Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's my situation:

I bought my Charger RT "almost new" with 4,000 miles from the original owner so I don't have a window sticker, invoice, etc... I thought it was an RT with a few interesting mods but that's all.

Now, I'm suspecting that it has the Road & Track package because of the following:
  • It has the dark slate Road & Track seats
  • It has every optional piece of equipment that is included in the R&T package
  • It has bright chrome exhaust tips
  • It has a very tight steering and suspension setup
  • I did an info search on th VIN and it came up as 350 HP instead of the base 340 HP
The only thing that confuses me is that the car had the chrome cross-hair grill with black inserts which I thought was only on the base RT. It also had some ugly chrome inserts that covered the stock black ones ... the original owner must've really liked chrome ... which leads me to suspect that he may have actually replaced the grill with the chrome.

So, here's my question: Is there a way for me to tell, possibly by the VIN or some other clue, whether this car is a base RT or if it has the Road & Track package?

·
Registered
236 Posts
If the seats have RT on them, its almost guaranteed its a road and track. I dont think anyone would upgrade, because it would just cost too much instead of just buying a RT & RT

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
SOund like it is a R&T.
But it wont have RT on the seats as they didnt do that untill the 07's.
Yea, if the steering is tight, and it has the seats...its a R&T.
Heated seats and whatnot???

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
There is one very simple test, but it requires a very open road and no cops. If the car can go past 130 mph it's a Road and Track. The regular r/ts are limited at 128, the road and tracks are limited at 150 or so.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is one very simple test, but it requires a very open road and no cops. If the car can go past 130 mph it's a Road and Track. The regular r/ts are limited at 128, the road and tracks are limited at 150 or so.
WOW!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
One other way to tell is the airbox. It's unusual for someone to replace an R/T one with R&T - usually they'd just go with a CAI. I say usually, since I sold mine when I got a CAI. Unfortunately, I could tell at a glance which is which, but I don't have a handy picture. Mine sold before I even got around to taking pics.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let's see:

Heated seats? YES
Heated mirrors? NOT SURE ... I THINK SO ... WINTER WILL TELL
Air box? I REMOVED IT AND INSTALLED AFE STAGE II CAI (still have the box though)
Seats? NO STITCHING, BUT IT'S AN '06

It's going to visit the dealer on Monday to troubleshoot a tire pressure monitoring system warning lamp on the dash (could that be a hint?) and I'll see if they can determine but I appreciate all of the feedback, suggestions and input. ISN'T THIS FORUM GREAT?

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
If the seats have RT on them, its almost guaranteed its a road and track. I dont think anyone would upgrade, because it would just cost too much instead of just buying a RT & RT
LOTS of ppl just upgrade their seats. It is not uncommon at all:smoke:

·
Registered
928 Posts
its an R&T, the red badges, stitching, chin spoiler didnt come till 07. unless someone really wanted to fork out the 2+ grand for the upgraded seats in front.

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
its an R&T, the red badges, stitching, chin spoiler didnt come till 07. unless someone really wanted to fork out the 2+ grand for the upgraded seats in front.
2 grand? not for the R&T seats. I have seen them on cleveland pick a parts website for a grand.

·
Registered
928 Posts
you should have bought them then. they are like 1800 bucks. srt's are 2300 i think.

more than most people are willing to pay anyway

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
On the R&T the stock air box has a rounded top and the tube has a larger
diameter at the end where it attaches to the air box.

The R/T air box is squared off on top and has lines/ridges across the top.
The tube stays the same size.

This pic shows a R&T air box.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken, then it's chicken.

-R

·
Registered
214 Posts
From the features that you listed, sounds like you have an '06 R&T. It's possible, but I can't see someone going to all of that trouble and $$ to try to build a clone when they could have just bought an original R&T in the first place. FYI, the speedo should top out at 142 mph... it does for the '07s, but you can fix that problem with an SC or Diablo tune.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Its very possible that the first owner modded the car with the chrome cross bar grille, just like how you modded it with a Daytona grille.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Actually..

Doesn't the speedometer go up to 140 MPH on a R/T and 160 MPH on a R/T R&T and Daytona? Correct me if I'm wrong..

-R

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Actually..

Doesn't the speedometer go up to 140 MPH on a R/T and 160 MPH on a R/T R&T and Daytona? Correct me if I'm wrong..

-R
I believe so

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.