Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a black 06 charger r/t two weeks ago. After putting 300 miles on it, the computer for the trasmission locked out my auto stick and "defaulted" the auto trans into second gear, which only allowed me to drive up to 40 mph. I was told at the service dept. that the computer goes into this "default" mode when the computer senses a problem in the transmission in order to prevent excessive revving. Since that time, the Service Dept. was not able to initially diagnose the problem and had to talk to the Chrysler techs. They replaced some type of module in the computer, but that didn't fix the problem. Now they are waiting on some type of a laminated circuit board, which may or may not fix the problem. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Please advise.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have nothing to add as far as problems go, since i dont own one. My question is, how are all these little problems im reading about not already fixed by the MY06? That platform and everything in it has already been around for a year. More than enough time to get the bugs worked out.

·
Registered
170 Posts
There was a posting from one of us about his Daytona was in the repair bay when he got to the dealership to pick it up. Would not shift out of first gear if I remember correctly.

Maybe it's good I'm waiting for my car (side airbag). Hope they are looking at the warranty repairs and making improvements in production/parts month by month.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE: The service dept. replaced the electrohydraulic control unit and installed a new lead board and solenoid. This remedied the problem since the car is running fine (so far). Hopefully this will help someone else who may experience this problem.

·
Registered
352 Posts
some times the speed sensior will go out and cause the tranny to lock up in 2nd gear

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hello folks:
My truck had that problem intermittently when I bought it. The dealer replaced parts / modules to no avail. Finally they opened, cleaned, and resealed an electrical connector. It has run perfectly ever since.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just had somewhat of the same problem. I was like WTH? I was driving down the road and noticed it was like I was using a manual trans...It stayed at about 3500 rpms...

When I was pulling into the parking lot, I noticed a digital number beside the gear selection display that went from "3" to "2" to "1". I thought it was sorta of cool at first, but then it wouldn't shift up out of 2nd. I thought it would if I gave more throttle, but I was about to park, so I just ignored it.

Came back outside, got back in, and all is fine again. This was just today, so I don't know if it will do it again or not...praying not.

·
Registered
112 Posts
OuttaFokus said:
I have nothing to add as far as problems go, since i dont own one. My question is, how are all these little problems im reading about not already fixed by the MY06? That platform and everything in it has already been around for a year. More than enough time to get the bugs worked out.
For the Charger, this, it's initial run, is the 2006 model year. Therefore, all these issues now being reported should hopefully be resolved for the 2007 release.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Jadkyl said:
For the Charger, this, it's initial run, is the 2006 model year. Therefore, all these issues now being reported should hopefully be resolved for the 2007 release.
Now why did you have to go and say a mean and terrible thing like that! Just downright cruel... (total sarcasm :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
202 Posts
true enough but its the same shifter and trans that have been used in the benz's since 2000.

that trans is ****in stout but usually, if something goes wrong its

A-the shifter (people spill drinks in it all the time haha)
B-the valve body (also called the electrohydraulic unit)
C-the control unit. (rarely goes bad, sometimes fills with trans fluid...you'll see)

the dodge boys'll pick this up soon enough haha.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I am a total tool...I figured out why my trans was "sticking"...I had unknowingly engaged the manumatic transmission. I didn't realize it until I was sitting at a stoplight and playing with the gear shifter...

I like it this way!

AND I had no idea it could do this, I have been driving Ford F-150's for the last 5 years...lol.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Lol. Tip-Tronics (AKA Manumatic or Auto-Stick) are GREAT. I've never been a big fan of driving stick.. you get more control, but the clutch is just annoying. The Tip-Tronics let you shift gears and at the same time, they protect you from staying in any gear too long. If it needs to change, it does. How sweet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
mine was stuck in second gear and I work the steering wheel controls didn't work my power mirrors didn't work my speedometer doesn't work and the transmission was stuck in second gear when you go over 3,000 RPMs and it ended up being transmission fuse in the front are Control Center and 2:30 amp fuses in the back and possibly the IOD fuse which is in your rear fuse box and at the pull it out for like 20 minutes or after doing that change it out Caesars and pull in the iod fuse everything is good

·
Registered
859 Posts
mine was stuck in second gear and I work the steering wheel controls didn't work my power mirrors didn't work my speedometer doesn't work and the transmission was stuck in second gear when you go over 3,000 RPMs and it ended up being transmission fuse in the front are Control Center and 2:30 amp fuses in the back and possibly the IOD fuse which is in your rear fuse box and at the pull it out for like 20 minutes or after doing that change it out Caesars and pull in the iod fuse everything is good
I'd like to think that after 16 years, they fixed it already...or traded it in on something else

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd like to think that after 16 years, they fixed it already...or traded it in on something else
I didn't realize this was an old discussion and after reading thread after thread only to find out that there was know follow up or answer to what actually fixed the problem. I figured I would take the time to post what fixed mine so maybe someone else doesn't have to search as long as I did.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts