is Alpine 500w dual amp. Ive had the audio set up in my other car, and just wanted to transfer the whole thing over to my charger. I really don't want to replace my stock head unit with navi for an after macket unit.

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,504 Posts
Thank you!! :beerchug:
YW!

You don't have to get that exact one, I was just showing you what they look like and how they work!

·
Registered
826 Posts
I wrote my amplifier and sub upgrade in my 2012 here. I used a line out converter and discuss a couple options there. The difference between 1 or two subs is 3dB so you might also consider just using one and pairing with a matched amp that can maximize the capability. Not so difficult of a DIY job if you are willing to spend the time.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233682

Reactions: Pak

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great write up bro. I have the 10 speaker alpine system on my r/t. What are your thoughts on upgrading the 8" woofer on the rear deck and running it with an RF P200.2? I know the stock 8" is DVC but is it a 4ohm or 2ohm?

·
Registered
826 Posts
I am pretty sure it is DVC 2 Ohm. Although I measured the stock 6x9 speakers in mine-should be the same as yours-and they are all about 3.7-3.9 Ohm. The Bridged P200 will run 200W into 4 Ohm, which should be just right for a shallow mount 8". I have read on other forums that the Pioneer, Image Dynamics, and a Kicker shallow 8" will fit and work well and work in that power range. The Pioneer/ID has dual 2 OHM and the Kicker has Single 4 Ohm, so any would be good. I think you will need an LOC though, because the RF amp only take low-level input. You might be able to use the RF speaker-to-RCA adapter but it might take some wiring tricks to get that done. Can't just hook them to + and -, but need to hook the - to the radio chassis, which means running wire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I already have the interface thing that hooks up to the head unit. I was running that amp bridged to a 12" kicker impulse but i fried it. I also fried two 12" kicker comps. The woofers were a little old, so hopefully that was the issue. They sounded great before they fried. lol
The only thing I did notice is that when I raised the volume, the bass would kinda fade and not kick as hard as when I had the volume lower. Thanks for the information on the subs bro. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
826 Posts
No problem and glad to be of help!

The reason the 12's failed on you might have been that they were underpowered if you were using that amp or something similar. Those take a lot of watts. Make sure you match amp RMS power to speaker RMS to prevent that. What you are planning should be good.

If you need help/advice happy to try my best.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I also have a 2012 with the Alpine speakers which I believe the system is about 500 watts.

Did you leave the rear stock sub tied in and just take a lead from the stock wire to sub and tie in the 2 Alpine 12 inch subs?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I also have a 2012 with the Alpine speakers which I believe the system is about 500 watts.

Did you leave the rear stock sub tied in and just take a lead from the stock wire to sub and tie in the 2 Alpine 12 inch subs?

If you are asking me, I have not attempted to set up my subs yet! When I do I will let you know

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 18 of 18 Posts