Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a stop light and I see a vehicle with a large nostril creeping behind me. It was a subara WRX. He just happened to be one a member of one of the local import tuner clubs. I Smoked one of the Scion TCs (car had a turbo, I pulled away while he was at 8000 boost :) in thier club so they have had an interest in the HEMI for some time,I see the guy all the time and has a newfound respect for american muscle. So I place the car in 1st, green light, I launch. I was only gonna go light to light, so I was ahead from the jump, but about 3/4 of the way, he begins to pull and then passes right before the next light. I could hear the turbo in the little bugger. Stops and give me a thumbs up. Not bad for a guy with just a CAI and exhaust :grin:

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, he was moving, the only thing that puzzled me is that the level of acceleration in the last bit was uncanny. It looked like I was standing still. I saw in his apillar some guages, so there may have been some NOS.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Yeah they're fast little buggers. here usually you'll see kids driving those cars with fart cans and tricked out to the bones.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I met a guy at the track with a stock one, and that night his best time was 14 flat. I think they are fast, but overrated. Just like evo's all performance, and not features. It is a $35k car, and when you sit in one, it is like being in a $10k car.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I met a guy at the track with a stock one, and that night his best time was 14 flat. I think they are fast, but overrated. Just like evo's all performance, and not features. It is a $35k car, and when you sit in one, it is like being in a $10k car.
Yes, yeah I agree with you. those cars have no style what so ever. But the younger croud seems to like them alot

·
Registered
149 Posts
They are a riot to drive with the allwheel traction. They hit dirt and dig in as if they are on the pavement. They are definitely not attractive in the least!! Ugly, ugly, but a blast to drive.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Ya, I'll stick with my charger. I am a big guy, and I need a big car anyways.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ya, I'll stick with my charger. I am a big guy, and I need a big car anyways.
Yeah me too, thats why I traded in the SRT-4. Lots of fun but very uncomfortable to drive. I didnt fit in the SRT seats due in part to my "girthliness" and being 6'2" and partially gray, something just didnt seem right with the looks people gave me. While the Daytone isnt as quick, it sure is a pleasure to drive! And I get much better looks.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The WRX, EVO, and SRT-4 are running off 4 cylinders (boxer, 4G63, and 420A I beleive) until about 3300rpm. So, that fly by was ALL turbo. They're very fun cars, but not worth 30k (which is why I'll take a SRT-4 at 20k over the other 2 ANY day). that HEMI is no slouch tho. Good times.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
They are a riot to drive with the allwheel traction. They hit dirt and dig in as if they are on the pavement. They are definitely not attractive in the least!! Ugly, ugly, but a blast to drive.
AWD is a real hoot in the snow too. I'm not particularly fond of the Scooby or Evo looks either, but they haul A55 with a little bit of modding. If I was going to get another AWD I'd probably go back to an Audi though. Of all the AWD systems I've ever used and worked on, the Quattro (mechanical torsen diff) system seemed to perform the best and be the most bullet proof over time.

Best,

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Dang, I thought we should be able to run all over the WRX's.
I know the STI's will smoke us in a second, but damn....I thought we could toast the standard WRX.
Ehh, maybe my mods woul dpush me past em

·
Suspended User
2,400 Posts
Dang, I thought we should be able to run all over the WRX's.
I know the STI's will smoke us in a second, but damn....I thought we could toast the standard WRX.
Ehh, maybe my mods woul dpush me past em
x2. ive beat 2 but never raced form a stop always from about 20-100mph:)

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Yes, yeah I agree with you. those cars have no style what so ever. But the younger croud seems to like them alot
the faster they get the more people like them. i remeber when the wrx were considered very ugly, but fast lol :) they are respectable cars but I could not pay that much for a car so small . from some angles my 1994 Sentra actually felt like It had more room than those cars :) . but be warned a few thousand goes along way in those cars and 12-13 seconds is not hard to get. I have seen sorry drivers get some pretty good times. you can listen to the cars run teh 1/4 and some people just dont shift worth a [email protected]# and still get decent times in those cars lol lol

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Yeah, he was moving, the only thing that puzzled me is that the level of acceleration in the last bit was uncanny. It looked like I was standing still. I saw in his apillar some guages, so there may have been some NOS.
he may have had a larger turbo that gives more performance on the top side.
I have seen some make up crazy ground just after the 1/8 mi point. almost like an old school big block.

·
Registered
609 Posts
A regular wrx won't beat you like that, was it an STI?? They might have been messing with you, because an RT, or an SRT for that matter stands no chance off the line. The good AWD drivers rev it up and dump the clutch anywhere from 4-6.5k. I've raced a few regular WRX's and they beat me off the line, but I reeled them in. Sounds like it was an STI with some goodies.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I traded my '02 WRX for my Daytona. It was, with basic boltons and ECU programming, most definitely a faster car than the Daytona. It would run out of breath around 100mph. Yes, dumping the clutch would absolutely smoke an R/T off the line, but I see no reason why the WRX in this story couldn't be a non-STi. Best 1/4 with my mods was 13 flat at 101mph.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I was at a stop light and I see a vehicle with a large nostril creeping behind me. It was a subara WRX. He just happened to be one a member of one of the local import tuner clubs. I Smoked one of the Scion TCs (car had a turbo, I pulled away while he was at 8000 boost :) in thier club so they have had an interest in the HEMI for some time,I see the guy all the time and has a newfound respect for american muscle. So I place the car in 1st, green light, I launch. I was only gonna go light to light, so I was ahead from the jump, but about 3/4 of the way, he begins to pull and then passes right before the next light. I could hear the turbo in the little bugger. Stops and give me a thumbs up. Not bad for a guy with just a CAI and exhaust :grin:
You took him on the launch?! That's very impressive.

I raced a yellow WRX last summer and he blew my doors off on the launch... ahead 2 car lengths in about the first couple seconds. Of course, he did one hell of a clutch drop to do that. I ran him down, and laid off when I pulled even with him at 80-90 mph... I was pulling on him very hard then.

How well those cars perform is very driver dependent. I visited a WRX forum after that and some of them were producing timeslips in the high 13's stock. Of course, with the AWD their trapspeeds were generally low-mid 90's meaning a Hemi's monster torque would be rapidly making up the lost ground in a race...

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A regular wrx won't beat you like that, was it an STI?? They might have been messing with you, because an RT, or an SRT for that matter stands no chance off the line. The good AWD drivers rev it up and dump the clutch anywhere from 4-6.5k. I've raced a few regular WRX's and they beat me off the line, but I reeled them in. Sounds like it was an STI with some goodies.

I don't recall it being an STI. I think my friend had a few goodies under the hood. I would have actually taken him......until my that last leg, where it looked like his car became a rocket.

You took him on the launch?! That's very impressive.

I raced a yellow WRX last summer and he blew my doors off on the launch... ahead 2 car lengths in about the first couple seconds. Of course, he did one hell of a clutch drop to do that. I ran him down, and laid off when I pulled even with him at 80-90 mph... I was pulling on him very hard then.

How well those cars perform is very driver dependent. I visited a WRX forum after that and some of them were producing timeslips in the high 13's stock. Of course, with the AWD their trapspeeds were generally low-mid 90's meaning a Hemi's monster torque would be rapidly making up the lost ground in a race...
Believe me, I was shocked too. It was about an 1/8 of a mile, so wasn't till the end where he passed me. All I knew was I was pulling away, then the gap closed, and flew by me. Car cut down the space like a hot knife through butter.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.