Charger Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of this air intake filter talk got me to go check mine. The tab on the left of the airbox was completely off. There's 3 on the 392, the middle one was broke when I bought the car, the one I broke today was just sitting in the tab spot, hanging on by a hair, but broken, for 4 years now I removed the plastic piece, now theres about a 1 inch gap opening. I'll post a pic. I opened the lid to the airbox, and there is a plastic divider between the AC hose inlet and the engine air intake, so even with the crack I don't think I'm worried about anything getting into the engine. I wedged a piece of cloth in there for now.

Keep in mind, the piece has been broken, sitting in that slot, for 4 years and 50k miles now, the gap is just empty because I removed the plastic piece.

Am I good to go?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Lol I broke the tab on mine last weekend just pulling it off. Little gap just like yours. I plan on just epoxying back on to close the gap just Incase it might draw in some contaminants

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol I broke the tab on mine last weekend just pulling it off. Little gap just like yours. I plan on just epoxying back on to close the gap just Incase it might draw in some contaminants
I tried, and because I have to bend it to get the tab under, it just wouldn't hold. I may just get a piece of black Gorilla tape to cover it. I wedged a piece of cloth in there and it was snug, but the paranoid person in my didn't want it to get dislodged and sucked up. I did have my wife sit in the seat and give it has, and it's suction through that little opening wasn't noticeable. Like I said, it's been broken like that for 4 years, I just removed the piece of broken plastic.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I tried, and because I have to bend it to get the tab under, it just wouldn't hold. I may just get a piece of black Gorilla tape to cover it. I wedged a piece of cloth in there and it was snug, but the paranoid person in my didn't want it to get dislodged and sucked up. I did have my wife sit in the seat and give it has, and it's suction through that little opening wasn't noticeable. Like I said, it's been broken like that for 4 years, I just removed the piece of broken plastic.
Yeah that does sound scary. Well the top box is less than 40 bucks so probably worth to buy for peace of mind

·
Registered
842 Posts
^ that or maybe someone has an airbox laying around after installing an oiled filter that they can part with.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah that does sound scary. Well the top box is less than 40 bucks so probably worth to buy for peace of mind View attachment 291962
That looks like it is for the Hellcat 6.2. From what I am seeing, it is $138.00 for the 6.4 assembly.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That looks like it is for the Hellcat 6.2. From what I am seeing, it is $138.00 for the 6.4 assembly.
Correct, that is for the hellcat. However from what I’m told is that the upper air cover is exactly the same for both scatpack and hellcat. Lower air boxes are different but accept the same top cover. That particular website and also rock auto wouldn’t give me the option to buy just the top cover on the 392 but would on the hellcat. Weird.

·
Registered
152 Posts
^ that or maybe someone has an airbox laying around after installing an oiled filter that they can part with.
Yeah that’s true. So many people replace with a CAI that many probably have the old one laying around collecting dust

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Correct, that is for the hellcat. However from what I’m told is that the upper air cover is exactly the same for both scatpack and hellcat. Lower air boxes are different but accept the same top cover. That particular website and also rock auto wouldn’t give me the option to buy just the top cover on the 392 but would on the hellcat. Weird.
If you have anything that can show me that is correct I would appreciate it. From what I saw, the 6.2L and 6.4L lower are interchangeable, but the upper is different.

But yeah if anyone has one they want to sell lemme know!

I may just take a piece of weatherstripping and glue it in place against the flat plastic strip on the lower part of the box.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The upper part is different between the 6.2 and 6.4. The inlet is 4.5" on the 6.2, vs 4.0" on the 6.4. Also, I don't see the AC connector inlet on the 6.2 upper.

You can find the Hellcat upper for less than $40 bucks all over the place, but I can't find one for the 392 for less than $130 And it's the whole assembly not just the upper portion.

If anyone sees anything, let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you have anything that can show me that is correct I would appreciate it. From what I saw, the 6.2L and 6.4L lower are interchangeable, but the upper is different.

But yeah if anyone has one they want to sell lemme know!

I may just take a piece of weatherstripping and glue it in place against the flat plastic strip on the lower part of the box.
I was trying to find matching part numbers for you but I’ve looked on about half a dozen Mopar parts sites and not one of them will offer to sell just the upper lid for the 392. All will for the hellcat. I can’t understand why. It’s been a while since I heard the lids are the same so there’s a chance I could be misinformed. I eventually plan on replacing the whole air box to the hellcat air box so I can get the grill with snorkel tubes connected. Maybe I should wait to buy a new cover for then

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, I checked it out. Notice the ac supply inlet is perpendicular to the air inlet. On the 2012-12 it is right next to the inlet, so for that to work is have to get a longer hose.

Think I'm just going to stop at the hardware store and see if I can get a piece of rubber weatherstripping to stick in that spot.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Besides the tabs breaking from the force of wrestling the lid, the bottom of the rubber bellows sometimes collapses from handling where you can't see it which causes a slight obstruction. I always run my hand under the bellows to be sure they are in place.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Besides the tabs breaking from the force of wrestling the lid, the bottom of the rubber bellows sometimes collapses from handling where you can't see it which causes a slight obstruction. I always run my hand under the bellows to be sure they are in place.
Yeah, it has a weird design. You have to almost try and slide it towards the motor, then out and up to get the rubber strip free so you can lift the whole thing up. Then obviously trying to get it back in place is what puts stress on the tabs.

My wife's Kia Sorento was the absolute worst to change the air filter. I'm 6'2" and either had to stand on something, or halfway hang over the engine to get to it.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's what I did. Cost me 3.29 for some foam 3/8" weatherstripping. Could have done a little cleaner job, but I'm satisfied.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I always take the 2 bolts out holding the reservoir so I can move it out of the way gives me plenty of room to finagle the cover off/on and to make sure the stabilizing pin is seated in the grommet properly.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts